Darkhorse Farm crawling corse.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa crawler

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
I have built up a small crawling course in my back yard.
I use it to test my rigs performance and practice my driving.
it started with a rock retaining wall that hold back a garden. First truck found one or two ways to climb. Now there are 12 climbs and a couple lines I will get to one day.

On the other side is a very steep ramp to test traction and a bridge of doom. The exit of which goes sideways to test side hilling.

I can go over both sets of obstacles in about five minutes. Best run is a four wheel steering G speed V3 chassis rig that went 4:56 with no fault.

I just ordered a ton of boulders and a ton of gravel to add some difficulty.
A run consists of starting before the bridge and crawling over narrow 4x4 posts then a 180 deg turn over the bridge. Next I hit the rocks. This is an old photo. It shows 5 climbs. There are now 12 plus a mandatory trip over the little ramp. And then a run across the top of the rocks not touching the ground behind . Then back over the bridge and the 4x4s to the finish.

I am going to add some big rocks before the bridge so you have to turn around on the rocks . And change the other course to make 15 climbs. I want to make the best runs about ten minutes.

When a rig does well it is the champ. When a rigs falls short I might upgrade the champ and move the good stuff to the weaker vehicle. That brings up the weaker vehicle and the champs gets new stuff.

Unless the weaker vehicle is never going to be a real rock crawler. Then it gets things like lights hard body or what ever. They are called trail trucks and hold bigger batteries. Less overdrive to the front axle.

ECBBED69-77C5-41EC-B1E3-D8DC35140656.jpeg
3D0B8BBA-2425-4556-B6F4-28B52B1A4715.jpeg

Nice crawler course especially once you get all your gravel!

Curious though, is that a light of some sort on the corner of your porch? Looks like a giant lantern but I've never seen anything that big before.

Nice crawler course especially once you get all your gravel!

Curious though, is that a light of some sort on the corner of your porch? Looks like a giant lantern but I've never seen anything that big before.
That is a heater I think.

Very fun looking course!

That is a propane heater. Cost $99.00 it will actually heat the outdoors. It is surprisingly efficient. One tank of propane last all winter. And it gets freaking HOT. I mean you can’t stand to close to it.

Last edited:
That is a propane heater. Cost $99.00 it will actually heat the outdoors. It is surprisingly efficient. One tank of propane last all winter. And it gets freaking HOT. I mean you can stand to close to it.
Oh, I bet in a drunken stooper I could get close enough to grab the gazillion degree chimney tube to hold myself up 🤣

The tube is not hot. All the heat is under that top part. It actually glows red. You can sit under it with a beer and turn it all the way down. I’m in Iowa and sit outside in very cold weather. It’s nice as long as the wind is not to strong.

The tube is not hot. All the heat is under that top part. It actually glows red. You can sit under it with a beer and turn it all the way down. I’m in Iowa and sit outside in very cold weather. It’s nice as long as the wind is not to strong.
Interesting. Never seen one. Now I'm wondering if I need one lol

I love backyard courses. This is great. You even have the puppers and kitty to make things more of a challenge 🤣
That is hilarious. I looked at that pic and even zoomed in and didn't see them there! Awesome.

Eye test... count the grranimals 😉

That is hilarious. I looked at that pic and even zoomed in and didn't see them there! Awesome.

Eye test... count the grranimals 😉
I saw dogo right away. Kitty is camouflaged. Stealth kitty! 🤣
Don't forget ninja kitty back by the fence too!

I saw dogo right away. Kitty is camouflaged. Stealth kitty! 🤣
It is even better. When you mentioned the animals, I went back and looked and saw the dog. Then I was like "where the hell is a cat"? Then I looked over to the right and saw a black furball and figured maybe that was a cat? Looking like the 4th time - I finally saw the cat.

Last edited:
Last edited:
it started with a rock retaining wall that hold back a garden. First truck found one or two ways to climb. Now there are 12 climbs and a couple lines I will get to one day.

On the other side is a very steep ramp to test traction and a bridge of doom. The exit of which goes sideways to test side hilling.

I can go over both sets of obstacles in about five minutes. Best run is a four wheel steering G speed V3 chassis rig that went 4:56 with no fault.

A run consists of starting before the bridge and crawling over narrow 4x4 posts then a 180 deg turn over the bridge. Next I hit the rocks. This is an old photo. It shows 5 climbs. There are now 12 plus a mandatory trip over the little ramp. And then a run across the top of the rocks not touching the ground behind . Then back over the bridge and the 4x4s to the finish.

I am going to add some big rocks before the bridge so you have to turn around on the rocks . And change the other course to make 15 climbs. I want to make the best runs about ten minutes.

When a rig does well it is the champ. When a rigs falls short I might upgrade the champ and move the good stuff to the weaker vehicle. That brings up the weaker vehicle and the champs gets new stuff.

Unless the weaker vehicle is never going to be a real rock crawler. Then it gets things like lights hard body or what ever. They are called trail trucks and hold bigger batteries. Less overdrive to the front axle.

View attachment 131046View attachment 131047
Nice diy course, IC!

Last fall, I went out to the back of my property to clean out an area to build a course for my 1/14 WPL Hilux. Comes to find out that there was already a nice natural course hidden beneath all the leaves and foliage.
1129201606a_Burst01.jpg
1121201401e.jpg

I’m trying to figure out how to make it work with snow. Nice to have a winter wonder land project. Maybe trails with a snow blower and solar light package.
I just added the crawling course as part of my snow removal chore.

Last edited:
Nice diy course, IC!

Last fall, I went out to the back of my property to clean out an area to build a course for my 1/14 WPL Hilux. Comes to find out that there was already a nice natural course hidden beneath all the leaves and foliage.
View attachment 131052View attachment 131053

I just added the crawling course as part of my snow removal chore.
New subscriber man. That rocks! And the music is killer lol. Love that Hilux too!

New subscriber man. That rocks! And the music is killer lol. Love that Hilux too!
Thanks, Bro, but I'm not a real YTer. I just post videos on YT inorder to easily post stuff up on forums and to share stuff with friends and family.
Haha and that music is part of the free music from the In-Shot app.

Last edited:
Thanks, Bro, but I'm not a real YTer. I just post videos on YT inorder to easily post stuff up on forums and to share stuff with friends and family.
Well that vid was YT worthy bro. I love watching little run vids.

I am not real big on it either, but my son is wanting to be famous I think, so I do it for him. But it is kinda fun actually.

Well that vid was YT worthy bro. I love watching little run vids.

I am not real big on it either, but my son is wanting to be famous I think, so I do it for him. But it is kinda fun actually.
Thank you for the kind words!

He has a positive interest, so keep on feeding it! Hey you never know, he could become a YT ⭐

View attachment 131046View attachment 131047
Thats a awesome course man very cool.. I would never leave once it's done. Got to love the added animal obstacles.. my dog wouldn't let you get to the first challenge before she grab the RC..🤣🤣 well done sir 👍👍