Project: ☠️ Dead Twins ☠️

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xraycer

RCTalk VIP
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Messages
6,878
Reaction score
15,540
Location
NH
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Flying
I'm not much of a wrencher, but will, when I have to. Mostly because I'm short attention spanned and lazy (like @Doom! ). However, I'm recently come to be kinda obsessed with these small Axial SCX24s.
Why? 1) They are very well engineered for the purpose of crawling 2) super crawlers, which translate into super fun 3) because of their minute size, crawling courses/opportunities are a plenty!

I've already begun the modding, but figured I would do a build thread. Just for the fun of chronicalling purposes....and also just for sh*ts and giggles!

So, Project: Dead Twins.......

I've had my red Deadbolt for around a year now, and I've fairly recently acquired the green one as well. I well be building these 2 up to be highly modded comp crawlers. Although, they will be slightly different in build, and not exactly identical.

The red Deadbolt I have now dubbed: Redrum. Some of you old farts may recognize this famous tag.
The green one: Goblin. Just because I like the word goblin.

Redrum is now sporting: RC4WD pressed steel wheels, RC4WD Mud Slingers, brass steering knuckles, brass extension hexes, and front and rear brass diff covers.

Goblin: RC4WD pressed steel wheels, RC4WD Scramblers, front and rear extended axle shafts, brass extension hexes, front brass diff cover, and just yesterday an Emax servo with an Injora aluminum servo tray.

Both rigs have all the shock springs removed and the shocks invertly mounted. With the extensions, Redrum sits 130mm in width, and Goblin at a massive 140mm. A stock SCX24 is about 100mm. Redrum may have the Emax servo mounted today.

That is it for now, but I just place an order for more upgrades, this morning, on Alieexpress, so it'll be coming on the slow boat from China. Probably don't get here until the end of the month. At over 50% on savings, it'll be worth the wait. Plus, I'm in no hurry.
1230212127.jpg
1230212127b.jpg
1230212128e.jpg
1230212128c.jpg
1230212129.jpg
1230212129c.jpg
1230212131.jpg
1230212131a_HDR.jpg
1230212131b_HDR.jpg
 
Sweet! Love the new names my lazy compadre! As usual, I wish we were closer, my Ogre and Furbolt would love to have a play date with Redrum and Goblin. Why does it suddenly sound like we are playing D&D instead of talking RC's? 🤣🤣🤣
 
Sweet! Love the new names my lazy compadre! As usual, I wish we were closer, my Ogre and Furbolt would love to have a play date with Redrum and Goblin. Why does it suddenly sound like we are playing D&D instead of talking RC's? 🤣🤣🤣
Oh, we're not? I'll be right back!
1031201809a.jpg
 
Bro, how much damage you figure you are going to do with a curtain rod strapped to your back?:p
Those curtain rods are sleeper weapons of death, my good man!
Nothing wrong with a good bruising I guess...;)

I figured I'll leave the carpet matching the drapes comment out...:eek:
You're assuming I keep a lawn 😂
 
I've been trying to figure out a way to modify the Deadbolt's body to get full clearance, from their monster tires, without having to trim the fenders. This is what I finally came up with, and I'm very happy with the results.
My solution is to flex the door panels towards the chassis. I first glued a section of craft sticks along the inside edge, so the entire section will move together without much flexing. I drilled a hole through the bottom panel, and then one through the top of the "interior". I ran a steel wire from hole to hole, and when I got the flex I wanted, I secured the wire ends.
0108220748.jpg
0108220753a.jpg
0108220748_HDR.jpg
0108220747.jpg
0108220746.jpg
 
I've been trying to figure out a way to modify the Deadbolt's body to get full clearance, from their monster tires, without having to trim the fenders. This is what I finally came up with, and I'm very happy with the results.
My solution is to flex the door panels towards the chassis. I first glued a section of craft sticks along the inside edge, so the entire section will move together without much flexing. I drilled a hole through the bottom panel, and then one through the top of the "interior". I ran a steel wire from hole to hole, and when I got the flex I wanted, I secured the wire ends.
View attachment 140280View attachment 140279View attachment 140281View attachment 140282View attachment 140284
Here's a better angle
0108222050b.jpg
 
Back
Top