1/24 Outdoor Course / lets see what you got!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa_dude

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Crawling
  2. Flying
Worked on this a while today. Been crawling on this for a little bit now, figured Id go all out and make it a full blown course me and the family can compete on. There's lots of forest litter still frozen on the top soil, but I've cleaned up several trees and shrubs. I still need to take the chainsaw up there. raked a ton of leaves and sticks out of the way. I'm going to add some sand and river rock here and there. I'll have to re arrange and stack some of the rock you see in places. Will add tunnels and some concrete additions eventually. Also studying and planning on building some ridged, and suspension log and plank bridges, maybe get started on that here shortly. Gate poles and flags are already in the works. The Yellow highlight will be the course "ish", Blue is good ground and future additions. Hard to show in pictures. Show us your home course, we can help each other come up with some good ideas and keep it interesting!
Track 1.jpg
track 2.jpg
track 3.jpg

When I got back into the hobby, in the fall of 2020, I began with a WPL 1/16 Hilux. Crawling with this little guy, I come to discover a really nice course right on my property.
Been here since 2004, but I had never really ventured back here. Underneath all the fallen leaves were all these rocks and boulders. It took just a bit of effort to bring forth what I now named, the Pond Course, because it runs along my little catch-all pond on my property.
Then, this past fall, I uncovered another cool little crawling spot adjacent to the side of the house. These boulders were put here why the house construction company to act as a retaining barrier against the steep grade. Once again, a little effort exposed all the fun technical crawl rock terrain. I dub this one, the Cliff Course, because of the fairly steep and long grade it sits on.
1121201403.jpg
1121201402a_Burst01.jpg
1129201609_Burst01.jpg
1129201608_Burst01.jpg
1121201401e.jpg
1128211329i.jpg
1024211633c.jpg
1024211636a.jpg
1024211647a.jpg
1024211645_Burst01.jpg

When I got back into the hobby, in the fall of 2020, I began with a WPL 1/16 Hilux. Crawling with this little guy, I come to discover a really nice course right on my property.
Been here since 2004, but I had never really ventured back here. Underneath all the fallen leaves were all these rocks and boulders. It took just a bit of effort to bring forth what I now named, the Pond Course, because it runs along my little catch-all pond on my property.
Then, this past fall, I uncovered another cool little crawling spot adjacent to the side of the house. These boulders were put here why the house construction company to act as a retaining barrier against the steep grade. Once again, a little effort exposed all the fun technical crawl rock terrain. I dub this one, the Cliff Course, because of the fairly steep and long grade it sits on.
View attachment 141592View attachment 141593View attachment 141594View attachment 141595View attachment 141596View attachment 141597View attachment 141598View attachment 141599View attachment 141600View attachment 141601
That's awesome man.

Living in the burbs doesn't provide much in terms of a crawling course. Backyard is all concrete because of the swimming pool. 😶
You get yourself a gator, release it into the pool, and pretend it wandered in there on its own. Mrs. Doom! freaks out, and wants you to get rid of the pool. You tell her, that the pool should be kept to retain property value. However, it should be drained to keep out gators. She agrees!
You catch and release the gator back into it's natural habitat, the Pacific Ocean, drain the pool, and start collecting rocks to fill the pool for your crawling course.

You're welcome! 👍

Last edited:
Living in the burbs doesn't provide much in terms of a crawling course. Backyard is all concrete because of the swimming pool. 😶
Use your imagination man. I can see a suspension bridge, a floating bridge, maybe a wharf with a ferry. All leading to a cool jungle mountain in the corner after all you got to have some greenery. Just kidding my wife would kill me if we had a pool and I tried that !

I have a hand full of utility flags I was going to use as gates on my home course. Snip, bend and cut to make them work, but in the end I don't think they would be much good on the rock piles "rain & wind". I was thinking about mini tennis balls but even the mini ones would be giant compared to the scx24 and placement would be rendered too much . When i was searching for a new dog water bowl of all things at 6:30am today, i seen a pack of neon green golf balls. Twice as many for almost same price. Think we have a wiener! Gates on the way😃

Clean Green Golf Balls 12-48 Recycled Yellow Used for Titleist Prov1x, AVX Golf Ball Mix - Good Condition Graded Balls - Includes GolfBalls and Mesh Carrying Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SVTDHHB/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_WE02PKPRXBDNJK615EE3

Starting to come together, got my golf balls cut and starting to put some gates around. Muddy as hell out today. Slipped and busted my ass just walking to the pile. Got mud all over and its cold. Slimer doesn't like mud either and the bridge has mud on it now, i got over it once but its nearly impossible atm. Going to try again when it's dry and warmer.
20220306_143354.jpg

I used a bandsaw. They are solid core so they don't explode like the rubber band ones.
I have cut a few golf bslls apart on a bandsaw, and know exactly what you mean. I spent a couple hours trying to get my dad's bandsaw unwound before he got home as a youngin one time 😜

Back