Darkhorse Farm crawling corse.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent the weekend playing with rocks. I made the new pile of rocks as smooth as possible. My thinking is it is an obstacle that will take time to cover. I can always make it harder. But I want to establish a base line. The whole purpose of my corse is to test and tune the rigs in a controlled environment.

I also added some cheater rocks to make fifteen different climbs.

Now I’m ready to start running the rigs and learn the new corse. I plan to film using my go pro attached to my chest. Just shoot the run and edit the beginning and end so it’s just the run.

That should be a fun reference and when I make a modification I can see how it helped in one way and hurt things on a different situation.

Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Is it better to post each run in a separate video? Or should I make two runs with each vehicle and then edit the whole thing together for a long video?

Each run is under 10 minutes.

Looking great, but $100? We have free rocks in Idaho... :p
We have free rocks in Iowa too. Let’s just say it cost $100.00 to get 2000 pounds of clean smooth river jacks delivered into my driveway .

I had to purchase a ton of granite trap rock for the patio because the stuff I put down a couple years ago has settled and is not moving water away from the house properly. So bought the gravel and paid for the delivery. While I was at the quarry I asked about the basket of rocks he had and they sold me the rocks for 100 dollars and it did not add to the price of delivery.

I get it man, I was just messin with ya.
You are doing a good job on it and looks like a lot of fun. I love your crawler also.

I have the corse set up for now. I’m going to see if this all works and have some fun.

That’s what it’s all about.

What I’m going to do is shoot a video and feature each one of my rigs and show the set up. Kinda quick rundown of what it is and what mods are don’t to it. Then run it over the corse.

I think I need to come up with a scoring system.

Any help with that would be appreciated.

The corse has 15 rock climbs. I also have the wood bridge, parallel bridge and the rocks leading up to the bridge. The rocks will get progressively more angled as the corse evolves. It is to test side hill ability.
The two corses are on opposite sides of the yard. So there is a top speed section.

I will start the stop watch at the beginning , and stop the watch when I finish.

Here is the problem, not all the vehicles can complete all the climbs.

I can either pre run the truck and decide what climbs it just ain’t doing. Just dk the ones that it can. Or make it try and fail each climb. This is a time killer if I’m going for a fast time run. But the more climbs is the point.

I need to figure out how to score.

Time of the run times the number of climbs?
or just run the time and add in the climbs.

and what about fouls. If it takes a foot or hand to roll it over that is a penalty of some sort.
A score would look like this

unimog scx10ii
climbs. 5
Time minutes 9:34
fouls. 3
Style points 2

I’ll post up the video on this thread. Then give what I think is a score and everyone can also judge it.
as I make modifications to the vehicles it will be fun to see progress.
The objective of the corse is not so much to test the vehicles. I do that on huge rock at a dam spillway. This is to develop the repetitive racing agencies the clock nerves. It is difficult when you have a good run going. Then the pressure is on.

Attachments

• 1310CA08-5D11-4916-8BF6-4BB59BB18152.jpeg
    1310CA08-5D11-4916-8BF6-4BB59BB18152.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 6A6878DC-15B9-456A-B100-A7267ADEF272.jpeg
    6A6878DC-15B9-456A-B100-A7267ADEF272.jpeg
    581.8 KB · Views: 57
I have the corse set up for now. I’m going to see if this all works and have some fun.

That’s what it’s all about.

What I’m going to do is shoot a video and feature each one of my rigs and show the set up. Kinda quick rundown of what it is and what mods are don’t to it. Then run it over the corse.

I think I need to come up with a scoring system.

Any help with that would be appreciated.

The corse has 15 rock climbs. I also have the wood bridge, parallel bridge and the rocks leading up to the bridge. The rocks will get progressively more angled as the corse evolves. It is to test side hill ability.
The two corses are on opposite sides of the yard. So there is a top speed section.

I will start the stop watch at the beginning , and stop the watch when I finish.

Here is the problem, not all the vehicles can complete all the climbs.

I can either pre run the truck and decide what climbs it just ain’t doing. Just dk the ones that it can. Or make it try and fail each climb. This is a time killer if I’m going for a fast time run. But the more climbs is the point.

I need to figure out how to score.

Time of the run times the number of climbs?
or just run the time and add in the climbs.

and what about fouls. If it takes a foot or hand to roll it over that is a penalty of some sort.
A score would look like this

unimog scx10ii
climbs. 5
Time minutes 9:34
fouls. 3
Style points 2

I’ll post up the video on this thread. Then give what I think is a score and everyone can also judge it.
as I make modifications to the vehicles it will be fun to see progress.
The objective of the corse is not so much to test the vehicles. I do that on huge rock at a dam spillway. This is to develop the repetitive racing agencies the clock nerves. It is difficult when you have a good run going. Then the pressure is on.
I wish I had that much space to play. Looking great man.

This is a test run for my go pro and the new track start. It’s been raining so everything is wet.

The truck is my UMG 10. I don’t want to beat this thing up. It is my first real rig and now they are out of production. I still love to run it. I’ll do a video of it and a full corse run when the weather gets better.

This is a test run for my go pro and the new track start. It’s been raining so everything is wet.

The truck is my UMG 10. I don’t want to beat this thing up. It is my first real rig and now they are out of production. I still love to run it. I’ll do a video of it and a full corse run when the weather gets better.

Nice run man the course is looking good 👍.. see thatt the referees out on the course to keep things in line...😉🤣🤣🤣

I tried to make a video of the run yesterday. It did not work out at all.
I want a consistent format so I can show each vehicle and test and make them all the same.
Plan C or maybe its D

I’ll put the camera on a tripod.

1 show the vehicle on the corner weight scale and describe the modifications.

2 go over the rocks and the bridges in both directions.

3 Go to the rock wall and complete as many of the climbs as quick as possible.

The problem is the aim of the camera. If I get to close to the vehicle it goes in and out of frame.
The bridge is at waist level and the rest is on the ground. So I video the grass and no truck or the fence and no truck .
I shot three videos last night and they plain sucked.
So tonight I am going to try something else.
I can’t reposition cameras with the clock running.
I’ll video the description. Then set up the camera and do the bridge and rocks in both directions.
Then reset the camera and climb the rocks.
After that I’ll edit the three videos into one that shows a truck rather than a fence and grass or my hand turning the wheel.

I can then run the vehicle for time without the camera and post the times separately.

Any suggestions??

Ok
Back at it after a big weekend crawling at my local spillway. I think I have a world beater set up. Go to the gorge and find out I need more work. Basically I need to lower my CG more. Better foams and lighter shock oil. Then I will try again.
Back to the subject at hand.
I think I will set up the camera and see how each rig does with the long line of boulders. Filming the bolder line and bridge in one video does not work. I will use the bridge and new rock corner in separate videos.

I have to do some repair work on the unimog. It has Chinese portals. They are pretty good and use Axial replacement parts. But I stripped a screw that holds the upper link bracket. Easy fix I’ll do tonight.

I finally was able to put together a video. It was four short videos. The problem I have been having is when I try to edit four videos together it does three of them then the forth video has a problem. I can’t figure out why, and I can’t figure out how to remove a part of a video in the center. I can trim the ends but can’t trim out segments in the middle. I did finally get this video done.
It’s my G Speed power wagon.

Last edited:
Very cool man 👍👍 some good drive thought you taken out the camera..🤣🤣👍👍👍 course is looking good man👍👍

I gotta get some more rocks, I bring 'em home one or two at a time. 🤣 the course is lookin good @Iowa crawler
It's funny you say that. When my son took out the Kraton last time he was here he was doing donuts in the gravel. When he brought it inside he was carrying it by the bumper. I keep finding little rocks in the carpet in the RC room with my feet. I have been saving them to put in the stream bed on the diorama. See middle tray...
20210831_171406.jpg