Getting back to running MGT 4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah the original to me engine on this truck was the HPI 4.6K which is pretty much the Axial .28 spec, just different porting slots and sizes/locations. i still have the K4.6 but its up in Alaska at the moment and I'm in the lower 48. brand new in box i had a really hard time trying to get the carb off the block on the axial. i tried more recently and have yet to separate... i just cleaned with the carb on.
always wondered on the stock engine for the MGT, but that chance has not arisen to me. the MGT i own is the first and only one i've seen physically.
yeah the prices are alot. 40$ for a set of titanium center shafts doesn't seem bad though.
the slider shafts would be nice to try but don't think i could bring myself to buy them at that price
i bought my LST for less than that!!!

Lol...I seen a bunch of Losi LST hop-up parts ,but didn't post them ,that was before I noticed that
you had one ,they seem to be a lot.
The parts for the Mgt's were all over the place about 8 to 10 years ago ,now there is Harley any!
They also put out the electric versions ,an some folks had actually converted them to electric an
they eccepted the electric quite well with some awesome results ,have you seen any vids on those
trucks yet?

luckily have had no issues on the LST hop ups as of yet as there is the LST2, Lst xxl etc models. and haven't broken anything yet. (key word "YET") the brushless ones are pretty nice and fast but nitro is what really got me into the hobby. They definitely have their place but for me that place is pretty small. The rival looks nice and strong and I've found a few BL conversions out there, but gonna stay nitro as long as parts will allow me

luckily have had no issues on the LST hop ups as of yet as there is the LST2, Lst xxl etc models. and haven't broken anything yet. (key word "YET") the brushless ones are pretty nice and fast but nitro is what really got me into the hobby. They definitely have their place but for me that place is pretty small. The rival looks nice and strong and I've found a few BL conversions out there, but gonna stay nitro as long as parts will allow me

I built a brushless on road car ,lol...it didn't last long ,I only had a small handful of run time on it until I totaled it!
I had just bought a Traxxas slash ,its all right to just throw out there an run if you don't feel like messing with nitro ,
but I will always love nitro better!....I feel the same way!...:thumbs-up:

nothing like the smell and feel of nitro as the engine winds up while sending it around corners and off ramps! i am tempted to get an electric on road eventually but is not a priority, i have a brushless motor/esc combo so just need a roller.
after reading your diff brace thread going to be doing the same here shortly as well, i do need to rebuild/bearing the diffs though. main issue at this time is alot of the underpan screws are stripped/stripping pretty good, so going to take some work to correct all those. think my LHS had a screw kit still for 30$. probably going to be a lot of drilling.... not looking forward to that.
do you just put grease into the diffs or do you use diff fluid?

nothing like the smell and feel of nitro as the engine winds up while sending it around corners and off ramps! i am tempted to get an electric on road eventually but is not a priority, i have a brushless motor/esc combo so just need a roller.
after reading your diff brace thread going to be doing the same here shortly as well, i do need to rebuild/bearing the diffs though. main issue at this time is alot of the underpan screws are stripped/stripping pretty good, so going to take some work to correct all those. think my LHS had a screw kit still for 30$. probably going to be a lot of drilling.... not looking forward to that.
do you just put grease into the diffs or do you use diff fluid?

I use Napa sil-glyde ,it is a silicone base grease that doesn't shrink ,freeze ,melt ,or gum up!
I pack the inside of the diff spool itself ,an I spread a little on the outer gear & output gear!

will definitely try to find that!
side note, found one of these kits for sale am tempted to try.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alloy-Carb...m=222538653619&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
given the price point i know its not going to be race quality or anything and i don't plan for it to be, but looks like it could be decent to play around with for parking lot cruising. and seems that some if not most fit the TT01 from Tamiya, and the stores I'm seeing have a decent array of replacement parts.
either way end of side note.

I use Napa sil-glyde ,it is a silicone base grease that doesn't shrink ,freeze ,melt ,or gum up!
I pack the inside of the diff spool itself ,an I spread a little on the outer gear & output gear!
I know many use a marine grease on the ring/pinion because it's very sticky and tends to stay on the gears vs getting flung off or a path cut through. Is that syl-glyde similar? I really need to get some better grease. All I have is typical axle grease and it tends to get flug off/cut through until things heat up a lot, and by then, it's usually too late.

I know many use a marine grease on the ring/pinion because it's very sticky and tends to stay on the gears vs getting flung off or a path cut through. Is that syl-glyde similar? I really need to get some better grease. All I have is typical axle grease and it tends to get flug off/cut through until things heat up a lot, and by then, it's usually too late.

I don't know if its better ,but it sticks quite well because it doesn't heat an melt ,an also ,it tends to leave a real
slick residue on the gear!
I had bought this stuff to use on other parts ,like to rub on the hinge pins & ball stud joints ,but then eventually
tried it in the diffs ,an a little in the trans gears!
It seems to work pretty good!
May not be good for a race track ,but its good for heavy duty bashing!...:D

so following up with contacting MIP support about the Center CVD's for the MGT. bad news is that they dont have any in stock but i was able to nail down the part# for the kit MIP #1581, they were really friendly though and even went and double checked their stock of parts to make sure there weren't any stragglers. was really surprised they went that far to try to find a single part for a sale.
definitely makes me feel good about using them in the future.

so following up with contacting MIP support about the Center CVD's for the MGT. bad news is that they dont have any in stock but i was able to nail down the part# for the kit MIP #1581, they were really friendly though and even went and double checked their stock of parts to make sure there weren't any stragglers. was really surprised they went that far to try to find a single part for a sale.
definitely makes me feel good about using them in the future.

Well ,the only thing that I see ,is that ,it eliminates the aluminum hub from wollering out at the pin holes .
other than that ,the stock one are fine ,an is not a big issue!
Even the stock axles are fine ,it was just a fad that everyone wants at the time!

yeah, i was more or less trying to negate the pin holes from ovalling out, not a huge deal though as i can imagine them being steel would sheer pins quite a bit more often then Alu. guess my thought is if i can find it for similar pricing as the stockers and they are a bit better why not go for them. and pins are a bit easier to replace than machined aluminum.
these stock ones are tough as hell, but all drivetrain stuff breaks eventually so wanting to plan ahead a bit :p
hoping before long acquiring a lathe or access to a lathe.

yeah, i was more or less trying to negate the pin holes from ovalling out, not a huge deal though as i can imagine them being steel would sheer pins quite a bit more often then Alu. guess my thought is if i can find it for similar pricing as the stockers and they are a bit better why not go for them. and pins are a bit easier to replace than machined aluminum.
these stock ones are tough as hell, but all drivetrain stuff breaks eventually so wanting to plan ahead a bit :p
hoping before long acquiring a lathe or access to a lathe.

This type of stuff inspires people to make their own parts an eventually ,becomes to be marketed ,stainless is best!...:cool:

hope in the near future i can start acquiring the tooling to make parts for these. not going to lie if/when that happens probably would be selling them at cost to make them just to try to get people to run these things again!! i am getting curious what all types of output drives from other vehicles can fit these to see if newer technology or beefier parts can be implemented to work on them.

hope in the near future i can start acquiring the tooling to make parts for these. not going to lie if/when that happens probably would be selling them at cost to make them just to try to get people to run these things again!! i am getting curious what all types of output drives from other vehicles can fit these to see if newer technology or beefier parts can be implemented to work on them.

The people of this forum is the key ,all they need to do ,is lay down the tape measure on the parts!

I am curious on the drive axle lengths with the 3.3 traxxas with the Mgt. ,the Mgt. arms can be trimmed off to
accomidate them!

My spelling could be off ,but you get the picture!....LOL

Last edited:
were the 3.3 T-Maxxes drive gear greatly improved over the 2.5? i remember going through so many telescoping shafts, the plastic on the ends with the pivot ripped apart a lot.
though there are alot of steel ones for the maxxes, curious on the trans output shafts. I'm guessing the MGT is bigger but if it were to drilled out the tmaxx one may fit.

i really like the idea of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-STEEL-SL...-Monster-GT-/200648742899?hash=item2eb798d7f3 with the telescoping and U-Joints on both ends. wonder what other rig may be similar enough to adapt to these....
going to be some research definitely.

The 3.3 t-maxx still runs telescoping plastic axles. They are just bigger now I think, like the revo has.

The newest brushless revo has steel cvd's and larger diffs, e-revo VXL or ERBE 2.0. The v1 has the same sliders as the nitro revo's had. It just has a bar in the diff to try and make it a bit stronger.

BUT ,as time ,they alimidated those shafts an went with the straight steel shafts ,the aftermarket brands has took them into
a different level!
I am curious on what it is on measurements ,they are so close ,that they may fit with a slight mod!

kind exciting development, i may have a lead on the MIP axle shafts pair for 30$ each. just waiting on a call back!
going to the LHS tomorrow i believe and going to see what he has for driveshafts and compare.
also looking to get the lady into rcing so looking at options for her as well!!
probably going to start her off with electric though.

Update:
the store sold the shafts yesterday :(

Last edited:
New part came in the mail!!
Already have one on the truck but it a bit warped somehow. Still drives fine and hadn't eaten a clutch bell, but figured I'd get an extra!
20190118_172658.jpg

Well I thought the original motor was the k4.5 but it was a nitro star .25, has decent compression, not much pinch at the top though.
20190119_011346.jpg

Back