Need some help with the mgt 4.6, 2 speed is being wacky

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bakershaker78

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
Some background on the build: I have a hobao mac star .28 6-port, standard plug out of a sportwerks turmoil pro, seeming as I can’t get parts for them, I’m saving that for another project, it’s all there, just needs tires, a wing, body, and obviously an engine, back to the mgt, the previous owners of it were abusive to the pull start, and shattered the barrel from yanking on the pull cord like it’s a damn bey-blade, I have the ae pro carb with the adjustable fuel jet, and the nice slide, and the stock exhaust until I can get the side header and use the buggy exhaust. Anyways, the troubles I’m having are it seemed as if the clutch was extremely slippy, and like it was almost 1-1 gearing, it wasn’t shifting most of the runs either, so it seemed as if it was stuck in second gear, I put new shoes in the clutch, lubed the shafts that they go on, started it up revved it, (just in case any grease were to fling out) popped the bell back off and cleaned it one last time before assembly, so it was dry, that way shoes are easy moving when they’re ready to engage or disengage, and clean surfaces for gripping, still the issue persists, I know it’s not the clutch, I checked the 2 speed adjustment and it’s fine, the slipper clutch is fine, it still however won’t down shift, it will sometimes but it really doesn’t like it, I have the forward reverse sevo unplugged and just sitting in fowards, as I’m using a 2ch transmitter for the time being, I don’t know what it could be, I heard some people have had issues with the one way, but how would that effect shifting? Also when it is in first the very few times it is, it wants to turtle 24/7 it’s so hard to keep the front wheels down it’s not even funny. Also if I do a run and it’s in first it shifts perfectly, but once again, won’t downshift 9/10 times. I’m just confused as to why its not downshifting to 1st, any help would be appreciated

Some background on the build: I have a hobao mac star .28 6-port, standard plug out of a sportwerks turmoil pro, seeming as I can’t get parts for them, I’m saving that for another project, it’s all there, just needs tires, a wing, body, and obviously an engine, back to the mgt, the previous owners of it were abusive to the pull start, and shattered the barrel from yanking on the pull cord like it’s a damn bey-blade, I have the ae pro carb with the adjustable fuel jet, and the nice slide, and the stock exhaust until I can get the side header and use the buggy exhaust. Anyways, the troubles I’m having are it seemed as if the clutch was extremely slippy, and like it was almost 1-1 gearing, it wasn’t shifting most of the runs either, so it seemed as if it was stuck in second gear, I put new shoes in the clutch, lubed the shafts that they go on, started it up revved it, (just in case any grease were to fling out) popped the bell back off and cleaned it one last time before assembly, so it was dry, that way shoes are easy moving when they’re ready to engage or disengage, and clean surfaces for gripping, still the issue persists, I know it’s not the clutch, I checked the 2 speed adjustment and it’s fine, the slipper clutch is fine, it still however won’t down shift, it will sometimes but it really doesn’t like it, I have the forward reverse sevo unplugged and just sitting in fowards, as I’m using a 2ch transmitter for the time being, I don’t know what it could be, I heard some people have had issues with the one way, but how would that effect shifting? Also when it is in first the very few times it is, it wants to turtle 24/7 it’s so hard to keep the front wheels down it’s not even funny. Also if I do a run and it’s in first it shifts perfectly, but once again, won’t downshift 9/10 times. I’m just confused as to why its not downshifting to 1st, any help would be appreciated

It could be the shift paw sticking an not retracting back in ,the spring could be weak!
Trans parts are hard to find ,that spot where the spring an tiny ball goes could be dirty ,
an not allowing the paw to retract maybe!..👍

It could be the shift paw sticking an not retracting back in ,the spring could be weak!
Trans parts are hard to find ,that spot where the spring an tiny ball goes could be dirty ,
an not allowing the paw to retract maybe!..👍
It wasn’t stuck, relubed and spun her up with a drill for safe measures to make sure it won’t slip, the one way was also perfect, idk imma clean and put fresh grease in the tranny and hope all goes well also do you know how exactly a forwards only conversion works? I just need some explanation

It wasn’t stuck, relubed and spun her up with a drill for safe measures to make sure it won’t slip, the one way was also perfect, idk imma clean and put fresh grease in the tranny and hope all goes well also do you know how exactly a forwards only conversion works? I just need some explanation

The FWO is just a shaft with two plastic spacers!
You never want to grease or put oil on or near that o-way bearing ,it will destroy it ,if
anything ,you want to rub the shaft with some emery cloth or some fine sand paper!..👍

The FWO is just a shaft with two plastic spacers!
You never want to grease or put oil on or near that o-way bearing ,it will destroy it ,if
anything ,you want to rub the shaft with some emery cloth or some fine sand paper!..👍
I knew about that with the ow I just needed the info on the foc

I knew about that with the ow I just needed the info on the foc

It eliminates the reverse gears ,shift fork ,shaft for the reverse servo an the servo ,it gets rid
of a bunch of weight along with any wear & tear problems that could happen!..👍
It might be hard to find the parts for the Mgt these days including that fwd only kit ,
but it only consist of a shaft ,two plastic tube like spacers an maybe a plug to plug off
the hole were the reverse shaft went in the trans case ,also it may come with a pin!..😎

It eliminates the reverse gears ,shift fork ,shaft for the reverse servo an the servo ,it gets rid
of a bunch of weight along with any wear & tear problems that could happen!..👍
It might be hard to find the parts for the Mgt these days including that fwd only kit ,
but it only consist of a shaft ,two plastic tube like spacers an maybe a plug to plug off
the hole were the reverse shaft went in the trans case ,also it may come with a pin!..😎
Ok, I make my own pins out of piano wire, they are flexible and pretty hard, solved the issue with the traxxas slash 2wd slipper shaft pin snapping all the time if you know about that, anyways, I can get delrin spacers at the local hardware store along with a plug, what does the shaft do? Just disables the reverse clutch from sliding back and forth? Or what?

Back