Getting back to running MGT 4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Register Log in

cbaker65

Hardcore RCNT User
do have a question, wanting to test out some new clutch shoes eventually, i have a set of HPI ones from the savage, and the ones in it are as well i believe, which dont get me wrong have worked well. wanting to try out some aluminum ones. i am planning on running 2 Alu. 1 Composite, as from what i have read seems to work well. but as far as what ones, i am unsure. i know for savages people ran Ofna shoes, some ran Mugen.
I'm not really racing this thing, (obviously) but given that i can experiment around was wanting to try something new.
anyone here run aluminum clutch shoe setups in their 1/8 nitro? if so what ones did you have luck with? or was it not even worth it and should stick with composite?

Yea ,I do ,I run 2 alum. along with one composite!
The aluminum ones last longer ,an gets more bite contact with the bell ,the composite one acts like a wiper!

cbaker65

Hardcore RCNT User
Do you remember what aluminum shoes you used?
On my street car with the 21 size engine ,the brand is racers edge an on the basher ,they are an Ofna brand ,there
is plenty Ofna alum. shoes on E-bay!

Here is a pic ,not clear ,an all 3 alum. is on there ,they are the Racers edge,but on my truck ,I do have 2 alum.s an 1 comp.

D3MON

RCNT Addict
RC Driving Style
Bashing
gonna find some OFNA shoes then in the near future! thanks!
just wanted to make sure i get a tried and true set vs a experimental and have wasted to much money lol
thanks for the clarification!

cbaker65

Hardcore RCNT User
gonna find some OFNA shoes then in the near future! thanks!
just wanted to make sure i get a tried and true set vs a experimental and have wasted to much money lol
thanks for the clarification!
Well ,as far as longevity ,I think that both sets have been on the engines for at least 5 years now ,if
that helps!...:cool:

D3MON

RCNT Addict
RC Driving Style
Bashing
Well ,as far as longevity ,I think that both sets have been on the engines for at least 5 years now ,if
that helps!...:cool:
definitely does!
can't wait to see how this thing runs with a 17t clutchbell!
the shoes were definitely a bit worn in there, but i cleaned them up and reshaped them a bit. how it was shimmed before, the clutchbell was pushed too far out, so it wasn't even touching the inner side of the shoes. so there was definitely a small raised ridge on the inside of the shoes. Gonna use them for awhile longer though.
plan on getting the shift point etc dialed in today after work!
Seems another tire started coming unglued on the outside. going to have to address that. probably gonna try removing all the paint from the wheels too, the black spray paint definitely starting to look pretty bad.
Thanks all for keeping tabs on the truck and adding input where you can!

D3MON

RCNT Addict
RC Driving Style
Bashing
welp... it looks like my shopping cart is already getting ready for friday..... lol thanks for the link!

D3MON

RCNT Addict
RC Driving Style
Bashing
was able to run it yesterday! so much happier with the performance after i took off the 19T and went to 17T clutchbell! got it tuned in about perfect how i like it. sad to say though i dont know how much life is left on these tires, beads are definitely cracking and breaking down. gonna see how long i can make em last though.

cbaker65

Hardcore RCNT User
was able to run it yesterday! so much happier with the performance after i took off the 19T and went to 17T clutchbell! got it tuned in about perfect how i like it. sad to say though i dont know how much life is left on these tires, beads are definitely cracking and breaking down. gonna see how long i can make em last though.

LOL... I need tires as well ,all of them are cracking on the side wall because of their age ,the only one that
aren't cracking yet ,is on my Axial b-lock rims ,an I am not going to run those ,they are my shelf queen wheels!

Glad to here that you are hitting with good results ,once you get to that point ,keep it there an don't change
nothing!.....:thumbs-up:

D3MON

RCNT Addict
RC Driving Style
Bashing
realized haven't really posted any updates on this truck, havent had a whole lot of time to run it and it doesn't break often when i do so might add to that. did run it monday though, let a friend run it, (he is pretty new to RC, so driving skills are a little lacking, tagged a car tire at about 30mph or so, surprisingly nothing really broke though, popped a ball end off and bent the screw that holds the ball end on the steering bellcrank assembly. just swapped out the screw and back to running.
tire and wheels are definitely showing to be out a balance a bit more than i remember, especially the front left. really want to do something about that, might see what i can do to try to fix that.
got some Titanium Turnbuckles for both the MGT's, going to try to get them on this weekend if i get time between working on cars. (1:1)