Getting back to running MGT 4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking at the pictures the truck looks to be the .21 model, the only difference between that and the 4.6 is the motor correct? seems there isnt very much info on the original MGT it seems to be superseded to the 4.6. everything that i can tell looks to be the same as the one i already have but that one very well could have been a .21 to start with as well to my knowledge.

The Mgt. first truck was a 21 size ,but changed to a 28 ,an then the 8.0!
The 21 & 28 is the same chassy & running gear ,the 8.0 some slight changes was made to the trans.,
but ,the only change that I think was made ,was the output shaft & spur ,I think the trans housing is the same!

That Ae. Mgt. on E-bay has a 21 ,but I think that it came from the Hpi savages first truck!

Here is what they put on the Mgt's ,but they were the blue head ,Thunder Tiger produced the engines for AE. ,
but put the red heads on their trucks!

The 21.

1548370055073.png

The 28.

1548370099462.png

The 8.0.
Is sold out!

Those engines are on sale now!

Last edited:
Last edited:
either or haha, i know I'm going to need to get shocks for the new one, and i may try switching back to side exhaust, never really cared for the rear exhaust, puts all the oil splatter right on the arms.

wait, you fixed what? i see nothing wrong o.o lol

I have to see what else is out there ,you posted a good piece there that shows details!

They should revamp that truck ,they sorta did ,but in brushless form ,it seems like there would be more
upgrades!.....:doh::doh:

they really should re-release it imo, i dont really understand why the brushless didnt really take off very well, from the reviews I've seen on it, it seemed to be pretty solid truck i think they extended it by about an inch or so.

do you have any idea how good the GPM shocks are supposed to be? found some 120mm ones for ~18$ a pair. or do you have a recommendation for a decent set? are T-Maxx style shocks really that short for these or is it negligible? my other one has the power strokes but i think those were a bit longer than standard maxx shocks (could use verification on that though.)

do you have any idea how good the GPM shocks are supposed to be? found some 120mm ones for ~18$ a pair. or do you have a recommendation for a decent set? are T-Maxx style shocks really that short for these or is it negligible? my other one has the power strokes but i think those were a bit longer than standard maxx shocks (could use verification on that though.)

I am not sure ,I don't even know what most of mine are made from ,I think that my B-law had gotten some ,an the
shaft itself snapped at the threads were the eye lid screws on that bolts to the a-arm ,I think that they were GPM ,
we ended up put an Mgt. shaft back in its place.....LOL
I was thinking on getting those HPI shocks ,they have a longer stroke an travel!

This is the vid. when it happen ,I am not sure if these were the GPM brand though!

i am reading that the Maxx community like to run Hyper 7 shocks, fronts 113-115mm rears 125-130mm on their trucks, may see what i can find...

what HPI ones do you speak of? will need to look into them!

EDIT: these ones?
https://www.rcplanet.com/rc-parts/r-c-car-truck-parts/hpi-big-bore-shock-set-112mm-2-hpi101116

Those are pricey!
I was talking about the stock HPI Savage long shocks ,they are more longer ,an will have more travel!

I know when we went out to bash are trucks ,giving the weight that we added with the roll cage an other ,
an big jumps & tumbles ,it can be quite brutal to the shocks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-BIG-BORE...=item41b86a4d60:g:GMYAAOSw4GVYNmg~:rk:42:pf:0

for some reason i thought the Savage shocks were very long, guess I'm only going off of pictures saying that though. my main worry is bottoming out the shocks before i hit skid. from what i read the stock MGT shocks are about 115mm long or so.

for some reason i thought the Savage shocks were very long, guess I'm only going off of pictures saying that though. my main worry is bottoming out the shocks before i hit skid. from what i read the stock MGT shocks are about 115mm long or so.

They are long ,that's why I been wanting to get some an try them!

Theres a lot of fast moving built up pressure in shocks ,something will blow out!
I had actually blew the threaded caps off before ,plastic & aluminum ones!

I even thought about getting some 1/5 scale buggy shocks ,probably the fronts ,I have a buggy ,I can see
if they will fit ,an see what they look like ,I would think ,that ,only one of those shocks per corner is needed though ,
I will check today!

Those shocks can be had cheap on a chop shop through E-bay!...:cool:

that is what i was reading about the ofna/hobao hyper 7, the fronts are what is generally what is used on the T-Maxx, but the rears may be closer length to what we need, and they run one on each corner, then find springs to accommodate the weight.

that is what i was reading about the ofna/hobao hyper 7, the fronts are what is generally what is used on the T-Maxx, but the rears may be closer length to what we need, and they run one on each corner, then find springs to accommodate the weight.

I never thought a buggy or truggy shock would have been any good ,you would have think that a monster
truck shock would be more tougher ,I know that the buggy's go through some tough stuff on racing an is
or was set up for track ,a lot of tracks have them dang humpty dumps ,that there can be down right brutal
on a full WOT race!

Those can be had cheap as well ,if I was to use those ,a may go with all 8 rears on my truck ,I have added weight
especially running aluminum shock towers an my wheels are also aluminum!

for the rears: the shock shafts are 3.5mm or can get the bigger 4mm, the spring diameter is 14mm, big bores for the hyper 7 are 17mm,
Fronts: same shaft and spring diameter, but are about 10mm shorter.
what diameter are the RC Raven springs?
they seem to be semi inexpensive so may try running one on each corner then if that isnt enough try 2? after buying that truck though dont have the funds yet to try it.
the wife may skin me alive lol. that and it would put off buying hers.

for the rears: the shock shafts are 3.5mm or can get the bigger 4mm, the spring diameter is 14mm, big bores for the hyper 7 are 17mm,
Fronts: same shaft and spring diameter, but are about 10mm shorter.
what diameter are the RC Raven springs?
they seem to be semi inexpensive so may try running one on each corner then if that isnt enough try 2? after buying that truck though dont have the funds yet to try it.
the wife may skin me alive lol. that and it would put off buying hers.

Lol......Sense we are coming off of X-mas an splurged a lot on 2 video game systems ,accessories ,an a new 50'' TV.,
we are pretty much in the - on top of tapped out!.......LOL....I am afraid to even ask for a gallon of fuel!

But ,I think this coming month , I might ask for a gal. for my B-day ,but sadly ,its on the 13th!.....:doh::doh::doh:

if shipping wasn't so outrageous anymore or were closer would send ya some lol! nobody deserves to be left stranded without fuel!
weirdly though my lhs doesn't sell by gallons, only quarts because their shipping costs and to keep fresher fuel if slow selling.

Back