Getting back to running MGT 4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To help save pinch ,always run the piston down at the bottom of the block an out of the top end after you run the truck ,
you can put a ark on the flywheel to indicate that the piston down an out of its pinch on cool down after your run!

This will help in prolonging the life of your engine!....:cool:

yeah i remember that from back in the day making sure to get to BDC, think i need to remark it on my FW though.

found a parts truck on ebay trying to get lol

sucks the weather hasn't been very good and work half hour till it gets dark so havent been able to run the MGT again yet, i guess its allowing more cure time to the threadlocker on drivetrain parts right?
weather is supposed to be good this weekend though so hoping to be able to run it then!

sucks the weather hasn't been very good and work half hour till it gets dark so havent been able to run the MGT again yet, i guess its allowing more cure time to the threadlocker on drivetrain parts right?
weather is supposed to be good this weekend though so hoping to be able to run it then!

Didn't you folks get snow?

Supposed to be a high of +2 in Northern IL this weekend... I won't even run electric when it's below 30F. I'm far to old to stand out there and freeze. LOL!

its supposed to be high 30s this weekend, just hope its not snowing the whole time :/ i try not to run anything when its below the 20s to help not stress plastics more than needed. and for personal comfort as you stated lol. just makes it to much work to tune etc.

its supposed to be high 30s this weekend, just hope its not snowing the whole time :/ i try not to run anything when its below the 20s to help not stress plastics more than needed. and for personal comfort as you stated lol. just makes it to much work to tune etc.
Now that I have brushless, I won't even think about running a nitro when it's less than 50F out... ok, maybe 45F. Just easier to keep a solid tune when the ambient temp and wind going through the head isn't cooling it so fast.

Before electric, I'd run nitro in the snow. I'd just use an old tired engine that I didn't care about, tune it rich enough that it'd run "ok", then just beat the snot out of it. I found that small blocks worked better/easier in the cold. Probably due to less surface area cooling it the whole time.

I'm here in sunny Calif. ,LOL......Yea ,ok sure ,what people don't say ,is it goes from a nice 70 deg. during the day ,only
to set your a$$ up for 20 deg. at night!...:doh::doh::doh:

I would rather that the temps to be close together to where it don't throw your body in shock ,that's like jumping
into the ice out of a sauna!

Now that I have brushless, I won't even think about running a nitro when it's less than 50F out... ok, maybe 45F. Just easier to keep a solid tune when the ambient temp and wind going through the head isn't cooling it so fast.

Before electric, I'd run nitro in the snow. I'd just use an old tired engine that I didn't care about, tune it rich enough that it'd run "ok", then just beat the snot out of it. I found that small blocks worked better/easier in the cold. Probably due to less surface area cooling it the whole time.
more or less the reason why i try not to run them in the powder, i used to put like a sock over the block to try to keep the block out of the powder sprays but didnt really seem to do enough. so i just stopped running it.
have an old HPI .25 might drop in to do just that lol. are they supposed to be pretty good engines? havent really found many reviews of the engine itself just the 25 savage.
I'm here in sunny Calif. ,LOL......Yea ,ok sure ,what people don't say ,is it goes from a nice 70 deg. during the day ,only

I would rather that the temps to be close together to where it don't throw your body in shock ,that's like jumping
yeah hear that was in florida for a year or so, humidity would amplify the temperatures so bad, would go from 100F (120 real feel) down to 40F at night (20F real feel). no time for the body to adjust.

Yeah... I'd still take that over +2F all day and -10F at night, wind chill -20-30F... I know it gets way colder up North. I have family in Northern Minnesota. They see actual temps at -20F and worse!

spent a good 10-12 years in Alaska (where i first started getting into RC's), its funny though because after a winter of -20F to -30F, when it hits +10F its t-shirt and light jacket weather.

more or less the reason why i try not to run them in the powder, i used to put like a sock over the block to try to keep the block out of the powder sprays but didnt really seem to do enough. so i just stopped running it.
have an old HPI .25 might drop in to do just that lol. are they supposed to be pretty good engines? havent really found many reviews of the engine itself just the 25 savage.

Try using a piece of bicycle innertube, glue the ends with CA so you have to stretch it a bit to fit around the head. It blocks wind going through and doesn't hold water like cloth does. Also doesn't add any radio interference using foil may cause. That's what I used to do.

First I used a hose clamp and a piece of inner tube:
2005-0116-SavageRearRight.jpg

2005-0105-SavageSnowSide.JPG

or zip ties:
2005-1204-RevoSnowDayTop.jpg

Was annoying holding the strip of rubber in place and getting the clamp or zip tie, so I just cut a piece that would overlap/wrap around entirely, then glue it a hair short so it would hold itself on the head. Made one for small block and another for big block.

I had a friend ,he was old ,an he moved out of Calif. ,an moved to Montana ,he said that even though that it snows ,its
a different type of cold ,he was also a air condition & heating man ,he has 35 yrs in that an sheet metal fabrication!

He said here in the valley ,Calif. ,is a bone chilling cold ,we have fog ,freezes ,no sunny days!
We have to be careful in growing crops because of that ,an we have wind machines in the orange groves!

That RD Logic truck looks like a good one ,does look more like an HPI though ,That is a Ofna Hyper 8 port ,its
a bad boy engine an has plenty power!...:cool:

However ,I don't like to see engines stored with out any cover over the carb.!....:thumbs-down:

I had seen were someone made some slight mods for the Mgt. ,using Revo knuckles & LST XXL drive axles!

The Revo has much beefier knuckles!

i was curious about that, it looks like a Savage Clone, RD logics seems to be quality stuff, and their wolverine is a bit cheaper than a savage new. one of these days ill have to buy a savage but for now MGTs and LSTs lol

looking at the pictures the truck looks to be the .21 model, the only difference between that and the 4.6 is the motor correct? seems there isnt very much info on the original MGT it seems to be superseded to the 4.6. everything that i can tell looks to be the same as the one i already have but that one very well could have been a .21 to start with as well to my knowledge.

Back