This is the shizzznizzle for drivers...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobH

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
This post goes out to those poor saps like me that have to run around like a nut looking for hardware drivers to make Windows work.

http://drivermagic.com/

That site has this tool you can download. You run it on the problem computer and it makes an html file that you can save to disk. You then pop the disk into a computer with Internet access. You upload the html file to this site and it tells you all of the hardware you have. They even give you links to download the drivers.

This place if the pewp. Even if you don't use their drivers, you at least know which devices to search for.

I hope they stay around because I'll be using them 3-4 times a week.

-Rob

Another good source if you know what hardware you have is html://www.driverguide.com

Theres no need to sign up as they always give out the same username and password ......user=drivers pass=all.

and if you need a boot disk....
html://www.bootdisk.com

I've been to both of those. I typically don't want to open the computer or it's a laptop or the hardware isn't labled or something. This is the only site that I know of that has a database of vender ids and product ids where you can find out pretty much what it is you're working with.

Have you ever gone to dells web site and they give you 4 different possible modems that might be in the computer? Then you open up the case and the modem has nothing at all printed on it. You start searching for info off the FCC ID or the vend / dev ID and then you end up on some japanses site because Dell doesn't offer the Windows 2000 drivers. Then you're like "I can't read Japanese" so you guess which driver is the one you need. Five hours later, you know a little more japanese than you should but you know what the card is and you have the driver.

That stuff ticks me off. The above site is a big time saver. I've used it twice now. :thumbup:

Will the download from that site work on white boxes as well? Or only name brand machines.

You have to download it and check it out. It works for everything. The database of hardware must be MASSIVE and it must grow everyday.

They wont let you download the drivers for free. I just use the program and their site to figure out what I have then I know exactly what to look for. It's awsome.

http://drivermagic.co.nz/x/wizard

It's sounds like it might be handy after you wipe the disk clean before remembering to look in device manager to see what you had!

(I've never done that.)

Back