Tips and Tools for Removing Stubborn Fasteners

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Untitled32_20210720103120.png

We've all been there. That problem screw. I have seen numerous posts on multiple forums where people have ran into trouble removing screws on their RC vehicles. So I wanted to put this together to help people who may be new to turning wrenches.

Since Allen screws seem to be the most troublesome, I will list tools that I have used over the years for the various Allen fasteners. But first, a little about me...

I worked with small fasteners every day for 25 years. Whether it was bolts holding parts on a fixture, or the locking screws and grubs holding cutting inserts in milling and turning tools - I faced problem fasteners on a daily basis due to them being used in a viloent machining environment. I have seen way more than my share of screws that were stuck, beaten by debris, sheared off, and seemingly welded to the tool holder from an insert failure or machine crash. Believe me, when you have a screw stuck in an insert cutter costing $4500+ like the one below you WILL get that screw out!
Untitled33_20210720122414.png

Tools
First off, buy quality tools. I cannot stress this enough. You are buying something that has to hold up to thousands of uses. Spending a little extra now will save you a lot of money in the long run, and will prevent so many headaches.

Here are some of my favorite brands of hex tools, along with recommendations from members here:

1. Wera Hex Plus -
gt-hex-plus-1.jpg

Wera's hex profile creates more surface contact in the corners of Allen head sockets. It is slightly star-shaped as you see on the right. These were my goto tools in the machine shop for changing inserts. They have this style screwdriver in 2mm, 2.5mm, and 3mm, but the L-shaped sets have lots of other sizes in this Hex Plus profile.

2. Eklind T-Handle Allen Wrenches
31rbrSVgncL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Very durable T-handles. After trying about 10 different sets, I found these and used them through most of my career. The long shaft not only comes in handy for hard to reach fasteners, but also helps you to not strip a screw. It acts like a torque wrench. If the shaft starts to twist a bit, try something else, like heat.

3. Dynamite Machined Hex Drivers
20210720_115236.jpg

I have all 5 of these drivers that Dynamite sells. I bought them over 6 years ago, and they still look like new. Love them.

4. Moores Idea Products Hex Drivers
Screenshot_20210720-115127_Amazon Shopping.jpg

While I haven't used these, I know from being in the hobby, and based on recommendations from others, these kick butt.

5. Team EDS
EDS-110992-2.jpg

Recommended here as another quality item. I like the way they use the rings turned into the handle to designate what size tool it is. Really cool idea!

Tips N Tricks
If you run into a screw that seems really tight, the first instinct is to just try harder to break it loose. But if there is Loctite holding the screw in, you may be in for a fight. So try taking a soldering iron and heating the screw before trying to force it out.

Speaking of Loctite, most people drench their screws in Loctite, or they use the wrong Loctite. You want to use 242 or 243 Blue Loctite and you want just a tiny drop on the screw, a couple threads back from the first thread, as seen below.
Screenshot_20210720-120342_Chrome.jpg

If you can let the Loctite setup on the screw before installing, you will find it easier to remove later. Putting the screw in wet will basically glue it in the hole, with lots of contact area. The purpose of Loctite is to create a small pressure point in the threads that prevents the screw from turning freely. Not glue the screw into the hole permanently. Which is worse - losing a screw due to too little Loctite? Or mangling that 7075 billet chassis with a dremel due to too much?

If all else fails, and you end up mangling a screw, you can try various brands of screw extractors. I have never used them, but people say they work.

Other methods are to take a dremel or pencil grinder with a thin cutoff wheel and cut a slit in the screw to get a flat screwdriver in it. Sometimes this is impossible with other things in the way. Again, have fun.

My favorite way to remove a damaged screw is with a Torx bit. Odds are one will fit snugly. If you have to force it in, great. 9 times out of 10 this will work, as long as you didn't completely round the hex out.

If you have to resort to drilling the screw out, use a bit the same size as the minor diameter (drilled hole size) of the screw. Once you get past the head, you can remove the part the screw was holding on and grab the rest of the screw with vise grips to remove it.

Resources
You can find the drill diameters for various threads by downloading this PDF from Starrett
Download it, print it on 8.5x11, and laminate it. It comes in very handy!

Fasteners
While having cheap tools can cause you headaches by stripping out your fasteners, often the culprit is the cheap hardware used in our RC cars. If you want good hardware to replace your screws with, don't go to ebay and spend $20 or more on a cheap hardware kit from China. Go to www.mcmaster.com
Buy in bulk to save some cash. The hardware here is a little more expensive, but in the long run you will be happy you bought quality screws and nuts.

Stay away from the gimmicky, pretty anodized aluminum hardware. You are just asking for trouble. Stainless is ok, but just be aware that stainless is softer than good old grade 8 nuts and bolts. And stainless will still corrode! Just not as fast as steel hardware will. Anytime you put aluminum in contact with any other metal, corrosion will occur. The best way to combat this is with coated fasteners. Dip your screw threads in paint and let it dry. Something like Rustoleum will do. Hit em with a heat gun to speed it up. Then apply the Loctite and let it dry.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I couldnt agree more on the quality tools part. Since switching to high quality allen wrenches that are made from rolled spring steel and the hex heads are precision ground I have not stripped a hex head screw. I stripped plenty before I started using quality tools. I recommend Team EDS tools as they are made in the fashion I just described. Hudy also makes their wrenches the same way, in fact Hudy and Team EDS tools are made the same exact way. Other than the color and the name on the handle theyre basically the same tools only Team EDS is about half the cost of Hudy.

I couldnt agree more on the quality tools part. Since switching to high quality allen wrenches that are made from rolled spring steel and the hex heads are precision ground I have not stripped a hex head screw. I stripped plenty before I started using quality tools. I recommend Team EDS tools as they are made in the fashion I just described. Hudy also makes their wrenches the same way, in fact Hudy and Team EDS tools are made the same exact way. Other than the color and the name on the handle theyre basically the same tools only Team EDS is about half the cost of Hudy.
Never seen those before. Will have to check them out!

Thanks for the link. I will be grabbing some things for sure. Nice looking tools.
I love the ground hexes. You can actually feel them really bite in to the screw when you have to apply force to it.

Just ordered a couple eds hex wrenches because of this thread. I'll do a comparison with my mips when I get them
I'm totally hanging in suspense at this Pat! I've actually wondered for a long time how they stack up against the MIPs. Not sure if MIPs have ways to designate the size they are by simply glancing at them but the Team EDS drivers do. They have bands arounds the tops (see pic, metric on left) 3 full bands means its 3mm, 2 full bands and a band half the width of the full bands means its a 2.5mm driver, 2 full bands means 2mm so on and so forth. The SAE on the right in the pic have bands too but they dont directly translate in to fractions but you can at least know by looking at the bands which wrench is bigger than which :)

I really like that feature along with spinning top caps and the knurled handles. Top caps are color coded too. Silver for metric and red for SAE. I feel like Team EDS has been and still are highly underrated tools.
SDC13917.JPG

I'm totally hanging in suspense at this Pat! I've actually wondered for a long time how they stack up against the MIPs. Not sure if MIPs have ways to designate the size they are by simply glancing at them but the Team EDS drivers do. They have bands arounds the tops (see pic, metric on left) 3 full bands means its 3mm, 2 full bands and a band half the width of the full bands means its a 2.5mm driver, 2 full bands means 2mm so on and so forth. The SAE on the right in the pic have bands too but they dont directly translate in to fractions but you can at least know by looking at the bands which wrench is bigger than which :)

I really like that feature along with spinning top caps and the knurled handles. Top caps are color coded too. Silver for metric and red for SAE. I feel like Team EDS has been and still are highly underrated tools.
View attachment 129921
Oh man. See, I would love to have those! Same for the MIP ones. I know I have seen bad reviews of Dynamite tools, but the fact that mine are so nice I just can't justify spending more money on tools I don't really need.

That being said - the SCX24 has screws smaller than my set goes. So I need something below 1.5mm. So I will probably be buying a few of these, in fear that I will be hooked and have to buy them all. OCD won't let me have just one. Seriously. Then I will need to reprint my hex bit holder lol.

in fear that I will be hooked and have to buy them all. OCD won't let me have just one. Seriously.
I totally get it, I'm the same way.

Team EDS also sells a whole line of tools under the brand name A-Plus and they honestly look like the same exact tools just a different color and prices are pretty much the same. Not sure I understand why that is. They didnt have the A-Plus brand back when I first started buying tools from them. Maybe Ill send them a message and ask em.

Reply: We developed to lines with different price points, because some people just like to pay more. 🤣
Price points are pretty much the same too though. Thats what i dont understand. Seems to be the same product with different branding. Not sure why one company would make 2 lines of the same (or at least very similar) products.

Price points are pretty much the same too though. Thats what i dont understand. Seems to be the same product with different branding. Not sure why one company would make 2 lines of the same (or at least very similar) products.

That is odd.

Never stripped a hex since getting the MIP wrenches!
Worth every penny.

I'll never understand how those "hex+" work any better than a typical hex. If the screw head was shaped to fit the hex+, then it would make sense, but on both, the contact is at the corner only and whether the entire face of the edge is touching or not, just seems like it would end up with the same result.

I've been using MIP for quite a few years, but I use their speed bits in my milwaukee M12 driver with a clutch. My hands can't deal with small wrenches anymore.

I also bought some PB Swiss bits to use when out bashing. They fit in the handle of my ratchet screwdriver nicely. They seem very hard and fit the screws nice and tight.

My hands can't deal with small wrenches anymore.
Bro, I feel your pain there!

Team EDS also sells a whole line of tools under the brand name A-Plus and they honestly look like the same exact tools just a different color and prices are pretty much the same. Not sure I understand why that is. They didnt have the A-Plus brand back when I first started buying tools from them. Maybe Ill send them a message and ask em.
Heres the response i got back from Team EDS about teh A-Plus line of tools.

"Hi Shane,

You're right, they are the same except for the colors. Both brands are manufactured at the same location. We have two different websites for them, www.a-plusrc.us and the www.team-eds.com. The A-Plus brand started with after market hop-ups then we added the tools to it and the Team-EDS brand is mainly tools. We're just combining both brands to one website and we will be closing the A-plus website in the near future. I hope that answers your questions.

Best regards,
Vinh"

Every other time I try to order anything it's out of stock. It sucks

Back