FMS Max Smasher V2 Initial Thoughts and Paint

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
This lil guy showed up today, and I just have to say... this thing is pretty darned impressive. I grabbed the white one because it kinda makes me think of it as a blank canvas. I'm going to focus mainly on the body in this post.
fmm12402wh.jpg

First of all - including USA-1 decals with it is sacrilegious! This is a Ford F-100. USA-1 was a Chevy. Being a diehard monster truck fan since the beginning, this just irks me a bit. The decals are waterslide decals though, which is kinda cool. It reminds me of my model building days.
20230405_150928.jpg

And before you go all like "Whoa man! You tore it apart!". Yes, I did. But it is why I wanted to post this. This is one of the best engineered small scale RC's I have ever seen. Move over SCX24 - FMS isn't playin' around!
20230405_145859.jpg

The body is of course a hardbody, and rivals some of the best 25th scale models I have ever built. The lines are crisp. The flat(ish) surfaces are perfect, with no deformations from mold releasing too early. These guys made a seriously nice model here guys. Very impressive work. I can't wait to get some paint applied.
20230405_145920.jpg

20230405_152202.jpg

Disassembling the body for paint... I have to say it - FMS meant for you to take this apart and put a badass paintjob on it. It strips down to just the plastic shell quite easily. Even the lenses in the roll bar are held in with TINY screws. And to show you what I mean about their engineering, just look at the locating tab on the shaft of the lens (bottom of shaft). That's so it doesn't spin in the housing when tightening the screw. Someone was using their thinking cap on this one.
20230405_150017.jpg

20230405_150104.jpg

The tail light lenses have clear locking tabs so you can light them up from the back if you are feeling crafty. Sadly, there is no housing to hold LED's in the rear of the truck, but it wouldn't be hard to come up with something.
20230405_152851.jpg

The grille is very detailed, and even has openings. I can't even begin to tell you how time consuming and costly this mold was to make. Tiny tools break, and this took some tiny surfacing endmills. Or maybe FMS has created a replicator and are keeping it secret 🤔
20230405_150140.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the notch in the left side of the light buckets that locates the lense and keeps it from turning.
20230405_145943.jpg

I feel like FMS needs to send me a free truck for this, because it turned into a review. But I haven't seen anything this cool when it comes to an RC in a very long time. That being said, a review always needs to have some cons. So here we go.

They should really get rid of the USA-1 decals. It would have been much better to have included a few graphic designs like the Axial Ryft comes with. It would have also been nice if the side markers were actual lenses instead of just molded into the body. And it would also have been nice to have a back window. Where are us hillbillies going to put our gun rack? And it would have been nice if it had an interior. But with the tinted windows, it's really not needed.

I'm just sitting here trying to nitpick this thing, and to be honest, I really can't complain too much. Like I said, it's an impressive little truck, and I am not one to be easily impressed. Great job FMS!

What's impressive is how quickly you get to work!
Great first thoughts. Very informative!
I can't wait to see how she turns out🤙
Yeah, I should have did an unboxing video, a first run video, etc. But after driving it for a few minutes I sat it back on the bench and started looking it over. I was like "how is this held in" and "what needs to be done to paint it", and I just started dismantling it. As I did, I just felt like I should be showing what I was finding out about it. The chrome parts are soaking in Super Clean right now. I'm hoping the chrome comes off easily.

Yeah, I should have did an unboxing video, a first run video, etc. But after driving it for a few minutes I sat it back on the bench and started looking it over. I was like "how is this held in" and "what needs to be done to paint it", and I just started dismantling it. As I did, I just felt like I should be showing what I was finding out about it. The chrome parts are soaking in Super Clean right now. I'm hoping the chrome comes off easily.
Well I just messed up the body on mine even more so right now I own the ugliest max smasher around. I hope I can make it look somewhat decent because if I order a new body it would get here in May! :oops:😅

Well said Wicked! I’m not very good at articulating my thoughts and opinions sometimes.. And I don’t have any other 1/24 scale stuff to compare it with either, so…

Glad you like as much as Mango and I do tho. 🤙

Well I just messed up the body on mine even more so right now I own the ugliest max smasher around. I hope I can make it look somewhat decent because if I order a new body it would get here in May! :oops:😅
Amazon has 14 of the blue bodies in stock for prime delivery. 😉

Me too which is why you'll never hear me say a word on my YT channel. 😆
That's what editing software is for bro 😉

I sat for about a half hour staring at the truck trying to come up with a paint scheme. This body style just doesn't want to give me any ideas other than a candy red top and white bottom, with black details here and there. Maybe I could do some real fire on it with the airbrush, but I think I'm going to keep the paint plain then do some sponsor decals.

Me too which is why you'll never hear me say a word on my YT channel. 😆
That’s funny I’m the opposite, I’m pretty comfortable talking out my azz on camera. 😂
Just won’t see my face! 🥸

I sat for about a half hour staring at the truck trying to come up with a paint scheme. This body style just doesn't want to give me any ideas other than a candy red top and white bottom, with black details here and there. Maybe I could do some real fire on it with the airbrush, but I think I'm going to keep the paint plain then do some sponsor decals.
A two tone would be cool.

Did you tear the chassis apart? I’m curious if the Dead Van body would fit? Is the wheel base close enough to work? I so badly want to see a van body on one of these.

That’s funny I’m the opposite, I’m pretty comfortable talking out my azz on camera. 😂
Hahaha! Have you seen my Axial Ryft build video? It's just a slideshow. 🤪
That's what editing software is for bro 😉

Red and White just belongs together. Would be sick!

A two tone would be cool.

Did you tear the chassis apart? I’m curious if the Dead Van body would fit? Is the wheel base close enough to work? I so badly want to see a van body on one of these.
I am not going to touch anything on the chassis until I get the Furitek chassis. I did the Paypal pay in 4 on this and the parts I got already, so I have to wait to pay that off before I have any more play money.

Excuse the messy workbench 😉
20230406_051047.jpg

20230406_051837.jpg

But yeah, she would fit nicely. You'd have to figure out a way to mount it.

On that note... the Smasher body is actually a bit long for the standard Deadbolt chassis, but with the extended links, I think it would fit quite nicely.
20230406_051555.jpg

Thats what I'm going with too. That Furitek chassis looks pretty good!
Yeah, I wish they offered them in more colors. No idea why they don't have a red one 🤷‍♂️ How about we all email them and demand more colors?

And dammit Hammer, now you got me thinking. I could put a different body on this 🤔

But I think I am just going to slap some paint and decals on this and call it good.

On a sad note... the Super Clean is not removing the chrome from the detail parts. That is a real bummer. It works great on AMT and Revell chrome parts, but not this stuff 🤬 I have some Tsmiya window tint. Maybe I will black chrome them 🤔

Last edited:
Yeah, I wish they offered them in more colors. No idea why they don't have a red one 🤷‍♂️ How about we all email them and demand more colors?
🤔
More color options would be good and if the sold the parts individually so you could ad some contrast instead of one solid color through the entire chassis.

Vinyl wrap! You can also glue styrene to modify or plug holes etc before wraping.

Vinyl wrap! You can also glue styrene to modify or plug holes etc before wraping.
Good idea. I tried to use silver nail polish to paint the trim on the side of the body. Well the tape didnt hold lines at a few spots and the paint ran pretty badly. Tried peeling the still tacky paint and it took the blue paint clean off. If anything I could just strip all of it clean and just spray a whole new coat...but I suck at painting too. hahaha
Is it easy to wrap such a small truck body? I've never done a wrap before.
20230405_191208.jpg

Good idea. I tried to use silver nail polish to paint the trim on the side of the body. Well the tape didnt hold lines at a few spots and the paint ran pretty badly. Tried peeling the still tacky paint and it took the blue paint clean off. If anything I could just strip all of it clean and just spray a whole new coat...but I suck at painting too. hahaha
Duct tape. That chrome tape for the attic. That's my trim trick. I'm gonna start a paint thread soon to show all my tricks.

As far as how easy, 1/16 is the smallest I have, and I did a 1/10 mt body for it. That size is easy to work with. I didn't think about this tiny size. 🫣 plastidip is my second choice, just limited to certain colors.

Duct tape. That chrome tape for the attic. That's my trim trick. I'm gonna start a paint thread soon to show all my tricks.

As far as how easy, 1/16 is the smallest I have, and I did a 1/10 mt body for it. That size is easy to work with. I didn't think about this tiny size. 🫣 plastidip is my second choice, just limited to certain colors.
Looking forward to your tips and tricks thread.
I'll definitely be less ambitious with my new body. 😜🤣

View attachment 163033
I use vinyl masking tape from Amazon. It keeps paint from bleeding under, and peels off cleanly. But I also use an airbrush and do some light dusting coats around the tape first to help prevent bleeding.