Tips and Tools for Removing Stubborn Fasteners

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i bought this set it might be good enough.
Screenshot 2023-12-09 204448.png

Last edited:
having a complete torx set would be handy.
going by this chart a T25 should fit.
I measured with a digital caliper a damaged inner hex screw and it measured from 4.10mm to 4.5mm..i feel like such a nerd🤓
View attachment 176650
You would need to know this dimension.
Untitled64_20240131074714.png

And even that won't be extremely accurate because of the lobes on the star wrence not fitting into the sharp corners of the allen socket. I usually just try a couple til I find the one that fits best.

i have used a couple of my torx sockets to remove some stubborn hex screws it can save time it's worth having them.
When I was machining, we would usually get little flag handled torx wrenches with the inserts. Various sizes. I always kept them just for sacrificial set screw removal tools. Even if I had to touch them on the surface grinder to make them get a good bite in a fastener, they worked great.

When I was machining, we would usually get little flag handled torx wrenches with the inserts. Various sizes. I always kept them just for sacrificial set screw removal tools. Even if I had to touch them on the surface grinder to make them get a good bite in a fastener, they worked great.
There's that good feeling sticking a torx end into a rounded hex screw that's fits tight then removing it and knowing you didn't spend more time getting angry at it :naughty:

Back