Just been given this to fix... gonna need some help tho!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to mention, whatever brand battery you buy make sure it will fit in your battery tray before you buy it! The sizes are not standardized! :)

Bro... Having electric RCs as your hobby and not learning how to solder is like having guns as a hobby and not learning how to actually shoot. We all suck when we first start out, you gotta practice. Practice on pieces of wire till you get a half way decent handle on it then do you battery connectors and then your ESCs.
That would be nice, IF i was just starting out. I have been messing with RC stuff going back 30 years. Now i work on 1:1 cars, and still dont solder. Any soldering i need done at work, my brother does. I dont have steady enough hands for it, and never have. Years ago, when RC's had to be soldered, my dad or my brother would do it for me.

I can only work out two readings, red/black and blue/black which gave the figures above... so the highest is the combined volts and the car died at over 6v so the battery must be really dead then?
Measure Red/ Blue, thats the third measurement you're missing. two of the readings are going to be the cells individually and the other is going to be both cells combined.

Cheers man 🤦‍♂️Haha 😂
BTW, When money allows you may want to pick up a cheap cell checker. Its a fast way to check all the voltages of your lipos. Theyre fairly inexpensive too.

Something like this. Any cell checker will work though.
https://www.amazon.com/CellMeter-Di...t=&hvlocphy=9015828&hvtargid=pla-568596084420

That would be nice, IF i was just starting out. I have been messing with RC stuff going back 30 years. Now i work on 1:1 cars, and still dont solder. Any soldering i need done at work, my brother does. I dont have steady enough hands for it, and never have. Years ago, when RC's had to be soldered, my dad or my brother would do it for me.
Ahhh ok. I gotchu

yep, the cell checker is just easier. Just thought id make you aware of it in case you end up going further into the electric rabbit hole :)
Got it mate 😆
But the lipo checker Grey linked ya also has a servo tester. Good for electric and nitro 😉

I’ll bear that in mind bud thanks!!

*UPDATE*
It works!!!
THATS AWESOME BUD GOOD JOB!!! The instant power and tourqe of electric is crazy. And a blast to run. But 100% agree.. There's nothing that can beat the sound and smell and the shifting of nitro in the morning air 😁😁. I would look at the HRB, YOUME, ZEEE, lipos...

There's got to be a way to manually set the esc..with out using that card..think I found it for ya bud. Read threw this it tells you how to put esc into programing mode. You will need the manual. And the esc section of it..its on the right side of page..

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/8BSutTjTtDOj

The cell checker would be a fasyer easier way to test the lipo cells..you also could get a lipo alarm.. your manual says LVC is 3.0v thats too low..these will work as well the one can be used as alarm if esc lvc can't be changed...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y7R166Q/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_4QCY7MA1A68RHZY389ZN

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Y6E6IE/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_KWMV21MM5HYF0ZHDDHT8
It does when the guy I have do all my soldering for me charges me $15-$20
Wow really thats crazy man.. 30yrs in RCs and you haven't taken time to learn to solder. WHY.. your all about buying cheap crap. To save $$ and yet you throw $$ out the window.. for someone to solder your electronics. Now that makes no dam sense at all..🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ poop my 12 hr old daughter took time and now can solder....
Like everything else in the world you want to do it takes practice man.... should try it save more $. Then you can get better electronics... and might not have a box of esc anymore.😉

THATS AWESOME BUD GOOD JOB!!! The instant power and tourqe of electric is crazy. And a blast to run. But 100% agree.. There's nothing that can beat the sound and smell and the shifting of nitro in the morning air 😁😁. I would look at the HRB, YOUME, ZEEE, lipos...

There's got to be a way to manually set the esc..with out using that card..think I found it for ya bud. Read threw this it tells you how to put esc into programing mode. You will need the manual. And the esc section of it..its on the right side of page..

The cell checker would be a fasyer easier way to test the lipo cells..you also could get a lipo alarm.. your manual says LVC is 3.0v thats too low..these will work as well the one can be used as alarm if esc lvc can't be changed...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y7R166Q/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_4QCY7MA1A68RHZY389ZN

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Y6E6IE/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_KWMV21MM5HYF0ZHDDHT8

Wow really thats crazy man.. 30yrs in RCs and you haven't taken time to learn to solder. WHY.. your all about buying cheap crap. To save $$ and yet you throw $$ out the window.. for someone to solder your electronics. Now that makes no dam sense at all..🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ poop my 12 hr old daughter took time and now can solder....
Like everything else in the world you want to do it takes practice man.... should try it save more $. Then you can get better electronics... and might not have a box of esc anymore.😉
Hes got some sort of medical issue that makes his hands shake so he can't solder.

Hes got some sort of medical issue that makes his hands shake so he can't solder.
He needs the one handed soldering gun... might be a little easier for him. Wasn't trying to be a di*k. I was just shocked he said that with all the RC stuff he does and has..but he also could get the helping hands to hold everything in one place..that would make it easier for him as well..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GLVN4X9/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_ENJY9QPMH0BQBXR4AZ1C?psc=1

Oh I got some for him bud take a look at this hack.. this is awesome idea for anyone really. That has shaky hands. And it's not expensive at all.... 30$ 40$ not bad at all.. where there's a will there's always a way...

https://gizmodo.com/clever-maker-with-hand-tremors-turned-a-smartphone-gimb-1847009558

https://www.instructables.com/Solder-Station-Stabilizer/
Any soldering i need done at work, my brother does. I dont have steady enough hands for it, and never have. Years ago, when RC's had to be soldered, my dad or my brother would do it for me.
I was shocked when I read this. And busted your chops. No offense about it. But I found this for you bud.. you might want to look into this one for your shaky hands bud.. hope it can help you out looks like a awesome idea anyone could use really....👍👍

https://www.instructables.com/Solder-Station-Stabilizer/

https://gizmodo.com/clever-maker-with-hand-tremors-turned-a-smartphone-gimb-1847009558

If you would have actually read the replies, you would have realized we are talking about two different versions of HW ESC's. One has to be soldered, one doesn't, one sensored, one sensorless, and right now, i can get the sensorless version, with programming card on eBay for $1 more than HW direct wants for the sensored version, and $10 less than HW direct wants for the same one. As for the soldering part, helping hands wont help in my situation, and, since i see no advantage to a sensorless ESC, since i dont race or do rock crawling, and by the time i buy the solder, wire, bullet connectors, and heat shrink for the sensored version, I'm about at the price HW direct wants for the sensorless version, it makes more sense for me to just buy the sensorless version in the first place.

Thanks stoner mate, I’ll take a look at that! Sorry I’ve not replied earlier, been out with the boys at their football match today, then at my local towns football match.
I think I’m gonna buy the Zeee Lipo as it’s the best priced I can find atm glad it’s a good one!

If you would have actually read the replies, you would have realized we are talking about two different versions of HW ESC's. One has to be soldered, one doesn't, one sensored, one sensorless, and right now, i can get the sensorless version, with programming card on eBay for $1 more than HW direct wants for the sensored version, and $10 less than HW direct wants for the same one. As for the soldering part, helping hands wont help in my situation, and, since i see no advantage to a sensorless ESC, since i dont race or do rock crawling, and by the time i buy the solder, wire, bullet connectors, and heat shrink for the sensored version, I'm about at the price HW direct wants for the sensorless version, it makes more sense for me to just buy the sensorless version in the first place.
Oh I read threads all the way threw..
I also was on here the other night. When you said. "you get the 10lb 60A rtr esc for $45 And a 10lb 120A RTR esc for $58.. off ebay and that would have been the better way to do or the way you would do it correct. Well I don't understand how you say you get them cheaper then direct from hobby wing off ebay.. well what the hell does that mean just because the esc is sensored doesn't mean you have to run it that way it will work either motor. Did you KNOW that guess not so you pay 10$ more for nothing. And giving up a better esc for a cheap one because you don't know any better thank you. Maybe you should do some research before you suggest equipment or anything.. so the 60A is 38 and the 120A is 46$. From hobby wing so you just keep buying the non sensored esc's for 10$more for no dam reason. And you have a box of those esc taken up space way to go and save a buck....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211023-145748_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211023-145748_Chrome.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20211023-145757_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211023-145757_Chrome.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 19
@StonerRC365 looking at the setting instructions, you can only set the cut off at 6 volts for a 2 cell Lipo, that’s what happened when it ran out as it limits the power at that level to a crawl... gonna need that card then unless the options will be the same for that too

Thanks stoner mate, I’ll take a look at that! Sorry I’ve not replied earlier, been out with the boys at their football match today, then at my local towns football match.
I think I’m gonna buy the Zeee Lipo as it’s the best priced I can find atm glad it’s a good one!
No worries bud. How was the game? How did the team do? Yea man sounds like a plan. I just love when guys think they know better about stuff. Need any other help bud we are always here. And the wire mesh is great. Might want to take a closer look at those motor wires... As our sitting next to it like you can't see it already... 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
I love that sleeving I use it my self makes it all look clean. And it's cheap 4 -6 dollars...can get it in any size👍👍
16350177606743428905616165424173.jpg

@StonerRC365 looking at the setting instructions, you can only set the cut off at 6 volts for a 2 cell Lipo, that’s what happened when it ran out as it limits the power at that level to a crawl... gonna need that card then unless the options will be the same for that too
Did you read threw the links I sent ya before. The one shows you how you can manually set the esc bud. It's all about listening to the beeps of the esc.. and using the throttle for yes and no
If that is the case then you need a LVC alarm.. because that's to low for a LVC. You will ruin you new lipo..

Oh I read threads all the way threw..
I also was on here the other night. When you said. "you get the 10lb 60A rtr esc for $45 And a 10lb 120A RTR esc for $58.. off ebay and that would have been the better way to do or the way you would do it correct. Well I don't understand how you say you get them cheaper then direct from hobby wing off ebay.. well what the hell does that mean just because the esc is sensored doesn't mean you have to run it that way it will work either motor. Did you KNOW that guess not so you pay 10$ more for nothing. And giving up a better esc for a cheap one because you don't know any better thank you. Maybe you should do some research before you suggest equipment or anything.. so the 60A is 38 and the 120A is 46$. From hobby wing so you just keep buying the non sensored esc's for 10$more for no dam reason. And you have a box of those esc taken up space way to go and save a buck....
OK, i am totally lost one one part of this, and that is the 60A sensored vs sensorless. One, no i dont see how a sensorless is better, since they are supposedly only better for rock crawling, which, frankly, i can't stand, and, two, i can get the sensorless, with program card (which is $10 by itself), on ebay right now for the same price as the sensored (without program card) from HW direct: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234235881158 So where do you see that i am spending $10 more on it? And, what you can't seem to understand is that, to me, i am not spending anymore for the 120A sensorless, since, for the sensored, you have to buy wires, solder, connectors, and heat shrink, and by the time you buy all that, you are at over $60 for the 120A sensored, and it is $58 or less on eBay for the sensorless 120A, so where do you see that i am spending any more or any less with how i do it?

EDIT: Right now, the sensorless HW 120A is on eBay for $56.95: https://www.ebay.com/itm/233595603822?hash=item3663620b6e:g:xI4AAOSw-wVex3dE

Last edited:
No worries bud. How was the game? How did the team do? Yea man sounds like a plan. I just love when guys think they know better about stuff. Need any other help bud we are always here. And the wire mesh is great. Might want to take a closer look at those motor wires... As our sitting next to it like you can't see it already... 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
I love that sleeving I use it my self makes it all look clean. And it's cheap 4 -6 dollars...can get it in any size👍👍
View attachment 135483

Did you read threw the links I sent ya before. The one shows you how you can manually set the esc bud. It's all about listening to the beeps of the esc.. and using the throttle for yes and no

If that is the case then you need a LVC alarm.. because that's to low for a LVC. You will ruin you new lipo..
They got beat but they are in the wrong league atm, they’re a newly set up team, but the team works hard and our player got man of the match again, so it’s all good mate thanks!
And yeah I read the link you sent it’s gonna be useful to set the brake and acceleration, much appreciated!
And I’ll check out the LVC, any recommendations on brands to check out bud, don’t want to waste money wrecking a brand new Lipo! Suppose that’s what has been happening to this Lipo along with the charger being a simple type?

Back