HPI-Killer's Traxxas Jato Truggy Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay, so I lied, its not a truggy yet! But it will be one by the end of winter.
I will post up any and all questions regarding ANYTHING about nitro and the setup of the rig. I will also be posting all my pics here so make sure you check in regularly for updates or questions :D

Other than that here is what is on it as of now:
---------------------------------------------
TAM86030 Tamiya PS-30 Brilliant Blue Lexan Spray Paint (3oz)
PAR10794 Parma PSE Pre-Cut Paint Mask, Splash Design
RPM80752 RPM Rear A-Arms (Black) (Jato) "Not Installed Yet"
PRO2729-03 Pro-Line 30 Series Desperado 2.8" Rear Nitro Wheels (2) (Black)
PRO2728-03 Pro-Line 30 Series Desperado 2.8" Front Nitro Wheels (2) (Black)
PRO1173-00 Pro-Line 30 Series Badlands 2.8 Tire (2)
TRA5483 Traxxas Resonator Tuned Pipe, Low RPM (Jato)
TRA5511 Traxxas Jato Body (Clear)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought I had a "before" picture, but only with all the new upgrades on:
P1070290.jpg

P1070289.jpg

P1070291.jpg

P1070292.jpg

P1070293.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, first concern, I can't find the factory 'Idle" needle settings, does anyone know?

Last edited:
Factory settings are the same for all the 3.3 engines. Try the Traxxas site but I'm sure someone on here knows what they are. Its not in the book?

Also you do have before pics, they are in my post in the FS section :)

Tires look good, those are stiffer springs already installed in the rear, i was trying to keep it from drooping

Yeah they are stiff but will work great for the track I will be bashing at this winter, I love the street wheels and tires that came with it though and will save those for spring time.

Okay I am having a few issues, when I start it, it only turns the engine a couple 1-2s at a time then I hear a spin noise as if its not engaging, battery too dead or something more?

Also, I have no brakes at all, I am not sure how to adjust it so that it will brakes properly.

Lastly, when I get her turned over, all she wants to do is creep, and when I adjust my Idle needle down, it slows the spin, then just dies, or it will die when I set it on the ground...

I am a total rook at nitro still even though I have owned 3, this be my 4th, and need to learn so I dont ruin my engine and so I can get into Nitro and learn the ways of the guru.

Thanks guys, and great link ^^

Sounds like the one way bearing is slipping. You may need to remove the EZ start from the engine and clean or replace the one way bearing that should take care of your starting issues. I can't see from the pics how the brake setup works and since I don't personally own one of these trucks I can't give advice on that. You may need to adjust your throttle linkage. It may be closing off the carb completely when you're trying to idle it down to keep it from creeping off. Pop it off the carb and leave it disconnected. Then set your ilde gap and either lengthen or shorten your linakge so that it doesn't move when you are off throttle or applying the brakes.

^^ I will look into it thanks cwal^^

I bought Traxxas's Tuned Pipe for Low RPM, do I have to make a certain tune adjustment to go with this new pipe or do I tune it like it was the stock pipe?

You're going to love those badlands for bashing, they hook up EVERYWHERE! My Pede will wheelie with them at any speed, on any terrain. Only complaint, tire roll on the 2.2's.

You're going to love those badlands for bashing, they hook up EVERYWHERE! My Pede will wheelie with them at any speed, on any terrain. Only complaint, tire roll on the 2.2's.

One reason I got them is they look like a bulked up SCT tire and a very aggresive dirt bike tread style, and hopefully after I get her tuned up I can hit the local track and see what they doo and if they have roosting potential.

If the wheels try to spin when you start it, the clutch is most likely the problem. Spring probably broke.

[/COLOR]
One reason I got them is they look like a bulked up SCT tire and a very aggresive dirt bike tread style, and hopefully after I get her tuned up I can hit the local track and see what they doo and if they have roosting potential.

Yep, the MX style tread rocks as an all around tire, they'll roost for sure. I may try the traxxas specific 3.2's next time as they have a much lower profile and should help with tire roll. I freaking love 'em!

Last edited:
Do they make those tires for Monster Trucks? I'd love to get a set for my XL.

Thanks alot HPI indeed they look fun and I like the look. Hopefully they don't affect preformance overall, dont really want to beat on her for the fact nitro can get alot more expensive to fix & tune than electric so it requires a 'savings' to get it down and keep it goin.

--

Is there a way to launch like a 4wd rig without lifting the front end up past the point of any real control? I want to launch nice and quick without dancing all over my wheelie bar.

Last edited:
^^ Still looking for an answer :D ^^

--

Not even sure where the clutch is on this so I can check it out lol I am such a newb again..

you will have to remove the engine to find the clutch...its will be under the clutch bell.

Yours will have a single spring wrapped around two shoes.

Maybe I otta pull out the parts booklet for the jato and just order all the internals of the engine and rebuild the lower end of it, I am rather scared to pull the motor out in fear that I wont know what goes where and how it goes back together.

I appreciate ya Matt! :D

Hell Killer, you can handle it. Snap some pics for reference. Take er a step at a time though. A broken clutch can act like a bunch of problems. Like I said, if the wheels spin as you start the engine, the clutch is broke and the engine can't run right.

Indeed, I have snapped pics before, I just want to make sure to get her fixed quick, I dont want to fall out of the hobby, I'm giving crawling a break.

Since I have you on the line haha does my engine need a tune with the new low RPM tuned pipe? I'm going to go try an diagnose some sort of problem before I hit the sheets.

Back