"Frankenstein Rustler" 2 speed tranny.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Nitro R.C. lovers!
Today I bring you guys the "Frankenstein Rustler" which was made out of 2 used cars (Rustler and Jato) and a few new parts..
I wanted it to look different than the regular Rustler (grey upper chassis) and since the Jato's tranny is black I decided to black out as much as possible so it matches.
Hopefully you guys like it and it actually helps those who are interested in building a 2 speed Rustler 👍

View attachment 154939
First thing first I just want to start by saying I would suggest buying a new lower chassis (blue aluminum) and using the old one as draft as the tranny might not align the first time and using the new chassis once you've got everything traced, measured & aligned properly.
View attachment 154943
The reason I say it it's because even my final draft came out a bit crooked but I managed to rotate the transmission enough that it aligns evenly. Also I would suggest using the gas tank holder to align the engine first before placing the tranny so it actually falls into place smoothly.
You will have to cut a piece/edge of the gas tank holder as the fly wheel makes contact with it, in order for the flywheel to rotate freely.
View attachment 154944
View attachment 154945
After you've aligned the chassis correctly and cut the edge of the tank holder the engine should fit just fine in which case you can now remove it and place the tranny where it will go or make the necessary adjustments if needed for it to fit.
Before setting up the tranny and the rear suspension mounts I went ahead and removed the gas tank holder so I could maneuver without any issues. This is optional you can keep the gas tank already set if you would like but the screws that hold the tranny also hold the engine so you will definitely have to remove the engine.
View attachment 154949
View attachment 154950
Once the suspension mounts are set you can start placing the rear suspension arms and the back bulkhead.
The back bulkhead will not fit in the original holes so you will have to make new holes for it to fit.
View attachment 154952
Also make sure that the transmission is secured before placing the shock tower, I did this by drilling 2 holes on the bulkhead and connecting it to the transmissions back portion.

View attachment 154954
Once thats done you can place the shock tower and start connecting the rear suspension and battery holder.
View attachment 154955
View attachment 154956
View attachment 154957
Now you can place the tank holder back and start mounting the upper chassis.
View attachment 154958
View attachment 154959
So far this is where I'm at with the build.. This week I work all week so I won't be able to finish it until like the 10th of Nov. But if there's any questions please let me know I will try to answer to the best of my ability 👍
Great Post,,, goes along with what I was thinking about doing to an old Rustler to build a drag car out of it

Great Post,,, goes along with what I was thinking about doing to an old Rustler to build a drag car out of it
Thank you! This built would be great for drag racing with the right gear ratio and tire set up.

Poor Rustlers and Jatos don't have a lot of good short wheelbase drag body options, other than the Pinto and Capri bodies, but I wonder if this one wouldn't work - https://teambluegroove.com/products...ft-top-body-for-hpi-super-rs4-280mm-super-ten

Probably would require using 4-tec arms though.
I've been looking for different bodies for the wheelbase since I change the transmission but I haven't had any luck. Right now I have a 200mm Mustang body because it's the only one that fits, but it looks awkward. I might give the cobra a try and see if it works 👍

I was looking into changing the arms of the rustler to 4tec arms but haven't found a forum or someone who has done it..have you heard of anyone who has?
Also this is what the mustang body looks like on the Rustler, i think the 4tec arms would make it look way more natural aesthetically.

20230226_101727.jpg
20230226_101831.jpg

Back