Arrma Malvion 3S (Arrma 4x4 3S BLX LWB Truggy)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tow_glinka

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys,

So, this is a build thread about my Arrma Malvion 3S Truggy (what was 2018 purchased as a BRCC).
I will update it when I change things on the car, and I might add some more explicit information as I will just do a more or less fast description at the moment. If you have questions or want to know something more specifically / see some specific pictures just write, will be glad to answer all your questions.
Oh, the first two chunks of text will be more or less just a little backstory about the car and the name, so if you just want to go straight to the build itself just skip them.
Oh, and yes, if you have seen this on the Arrma forum, I have posted this build there as well. :D

To start of, here is a picture of the current car:

neue_Karo_vorne.jpg

This car started out as a Big Rock Crew Cab 3S. I bought it close to the end of 2018. I actually had a pause of RCing up to that point for some time, read a Big Squid RC review of the Granite 3S, and the RC bug (gladly) bit me again. I looked around and decided then to go with the BRCC as I liked the look and thought that a Monster would be a nice car to bash around a bit.
So, I got it, and before the first run put in my Abisma CR3P radio (Flysky technology) and my Team Corally CS-5016 servo which I got out of my not running Fury BLX. I bashed around a bit with my old 2S packs, and put in the only 3S pack I had back then. After running that for a minute decided to sell of all my old 2S packs and get more 3S packs, I was hooked.
After that I ran it a lot of times on 3S. As the stock tires weren't the best I ran my old HPI Bullet ST tires for some time which worked out okay. I switched to Louise MT-Cross tires which I loved as they gave phenomenal grip, but they also balooned a lot, which is why I had to reglue them pretty often (which is the reason why I gave them away). Then I converted the car to 17mm hex with some Traxxas parts and drove some Proline MT 2.8 Trenchers. They were pretty good, didn't baloon so much, but I still wasn't really satisfied. The Prolines just didn't grip as good offroad as the Louises did, and the 17mm conversion gave the axles a lot of slop which is never appreciated.
From here it now gets interesting. I had a Killerbody Rubik body on the car at that moment. I was at my LHS just looking around, and saw that the E-Revo body had almost the same dimensions which lead to me thinking that I could try to make a Truggy out of my BRCC (Yes, I know, the E-Revo is technically a Monster Truck, but the body still looks more like a Truggy to me). I bought the E-Revo body and some Louise SCT Pioneer tires, and with Short Course Tires and the E-Revo body this thing started to look like a Truggy. Oh, and I loved the way it handled on the SCT tires.
Also, at that point I decided to get myself a CEN Reeper (which is now substituted by a Kraton 6S), which lead to me having 3 Monster Trucks, and no car of another car class, so I decided to keep it in this sorta-Truggy-form. At some point I also had bought the Typhon Turnbuckles and RPM Typhon A-Arms to make the car wider, which made it look and handle even better.
After that, I had a few things changing in my personal life, which lead me to the decision to sell all my 3 RCs and reduce my garage to only one good car (I know, scary and mad thought, didn't know what bit me there :rolleyes:), a new Kraton 6S. So I got the Kraton and put my other cars on ebay (Arrma BRCC, Stampede 2wd, CEN Reeper). Gladly, only the Reeper got sold, and I could get the other two cars off of ebay, but I will explain in the naming part how that happened.
So, after that I had a blown motor bearing and decided to get a new brushless combo as I wanted to give it more power, and then with Covid-19, a few other upgrades like the new tires and the spoiler added to the list, then new shocks, and I ultimately ended up with the build I have now.

So about the naming, why is this thing called the Malvion 3S?
Let's start with the fact that I wanted to give this thing its own name. Why? Well, firstly I didn't know how to call it myself when I talk about it (it earlier just was my Arrma, but now that I have the Kraton...). I mean, it really isn't a BRCC anymore [although it has some traits like the bumpers, small stuff like 14mm hex & body posts, and ultimately its 'soul' as it started of as one], but it isn't a Typhon either [although it is probebly closest to one because of the width & wing], and then there is the fact that it is pretty much a Truggy now with its look and it running Truggy tires (or before that, SCT tires). Also I wanted it to have its own name as it is my own build, which I wanted to give its own personality.
So, after some thinking I ended up with Malvion 3S. On the one hand, it fits into the Arrma name spectrum and sounds similar to Talion [and I obvioulsy still run it on 3S]. On the other hand, the first 5 letters are referring to the names of a close friend of mine and me, as it is my build and she is basically the reason I still have the car and haven't sold it. If you're interested, this is how that happened:
Like I said, I had my cars for sale on ebay at that moment. She asked me if I wanted to come over for BBQ, and if I could bring my Kraton with me as her brother asked about that (he is also a good friend of mine, I took him with me the weekend before when I was bashing and he also got interested in the hobby). Although my Kraton wasn't running at the moment I said yes as they both were going through a lot of personal sh*t at that moment, so I thought some deflection might be a good idea. Sure enough, when I wanted to fix the Kraton, I didn't have the fitting spares and no possibility to get them in time. But I gave my word that I would bring an RC over for bashing, and I hate to break my word.
So, I took my already packed up BRCC out of the packaging and started to service it (I had to tear it down and put in new bearings in the whole drivetrain, as the old rubber sealed ones were seized up, and I still had a full new bearing kit ready ; Also, I needed to pull the 2nd receiver out of my Stampede packaging and put it in there as the BRCC didn't have any at the moment, so I needed to tear apart he packaging of the Pede too). After servicing it I wanted to give it a little test run to see if everything worked, and that is where the motor bearing of the original motor broke....so, as I gave my word, I got back to the work bench, pulled out the Brushless system out of my Kraton 6S and put it in the BRCC. And, as the Pede was also unpacked, I decided that I could take both with me.
Well, we drove both, and after fixing and driving both I just had to much fun with them to sell them and I decided to keep them and deleted the ebay add. So basically, if it weren't for the BBQ, I possibly would have already sold both whitch would have been a shame.

So, here comes the build part. These are the changes that transformed my BRCC into the Malvion 3S:

Chassis:
- T-Bone BRCC XV-6 Front Bumper
- T-Bone BRCC Wheelie Bar
- 2 round pieces of wood and 2 long screws to elongate the wheelie bar by 30mm and make it actually work
- Hot Racing Aluminium Pivot Ball Set
- RPM Typhon front & rear A-Arms
- Typhon Turnbuckles
- Typhon Wing & Wingmount
- Rubber sealed Ball bearings
- 4S slipper assembly
- Proline 2.8 LP Trenchers with 14mm Hex Inserts
- Kraton 6S shocks, limited shock travel with Carson 6x4mm Hydraulic Tube, mounted with Axial silicone shock spacers (The Typhon Shocks got pretty expensive, and I had the option to get 4 used Kraton shocks for 45€ with shipping)
- MAX8 mounting platform (milled out of 7075 aluminium ; I designed it myself, and a little friendly company milled it for me ; I can still take the motor out without removing the plate)

Electrics:
- Absima CR3P radio
- Team Corally CS-5016 servo
- Hobbywing MAX8 ESC
- TP Power 4030 3267kv motor (40x63mm)
- WTF 40mm fan, mounted with Exotec 1/8 scale V2 fan mount
- Lipos: always 3S Hardcase, mostly Arrowmax 6200mah or 7200mah

Setup:
- front diff oil: 10k cst
- rear diff oil: 15k cst
- front shock oil: 80wt
- rear shock oil: 80wt
- springs front: Kraton front
- springs rear: Kraton rear
- front shock position: outer hole
- rear shock position: outer hole
- pinion: 20 tooth

Body:
- RPM mock intake & blower, mounted to the front body posts with some longer screws
- old Body, still in use: Traxxas E-Revo Pro-Graphix, coloured in Tamiya PS-15 metallic red
- new Body: Tamiya TXT-1, coloured in Tamiya PS-18 metallic purple from the outside and Tamiya PS-41 bright silver from the inside (hope to get a similar effect when scratched up to the Notorious body)
- front body post at the rear & rear at the front to get the right heigth

You will have some pictures of the car further down.

If you've made it this far, thanks a lot for reading, I hope you enjoyed it, and feel free to post your opinion about the Malvion. Also, if you have any questions, post them down below, I will try to answer them as good as I can.

Future Plans:
- Hot Racing Sliding Motor mount, maybe gearing it up a bit if it doesn't run hot
- Muchmore 40mm fan protector
- testing the setup, tweaking it if necessary

Chassis without Body:

Chassis_vorne.jpg

Chassis_hinten.jpg

20200423_223848.jpg

old body:

alte_Karo_vorne.jpg

alte_Karo_hinten.jpg

new body:

neue_Karo_vorne.jpg

neue_Karo_hinten.jpg

Hi guys,

So, this is a build thread about my Arrma Malvion 3S Truggy (what was 2018 purchased as a BRCC).
I will update it when I change things on the car, and I might add some more explicit information as I will just do a more or less fast description at the moment. If you have questions or want to know something more specifically / see some specific pictures just write, will be glad to answer all your questions.
Oh, the first two chunks of text will be more or less just a little backstory about the car and the name, so if you just want to go straight to the build itself just skip them.
Oh, and yes, if you have seen this on the Arrma forum, I have posted this build there as well. :D

To start of, here is a picture of the current car:

View attachment 121955

This car started out as a Big Rock Crew Cab 3S. I bought it close to the end of 2018. I actually had a pause of RCing up to that point for some time, read a Big Squid RC review of the Granite 3S, and the RC bug (gladly) bit me again. I looked around and decided then to go with the BRCC as I liked the look and thought that a Monster would be a nice car to bash around a bit.
So, I got it, and before the first run put in my Abisma CR3P radio (Flysky technology) and my Team Corally CS-5016 servo which I got out of my not running Fury BLX. I bashed around a bit with my old 2S packs, and put in the only 3S pack I had back then. After running that for a minute decided to sell of all my old 2S packs and get more 3S packs, I was hooked.
After that I ran it a lot of times on 3S. As the stock tires weren't the best I ran my old HPI Bullet ST tires for some time which worked out okay. I switched to Louise MT-Cross tires which I loved as they gave phenomenal grip, but they also balooned a lot, which is why I had to reglue them pretty often (which is the reason why I gave them away). Then I converted the car to 17mm hex with some Traxxas parts and drove some Proline MT 2.8 Trenchers. They were pretty good, didn't baloon so much, but I still wasn't really satisfied. The Prolines just didn't grip as good offroad as the Louises did, and the 17mm conversion gave the axles a lot of slop which is never appreciated.
From here it now gets interesting. I had a Killerbody Rubik body on the car at that moment. I was at my LHS just looking around, and saw that the E-Revo body had almost the same dimensions which lead to me thinking that I could try to make a Truggy out of my BRCC (Yes, I know, the E-Revo is technically a Monster Truck, but the body still looks more like a Truggy to me). I bought the E-Revo body and some Louise SCT Pioneer tires, and with Short Course Tires and the E-Revo body this thing started to look like a Truggy. Oh, and I loved the way it handled on the SCT tires.
Also, at that point I decided to get myself a CEN Reeper (which is now substituted by a Kraton 6S), which lead to me having 3 Monster Trucks, and no car of another car class, so I decided to keep it in this sorta-Truggy-form. At some point I also had bought the Typhon Turnbuckles and RPM Typhon A-Arms to make the car wider, which made it look and handle even better.
After that, I had a few things changing in my personal life, which lead me to the decision to sell all my 3 RCs and reduce my garage to only one good car (I know, scary and mad thought, didn't know what bit me there :rolleyes:), a new Kraton 6S. So I got the Kraton and put my other cars on ebay (Arrma BRCC, Stampede 2wd, CEN Reeper). Gladly, only the Reeper got sold, and I could get the other two cars off of ebay, but I will explain in the naming part how that happened.
So, after that I had a blown motor bearing and decided to get a new brushless combo as I wanted to give it more power, and then with Covid-19, a few other upgrades like the new tires and the spoiler added to the list, then new shocks, and I ultimately ended up with the build I have now.

So about the naming, why is this thing called the Malvion 3S?
Let's start with the fact that I wanted to give this thing its own name. Why? Well, firstly I didn't know how to call it myself when I talk about it (it earlier just was my Arrma, but now that I have the Kraton...). I mean, it really isn't a BRCC anymore [although it has some traits like the bumpers, small stuff like 14mm hex & body posts, and ultimately its 'soul' as it started of as one], but it isn't a Typhon either [although it is probebly closest to one because of the width & wing], and then there is the fact that it is pretty much a Truggy now with its look and it running Truggy tires (or before that, SCT tires). Also I wanted it to have its own name as it is my own build, which I wanted to give its own personality.
So, after some thinking I ended up with Malvion 3S. On the one hand, it fits into the Arrma name spectrum and sounds similar to Talion [and I obvioulsy still run it on 3S]. On the other hand, the first 5 letters are referring to the names of a close friend of mine and me, as it is my build and she is basically the reason I still have the car and haven't sold it. If you're interested, this is how that happened:
Like I said, I had my cars for sale on ebay at that moment. She asked me if I wanted to come over for BBQ, and if I could bring my Kraton with me as her brother asked about that (he is also a good friend of mine, I took him with me the weekend before when I was bashing and he also got interested in the hobby). Although my Kraton wasn't running at the moment I said yes as they both were going through a lot of personal sh*t at that moment, so I thought some deflection might be a good idea. Sure enough, when I wanted to fix the Kraton, I didn't have the fitting spares and no possibility to get them in time. But I gave my word that I would bring an RC over for bashing, and I hate to break my word.
So, I took my already packed up BRCC out of the packaging and started to service it (I had to tear it down and put in new bearings in the whole drivetrain, as the old rubber sealed ones were seized up, and I still had a full new bearing kit ready ; Also, I needed to pull the 2nd receiver out of my Stampede packaging and put it in there as the BRCC didn't have any at the moment, so I needed to tear apart he packaging of the Pede too). After servicing it I wanted to give it a little test run to see if everything worked, and that is where the motor bearing of the original motor broke....so, as I gave my word, I got back to the work bench, pulled out the Brushless system out of my Kraton 6S and put it in the BRCC. And, as the Pede was also unpacked, I decided that I could take both with me.
Well, we drove both, and after fixing and driving both I just had to much fun with them to sell them and I decided to keep them and deleted the ebay add. So basically, if it weren't for the BBQ, I possibly would have already sold both whitch would have been a shame.

So, here comes the build part. These are the changes that transformed my BRCC into the Malvion 3S:

Chassis:
- T-Bone BRCC XV-6 Front Bumper
- T-Bone BRCC Wheelie Bar
- 2 round pieces of wood and 2 long screws to elongate the wheelie bar by 30mm and make it actually work
- Hot Racing Aluminium Pivot Ball Set
- RPM Typhon front & rear A-Arms
- Typhon Turnbuckles
- Typhon Wing & Wingmount
- Rubber sealed Ball bearings
- 4S slipper assembly
- Proline 2.8 LP Trenchers with 14mm Hex Inserts
- Kraton 6S shocks, limited shock travel with Carson 6x4mm Hydraulic Tube, mounted with Axial silicone shock spacers (The Typhon Shocks got pretty expensive, and I had the option to get 4 used Kraton shocks for 45€ with shipping)
- MAX8 mounting platform (milled out of 7075 aluminium ; I designed it myself, and a little friendly company milled it for me ; I can still take the motor out without removing the plate)

Electrics:
- Absima CR3P radio
- Team Corally CS-5016 servo
- Hobbywing MAX8 ESC
- TP Power 4030 3267kv motor (40x63mm)
- WTF 40mm fan, mounted with Exotec 1/8 scale V2 fan mount
- Lipos: always 3S Hardcase, mostly Arrowmax 6200mah or 7200mah

Setup:
- front diff oil: 10k cst
- rear diff oil: 15k cst
- front shock oil: 80wt
- rear shock oil: 80wt
- springs front: Kraton front
- springs rear: Kraton rear
- front shock position: outer hole
- rear shock position: outer hole
- pinion: 20 tooth

Body:
- RPM mock intake & blower, mounted to the front body posts with some longer screws
- old Body, still in use: Traxxas E-Revo Pro-Graphix, coloured in Tamiya PS-15 metallic red
- new Body: Tamiya TXT-1, coloured in Tamiya PS-18 metallic purple from the outside and Tamiya PS-41 bright silver from the inside (hope to get a similar effect when scratched up to the Notorious body)
- front body post at the rear & rear at the front to get the right heigth

You will have some pictures of the car further down.

If you've made it this far, thanks a lot for reading, I hope you enjoyed it, and feel free to post your opinion about the Malvion. Also, if you have any questions, post them down below, I will try to answer them as good as I can.

Future Plans:
- Hot Racing Sliding Motor mount, maybe gearing it up a bit if it doesn't run hot
- Muchmore 40mm fan protector
- testing the setup, tweaking it if necessary

Chassis without Body:

View attachment 121956

View attachment 121957

View attachment 121958

old body:

View attachment 121959

View attachment 121960

new body:

View attachment 121961

View attachment 121962
I'm late to the thread, but that's a very cool build! I like your detailed write-up, my write-ups aim to do that, but are more ramble-y 🤣🤣 You said at one point, that you put the Kraton 6s' electronics into the Malvion, but that'd mean the ESC, motor, Receiver, and servo...and obviously, it's still running 3s, and with a TP motor, so did you just put the Kraton servo and receiver in there?

Back