HPI-Killer's Traxxas Jato Truggy Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got everything done and mounted except the powerplant, which I will install as soon as I have my engineer friend tell me if he can CNC me a new custom head to fit the 3.3.

Heres what I am looking at now.
P1070360.jpg

P1070361.jpg

P1070362.jpg

P1070363.jpg

--------------

Then I took the bulkhead off to diagnose the steering problem, very loose male horn & gears within the servo when it turns with tires so I need to upgrade asap.

That looks SICK....i like the looks of it better not that its not a "JATO":D

^^Thanks Tmaxx :D^^

I think the next thing in order for the Jato, is some steel CVDs or MIPs if they make them for the Jato, then gear it down a little bit because I dont want the INSANE speed this thing is capable of. Other than that, this rig is just about done other than an allow bulk maybe depending on the structure (for durability)

I love wings on jatos.. not the stock wings but the ones that actually bolt to the chassis.. where did you get that one ? i still have yet to get one and I'm still stuck on witch arms i want to get aluminum or rpm but either way i just wanna drive. but i need to find someone to record me driving at my track. but I'm sure youll be able to take yours out for a drive to have some fun. until then good luck man and its looking good so far !

Jumping has a lot to do with throttle and brake control. If you're comming off nose high from the jump a little tap of the brakes will bring the nose down. If it's tail high give it some throttle to bring the nose up. It takes a little practice but it's a lot of fun learning!

+1 and its expensive learning it too...lol Still learning myself to a degree. Its a fine art there is no doubt. Yes it does take less braking to level out a nose high 4X4 than a 2WD but braking still brings my Rusty's nose down I just have to brake a tad bit harder with it.

where did you get that one ? i still have yet to get one and I'm still stuck on witch arms i want to get aluminum or rpm but either way i just wanna drive!

Its the New Era Jato Truggy Wing Mount I picked up from RCBoca.com, there is a certain wing that goes it it, but I bought the Revo wing and the hole spacing was a tad wide but the mount is easy enough to shim out to fit the wing. Also, on a Jato, I don't think I would do allow arms.
Heres the # for that mount: New Era Jato Wing Mount and Adapter Plate:NEWTJT336MT1
PS-Thanks for the comments guys :D
-----------------------------------------------

Time to get my head back onto the block and bolt it in so I can get her running, I have to figure out how to adjust the brakes because I have ZERO braking with this thing and the pad shows very little wear to it.

Anyone know ho to adjust the brakes so I have some?

......Now I can't get it started.... the bubbles withing the 8-10" of fuel line to the carb doesn't move either way, what the hell? My ignitor showsd the plug is still good, I am using nitro over a year old if that makes a differance?

try to pull the line of the pipe snd blow thru it to see if it moves, if not, could the low speed needle be closed all the way? I would definatly get more fuel, but i would think it would start and run on it just not to its full potential.

Tried pulling the line off from the carb and blowing on the stinger, I can clear it, pinch it & replace the line but when I go back to pull, it doesn't enter the engine, maybe I will check the plug... The motor holds awesome compression so I dont think I did anything wrong by pulling the head off the block. It pisses me off, I get so damn excited to bash, then it wont turn over...Grrr

Ok pulled the plug, was still good, ignitor lit it up, do I maybe have my fuel line to the carb in a pattern not jiving with gravity?
P1070365.jpg

P1070366.jpg

P1070367.jpg

Is that too much fuel line? Can I make a straight short line from tank to carb without the jungle of line?

what i did was shorten my lines... takes way to much room to have that many lines .. i made mine like this

JATO150002.jpg

just is easier in my opinion.

heres another angle
JATO150001.jpg

Nice, exactly what it will be then, I sure hope this solves the problem, i don't know what else it could be.... The old fuel was flushed out and replaced with new 20%

Was the truck running fine before ? I'm guessing the carb is clogged. Try to take the exhaust line off and blow through it to see how hard it is to blow in that line because if its really hard to or even no possible. your carb is clogged.

can you blow fuel thru the line into the carb.....if i read right you blew into the pipe?? take the line from the pipe and blow the fuel towards the carb.......if it moves you should be fine.

Actually a stupid but simple answer to my newbness, a couple drops of nitro into the carb for some help turning it 2 times, 3rd time fired right up and tuned her out. Lets just say this Jato, left roosted channels from the Badlands I have, a nice solid 15-20ft of channeled roost in my driveway, seemed like it was really running hot though cause 1/2 through tank 2 kept shutting off after a couple speed passes in the dirt.

So I think just a tad more fine tuning and I can get some pics hopefully tomorrow while the wife works.

Thanks for all the input guys this problem boggled my mind...

Glad to help....id like to see the pics of the channels in the driveway:D

Yeah dude badlands really make some deep ruts too.. i had them on my rears but i wanted a wider rear tire so i got the talons and badlands up front. really fun. but either way badlands own... and its obvious why.. considering they copied the common motocross tread witch is truely smart because that pattern just digs nice.

Also, i just noticed our stock heads are different....

How come yours has a sealed chamber while mine has the holes bored all the way through ? is that like .. different gen jatos ???

P1070366.jpg

JATO150002.jpg

can't really see in mine.. but the holes go all the way through.. i would imagine if they went all the way through it would sort of help cooling.

^^Wow thats wierd, and makes no real sense at all..^^

Okay, well, after trying to show off in front of some little kids, I broke yet another piece lol... Went WOT on a crappy ass jump and didnt use my brakes at all to bring my nose down and landed right on my wing busting it right off (or so I thought) after getting to the rid I realised the hardware stripped/busted right out of the back of the tranny case and almost blowing off my read diff plate! So now I am out of the game again (all the time) I have compiled what to replace next.

This time around I am going to an allow tranny case which is unfortunatly made my Integy, I have to go allow because the Jato is known for flipping backwards off jumps and can't chance this again.

I think at this time I am going to gear down, go single speed conversion, and the alloy case, and thank god my wing mount didnt break lol.
intc0788.jpg

-----------------

P1070369.jpg

P1070371.jpg

Yeah one speed is fun, i could post a thread on th progress when i was doing it. i took a step by step process of doing it but i missed some photos during the process.

if you get the one speed. make sure it comes with the manual because other wise it can get confusing.

Yeah one speed is fun, i could post a thread on th progress when i was doing it. i took a step by step process of doing it but i missed some photos during the process.

if you get the one speed. make sure it comes with the manual because other wise it can get confusing.

Yeah I would love a step-by-step on it, even with instructions from the manuf.

Pisses me off, spent too much time RPMing my lower end to have a piece up top bust, haha I forgot these things flip over.. :hehe:

Back