"Frankenstein Rustler" 2 speed tranny.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks factory....
I will order my parts soon, and try to do a 2 speed nitro slash.
Send us some vids of those speed runs.

Would be nice if you could put together a final list of the parts you used, tips and tricks on some parts of the build that were challenging to do....etc.

Thanks
Thank you, I was going for the stock appearance so its nice someone noticed👍 Right now I have it with the stock 54t spurgear so I can do the break in for the engine then I'm planning to change it for the 48teeth to start the speed runs. I know I will have to modify the height and trim the guard in order for it to fit but I know it's do-able.

Next day I'm off I will make a list of all the parts used to make the Project 😁👍

Can we have some more photos as well please? sides top, bottom.....etc?

Also, if not too much trouble, a photo of your clutch assembly with the spur that we both are planning to use?

Thanks!

Can we have some more photos as well please? sides top, bottom.....etc?

Also, if not too much trouble, a photo of your clutch assembly with the spur that we both are planning to use?

Thanks
20221114_160509.jpg
These are the only pics I have right now I will update as soon as I get home from work... today I did the break in of the new engine and tranny so I did it with the 54t spur gear I feel it still needs to break in a little more as I was only able to get to 43mph after the 4th tank. I will install the 48t spurgear as soon as I'm comfortable with the way the glcar is driving once I do I will post it for you 👍 also I'm fairly new with 2 speed trannies but I feel the 2nd gear is hitting too fast, how am I able to make the 1st gear a longer gear ?

20221114_160435.jpg

20221115_082710.jpg

Looks mean, I think bigger tyres would make it even better looking.
Too tiny those ones.

You can adjust the 2nd speed shift point, you are aware of this right?
Right on top of the transmission, take off the rubber dust seal, then adjust as you like.
Better yet, download Jato manual, and its all nicely explained in there.

Looks mean, I think bigger tyres would make it even better looking.
Too tiny those ones.

You can adjust the 2nd speed shift point, you are aware of this right?
Right on top of the transmission, take off the rubber dust seal, then adjust as you like.
Better yet, download Jato manual, and its all nicely explained in there.
I understand what you mean about the tires, but the 2.2 tires does not balloon once you hit 60mph and it keeps a low center gravity. So the Rustler does not pop wheelies which I see the 2 speed tranny tries to do alot with the ridiculous amount of acceleration power it has, even in 2nd gear.
It also prevents me from flipping the car over at high speeds as it's actually able to turn pretty smoothly at 45+ mph. I know it doesn't look mean with the tires but you should try them out yourself and see what I mean by it... or get vxl version of the 2.8"

And I will download the manual from traxxas today 👍

For anyone who needs to configure their gear settings :
Screenshot_20221117_184727.jpg

Glad it helped!
Thank you! 😁👍 I'm off on Thursday so I will be working on the Rustler. I'll take more in depth pictures and will compile a list of the things needed to set it up. Have you started your slash?

Thank you! 😁👍 I'm off on Thursday so I will be working on the Rustler. I'll take more in depth pictures and will compile a list of the things needed to set it up. Have you started your slash?
Funny you ask that, I did start it just yesterday.
Fired right up, and ran absolutely amazing, all I did was just 1/4 turn adjustment on HSN.
This is after almost 2 years of no use.
It really does need that 2nd speed though.

Funny you ask that, I did start it just yesterday.
Fired right up, and ran absolutely amazing, all I did was just 1/4 turn adjustment on HSN.
This is after almost 2 years of no use.
It really does need that 2nd speed though.
That's awesome to hear!
When you take good care of the car it'll last you years for sure...
I haven't been using my build since the break in of the new piston and rod because the engine seized on me again the day after and I realized the rod and piston were working smoothly but the bottom portion of the engine that rotates is stock so I just decided to buy a new engine and it arrived today! So since I'm off I'll be replacing the old engine and break in the new one 😁👍 also I will make the list of things you need to make the build sorry I haven't until now but work is always keeping me busy 🤷‍♂️
1000005390.jpg

That's awesome to hear!
When you take good care of the car it'll last you years for sure...
I haven't been using my build since the break in of the new piston and rod because the engine seized on me again the day after and I realized the rod and piston were working smoothly but the bottom portion of the engine that rotates is stock so I just decided to buy a new engine and it arrived today! So since I'm off I'll be replacing the old engine and break in the new one 😁👍 also I will make the list of things you need to make the build sorry I haven't until now but work is always keeping me busy 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 157061

I use sidewinder fuel, some motors even after months of no use looked like new, with no ARO applied.
Although I do put ARO if not using the RC for more than a week, but for some I fogot, and to my surprise they looked like new when pulled apart.
Cmon man, we need the list.... :)

I use sidewinder fuel, some motors even after months of no use looked like new, with no ARO applied.
Although I do put ARO if not using the RC for more than a week, but for some I fogot, and to my surprise they looked like new when pulled apart.
Cmon man, we need the list.... :)
Sidewinder is pretty good, I use 30% and I feel it makes my Rustler a little more jumpy with the acceleration. & the list is really just a new chassis just in case you mess up and a jato engine mount and spacer to connect the engine to the tranny correctly. Are you looking for a specific item?

Sidewinder is pretty good, I use 30% and I feel it makes my Rustler a little more jumpy with the acceleration. & the list is really just a new chassis just in case you mess up and a jato engine mount and spacer to connect the engine to the tranny correctly. Are you looking for a specific item?
Hey Jay, Why you decided to frankenstein this as opposed to just buying a JATO? Did it just to do it? I'm just curious.

Hey Jay, Why you decided to frankenstein this as opposed to just buying a JATO? Did it just to do it? I'm just curious.
Honestly I had already spent $300 to buy the Rustler and I didn't want to spend another $450 just to buy the Jato and go faster. I was already reaching 65mph with the 1 speed but my goal is 75mph and I realized the only way to reach it was to replace the tranny for a 2 speed. To summarize
buying the jato tranny is a much cheaper route than buying the whole car.

Honestly I had already spent $300 to buy the Rustler and I didn't want to spend another $450 just to buy the Jato and go faster. I was already reaching 65mph with the 1 speed but my goal is 75mph and I realized the only way to reach it was to replace the tranny for a 2 speed. To summarize
buying the jato tranny is a much cheaper route than buying the whole car.
Gotchya :)

Looks factory....
I will order my parts soon, and try to do a 2 speed nitro slash.
Send us some vids of those speed runs.

Would be nice if you could put together a final list of the parts you used, tips and tricks on some parts of the build that were challenging to do....etc.

Thanks
20221025_222015.jpg
these are all the items I used. Let me know which one you need the number for and I'll find it for you 👍

Hey

I am mostly interested in how transmission went onto the chassis, whether it needed any special parts, or it was a straight bolt on.
When doing a mod like this, you end up with a million of separate purchases, due to figuring it out as you keep doing it.
I'd like to avoid that.

Hey

I am mostly interested in how transmission went onto the chassis, whether it needed any special parts, or it was a straight bolt on.
When doing a mod like this, you end up with a million of separate purchases, due to figuring it out as you keep doing it.
I'd like to avoid that.
I see what you mean, it was straight bolted on. The chassis itself has the regular holes for the engine but because you're mounting the engine mount for the JATO instead of the rustler you will have to drill 8 new extra holes for the engine mount and tranny which I will show you the placement with a picture:
20221026_083128.jpg

The dots on the chassis were basically a draft but that's literally were the holes went. The only thing that took me time was placing the holes in the right place for the tranny to align with the holes properly. I got clear hard plastic, dotted up were the holes went on the tranny and the engine & then placed the clear plastic on top of the chassis and lined it up, dotted it and drilled the holes.

Last edited:
I see what you mean, it was straight bolted on. The chassis itself has the regular holes for the engine but because you're mounting the engine mount for the JATO instead of the rustler you will have to drill 8 new extra holes for the engine mount and tranny which I will show you the placement with a picture:
View attachment 157812
The dots on the chassis were basically a draft but that's literally were the holes went. The only thing that took me time was placing the holes in the right place for the tranny to align with the holes properly. I got clear hard plastic, dotted up were the holes went on the tranny and the engine & then placed the clear plastic on top of the chassis and lined it up, dotted it and drilled the holes.
THanks a lot Jay!

How did you the Jato tranny to clear the rear suspension arm mounts? It seems to me they will be in the way?

These
1672879388953.png

THanks a lot Jay!

How did you the Jato tranny to clear the rear suspension arm mounts? It seems to me they will be in the way?

These
View attachment 157826
No worries thats what we're here for 👍
If you line it up correctly it should not interfere at all, again the dots were rough drafts I fixed placement once I started drilling so it aligned properly.
20221101_164548.jpg

Back