Element Ecto of Doom!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got tired of waiting for a clear body to come in stock, so I've decided to try something I've never tried, but have been thinking about, so here we go.

First up I sprayed the interior of the body flat black, and the exterior steel grey, really just wanted to get some layers over the yellow and figured if steel shows through any scratches it won't look as bad as yellow peeking through.

Speaking of peaking through, this is the next step. Coating the body with a base coat of rust before I give it a top coat. Been wanting to give this a try, we will see how it goes.

Beginning the first coat of medium rust.

PSX_20220601_160447.jpg

Finally got tired of waiting for a clear body to come in stock, so I've decided to try something I've never tried, but have been thinking about, so here we go.

First up I sprayed the interior of the body flat black, and the exterior steel grey, really just wanted to get some layers over the yellow and figured if steel shows through any scratches it won't look as bad as yellow peeking through.

Speaking of peaking through, this is the next step. Coating the body with a base coat of rust before I give it a top coat. Been wanting to give this a try, we will see how it goes.

Beginning the first coat of medium rust.

View attachment 147482
Nice! Are you gonna do the salt trick?

Got body color number two on today, still needs some weathering and detail work. I colored the door handles with a silver Sharpie. :)
PSX_20220704_182642.jpg

PSX_20220704_182519.jpg

PSX_20220704_182325.jpg

It was nice to have an extra day this weekend, I feel like it's been forever since I got some hobby time in.

That is going to look pretty dang cool man.

Thank you. I learned some stuff on this, it's not quite the overall effect I was going for and I know what to do different next time, but for a first try with the salt method I am happy with it. :thumbs-up:

Got to do some puttering today. A bunch of fine tuning after watching a bunch of you tube vids. There are quite a few free mods for improving performance. First up was moving the upper shock position to help lower the chassis cg.

Moved front shocks to upper attachment point .
PSX_20220709_155347.jpg

Rear shock positions, had to flip the mount 180° so the three holes were to the left instead of the right, and then attached the shocks to the upper inside holes.
PSX_20220709_154514.jpg

After adjusting the shock positions, the panhard rod position needed to be moved up one position to keep from hitting. The pumpkin.
PSX_20220709_155213.jpg

Also moved the lower shock position over one spot on the trailing arms.
PSX_20220709_155044.jpg

Rerouted the motor wiring under the battery tray, to clean it up a bit.
PSX_20220709_154839.jpg

Trimmed 10mm off the front of the frame with my dremel to tuck the bumper behind the leading edge of the tires for better approach clearance. Wish I could have taken a pic of the process, the sparks were awesome! :D
PSX_20220709_154123.jpg

Installed the home made grill into the body.
PSX_20220709_154305.jpg

From here I am waiting on some more parts, while I wait, I still have some more weathering to do.

Next up, interior. I didn't do anything fancy on the interior, but I don't like to have an empty shell either. Since I didn't think dark tinted windows would go with the beat up farm truck look, I had to put something in there. I read the Element Gate keeper interior works with some modifications, so I gave it a try. Of course the gatekeeper interior has drivers with helmets, once again, didn't quite fit the theme, so I picked up some Axial driver heads. It all looks good if you don't look to closely. Just didn't want to spend the time getting too detailed in there. Anyhow, here is a photo with the interior in place..

PSX_20220716_144154.jpg

Still more work to do, but it's getting there. :)

Last edited:
Back