Dumbest RC related thing you have ever done?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a new one to add to this. I was drilling a new SCT body for my Arrma 3S hybrid project, on the nearly new $1500 granite counter top at my parents, and cracked the very corner of the counter when the bit caught it. Luckily, the guy who did the counter was able to fix it somehow, but it cost me $150. Now, I'm not allowed in their house with any kind of power tools. I also finally got a chance to run my Arrma hybrid today, only to learn i used the wrong nuts on the new Vorteks front wheels. Luckily, i found the wheels, but unluckily, one of them the hex cracked. They barely made it 100 feet.
Oh, cool! In that case, you could use rubbing alcohol, that might be easier. I'll keep that trick in mind, for when I really glue my fingers together!

Ooo man! Yep, cold weather makes plastic more brittle! I bet the guy just couldn't wait to run it...probably not the best idea though!
I learned the hard way that impatience, cold, and plastic never mix. I have broken many plastic parts over the years because i was in a hurry to try out a new vehicle, even when its super cold out. The lowest temp i have ever ran a RC vehicle (Arrma Fury) in was 8 degrees F, in a snowsuit. The front arms and bulkhead pretty much exploded landing off a jump. Recently, i destroyed both front arms and the links on my Arrma hybrid in 30 degree weather at a concrete skate park. The video is on my Youtube channel.

I have a new one to add to this. I was drilling a new SCT body for my Arrma 3S hybrid project, on the nearly new $1500 granite counter top at my parents, and cracked the very corner of the counter when the bit caught it. Luckily, the guy who did the counter was able to fix it somehow, but it cost me $150. Now, I'm not allowed in their house with any kind of power tools. I also finally got a chance to run my Arrma hybrid today, only to learn i used the wrong nuts on the new Vorteks front wheels. Luckily, i found the wheels, but unluckily, one of them the hex cracked. They barely made it 100 feet.

I learned the hard way that impatience, cold, and plastic never mix. I have broken many plastic parts over the years because i was in a hurry to try out a new vehicle, even when its super cold out. The lowest temp i have ever ran a RC vehicle (Arrma Fury) in was 8 degrees F, in a snowsuit. The front arms and bulkhead pretty much exploded landing off a jump. Recently, i destroyed both front arms and the links on my Arrma hybrid in 30 degree weather at a concrete skate park. The video is on my Youtube channel.
Uh oh! Parents don't loose their power, even after you move out! 🤣🤣 I try to use a piece of carboard or my repurposed metal plate/mat thing when drilling. I have accidentally drilled a little bit into stuff before though, but not like you!

Here in Washington, it gets near 0 degrees sometimes in Winter, or even slightly below. I ran my 1/16 scale MT yesterday at a school parking lot, with speed bumps. First time every hitting a "jump" with friction shocks, really bad! It's super bouncy, and every single time I go over the speed bump, it does at least one flip, always a forward flip. I tried hitting it at low speed, then giving it full power in mid-air to combat the bucking, to no avail! Gonna have to do something about those shocks, I've been thinking about filling them with grease until I get proper oil-filled shocks. I had some smaller crashes, but the truck is SUPER durable, I've heard people say it's nearly imortale, due to the high quality, flexible plastic they use. My truck is the SG 1601 brushed, which is a rebranded HBX 166889.

But isn't the Fury discontinued? How'd you get parts for it? I gotta check out your Arrma hybrid, how does it get it's name? It is a mix of different Arrma parts?

Uh oh! Parents don't loose their power, even after you move out! 🤣🤣 I try to use a piece of carboard or my repurposed metal plate/mat thing when drilling. I have accidentally drilled a little bit into stuff before though, but not like you!

Here in Washington, it gets near 0 degrees sometimes in Winter, or even slightly below. I ran my 1/16 scale MT yesterday at a school parking lot, with speed bumps. First time every hitting a "jump" with friction shocks, really bad! It's super bouncy, and every single time I go over the speed bump, it does at least one flip, always a forward flip. I tried hitting it at low speed, then giving it full power in mid-air to combat the bucking, to no avail! Gonna have to do something about those shocks, I've been thinking about filling them with grease until I get proper oil-filled shocks. I had some smaller crashes, but the truck is SUPER durable, I've heard people say it's nearly imortale, due to the high quality, flexible plastic they use. My truck is the SG 1601 brushed, which is a rebranded HBX 166889.

But isn't the Fury discontinued? How'd you get parts for it? I gotta check out your Arrma hybrid, how does it get it's name? It is a mix of different Arrma parts?

Drilling my parents counter is, honestly, minor compared to some of the dumb, i didnt think and was in a hurry, or just didnt think in general, stuff i have done at their house, like, trying to jump bicycles off the garage roof, going through the roof, and landing on my dads freshly painted dirt track car. The Fury has been discontinued for awhile now, but, knowing it was going to happen, i stocked up on parts for it, and parts are still plentiful on eBay for it actually. I have two of them, one a V1 i bought new the week it came out, and one i bought used a few years back. The only thing not available for it is the rear diff, but, the MIP HPI Blitz diff fits with a bit of shimming, and they are still easily had. This is my Arrma 3S hybrid project: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/3s-mega-hybrid-build.48405/#post-682354 It is a mix of parts across the Arrma 3S line (Granite, Senton, Typhon, BRCC). Here, we have had 0 and below zero most days for the last 2 weeks. It warmed up yesterday and today, and is supposed to be near 40 tomorrow, and then 15 and snowing Thursday and Friday.

Drilling my parents counter is, honestly, minor compared to some of the dumb, i didnt think and was in a hurry, or just didnt think in general, stuff i have done at their house, like, trying to jump bicycles off the garage roof, going through the roof, and landing on my dads freshly painted dirt track car. The Fury has been discontinued for awhile now, but, knowing it was going to happen, i stocked up on parts for it, and parts are still plentiful on eBay for it actually. I have two of them, one a V1 i bought new the week it came out, and one i bought used a few years back. The only thing not available for it is the rear diff, but, the MIP HPI Blitz diff fits with a bit of shimming, and they are still easily had. This is my Arrma 3S hybrid project: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/3s-mega-hybrid-build.48405/#post-682354 It is a mix of parts across the Arrma 3S line (Granite, Senton, Typhon, BRCC). Here, we have had 0 and below zero most days for the last 2 weeks. It warmed up yesterday and today, and is supposed to be near 40 tomorrow, and then 15 and snowing Thursday and Friday.
Lol! I've had some of my own stupid moments too! I MTB (mountain bike), and have hit some sketchy ramps/contraptions with my neighbor in his yard before, but nothing that extreme! I dearly hope there was a landing on the driveway, and you weren't gonna just "huck it" to flat? So you were gonna jump off the garage roof, but the roof broke under your weight, and you went though the roof, onto your dad's freshly painted car? That must've been a really bad moment...I bet you had some "interesting" conversations with your parents! Still, really dumb, if you don't me saying so!

Oh, good, since a lot of the time, discontinued cars are an absolute pain to source parts for, so I've heard. Make sure to keep your stockpile of parts topped off, since there will be a day when those Ebay listing will go away!

Didn't @Edough13 make an Arrma hybrid/mix too, I think of the 6s line of cars? I really don't remember, but someone did something like that. That's some temperature fluctutation there! Do you have any smaller RCs (like and SXC24) to run indoors?

Lol! I've had some of my own stupid moments too! I MTB (mountain bike), and have hit some sketchy ramps/contraptions with my neighbor in his yard before, but nothing that extreme! I dearly hope there was a landing on the driveway, and you weren't gonna just "huck it" to flat? So you were gonna jump off the garage roof, but the roof broke under your weight, and you went though the roof, onto your dad's freshly painted car? That must've been a really bad moment...I bet you had some "interesting" conversations with your parents! Still, really dumb, if you don't me saying so!
I freely admit that i did some really dumb stuff growing up, especially in my teen years, but, thankfully, I've outgrown most of it.

Oh, good, since a lot of the time, discontinued cars are an absolute pain to source parts for, so I've heard. Make sure to keep your stockpile of parts topped off, since there will be a day when those Ebay listing will go away!
I have several vintage and discontinued vehicles, and, sometimes, sourcing parts is at best a minor hunt, and, at worst, turns into a, it will never be fixed, disaster. My Racers Edge Pro2 is one of those, and so is my Futaba FX10.

Didn't @Edough13 make an Arrma hybrid/mix too, I think of the 6s line of cars? I really don't remember, but someone did something like that. That's some temperature fluctutation there! Do you have any smaller RCs (like and SXC24) to run indoors?
I'm not sure if Edough did something like that, honestly. As for the temps here, as we around here say, welcome to N.Y., a place where you can wear sweatpants and a winter coat in the morning, shorts and a sweatshirt around noon, jeans and a light coat in the afternoon, and a snowsuit in the evening, or, we have 4 seasons, spring, summer, fall, and winter, and some days, you can experience all 4 seasons in the same day.

I freely admit that i did some really dumb stuff growing up, especially in my teen years, but, thankfully, I've outgrown most of it.

I have several vintage and discontinued vehicles, and, sometimes, sourcing parts is at best a minor hunt, and, at worst, turns into a, it will never be fixed, disaster. My Racers Edge Pro2 is one of those, and so is my Futaba FX10.

I'm not sure if Edough did something like that, honestly. As for the temps here, as we around here say, welcome to N.Y., a place where you can wear sweatpants and a winter coat in the morning, shorts and a sweatshirt around noon, jeans and a light coat in the afternoon, and a snowsuit in the evening, or, we have 4 seasons, spring, summer, fall, and winter, and some days, you can experience all 4 seasons in the same day.
We'll try to keep an eye out for any of those two models for sale, this way perhaps you can get them for parts.

As I said, I really can't remember who did it, I read that thread like 10 months ago! At least this way you guys won't ever miss a season too badly, cause you get a little taste of each one ever day! 🤣🤣

We'll try to keep an eye out for any of those two models for sale, this way perhaps you can get them for parts.

As I said, I really can't remember who did it, I read that thread like 10 months ago! At least this way you guys won't ever miss a season too badly, cause you get a little taste of each one ever day! 🤣🤣
The Fury i am always keeping an eye out for parts and trucks (the original 2WD Raider, Mojave, Granite and Fury) all share parts between them. Any of the older 2WD Arrma stuff with this chassis:

ArrmaFuryBLX-3.jpg

F3ZGW3BMCJD9JD8JQVGEABN6TG6XA4U3XPZZF2JJ32W9A6Z82D.jpg
with or without the metal side plates, is basically the same vehicle. As foir the Racers Edge, that one i ended up using for parts for an Associated SC10, and the Futaba FX10 is somewhere in my shed in a box. I see the FX10 on eBay once in awhile, but they are always asking ridiculous money for them.

The Fury i am always keeping an eye out for parts and trucks (the original 2WD Raider, Mojave, Granite and Fury) all share parts between them. Any of the older 2WD Arrma stuff with this chassis:

View attachment 141362
View attachment 141363with or without the metal side plates, is basically the same vehicle. As foir the Racers Edge, that one i ended up using for parts for an Associated SC10, and the Futaba FX10 is somewhere in my shed in a box. I see the FX10 on eBay once in awhile, but they are always asking ridiculous money for them.
These older Arrmas are quite interesting, when I came into RC a couple of years ago, Arrma was going strong with their current cars, so I have seen little about these earlier cars. Interesting that the Fury uses a Deans connector, that must've been way before Arrma paired up with Spektrum. They also retain a chassis similar to that of the Arrma Granite, the long, thin, block like style chassis. I'd expect with these older cars you'd need to use some parts from other vehicles like what you did, and perhaps fabricate some parts, like battery tray holders.

These older Arrmas are quite interesting, when I came into RC a couple of years ago, Arrma was going strong with their current cars, so I have seen little about these earlier cars. Interesting that the Fury uses a Deans connector, that must've been way before Arrma paired up with Spektrum. They also retain a chassis similar to that of the Arrma Granite, the long, thin, block like style chassis. I'd expect with these older cars you'd need to use some parts from other vehicles like what you did, and perhaps fabricate some parts, like battery tray holders.
Actually, other than the ball diff from the Blitz, literally every other part, from the smallest, up to and including the complete chassis, and even the aluminum side plates, in at least 2 different colors, are still available. Even though that design was discontinued here in the states, it was still available new in Australia and parts of Europe at late as October of last year. Even Tower and Amain carry parts still for some of the 2WD Arrma stuff, like the Raider XL, which is the Fury with a buggy body and wheels and tires.

I think your thinking of @Jimbobjr that did a Arrma/Corally build with some parts he custom made also. I built a 1/10 scale Mojave but all with Arrma parts. Temps definitely fluctuate a lot here in Nor Cal especially during winter. Unfortunately I've just got the 1/10 RGT crawler but I can still cruise it around inside as I've got a big house. Has been nice lately just cold so have been able to bash a little here and there just no big sends with my jumping rigs as I don't want to snap parts in the 30-40° temps.

I think your thinking of @Jimbobjr that did a Arrma/Corally build with some parts he custom made also. I built a 1/10 scale Mojave but all with Arrma parts. Temps definitely fluctuate a lot here in Nor Cal especially during winter. Unfortunately I've just got the 1/10 RGT crawler but I can still cruise it around inside as I've got a big house. Has been nice lately just cold so have been able to bash a little here and there just no big sends with my jumping rigs as I don't want to snap parts in the 30-40° temps.
No, not him, the build thread I read was of a, I want to say, Arrma 6s "mashup". It had a Typhon 6s body on it at the time IIRC. Frankly, I don't have the time to sift through possibly hundreds of Arrma 6s related posts! But doesn't Arrma only make the 1/17 scale 6s BLX Mojave and the EXB roller? Apparently Arrma made a 1/10 scale 2wd Mojave back in 2013? Did you use another 1/10 scale Arrma platform and source the discontinued 1/10 Mojave body for it?

We drove through northern Cali on our trip to southern Cali (we started on Christmas, 2021, for 8 days), and I think the weather was ok there, not as cold as Washington, but not warm by any means! I don't bash very hard, all year round. My rigs have a much easier, less abusive life than other rigs! I think I might know the RGT crawler you're talking about, or perhaps it's another one.

No, not him, the build thread I read was of a, I want to say, Arrma 6s "mashup". It had a Typhon 6s body on it at the time IIRC. Frankly, I don't have the time to sift through possibly hundreds of Arrma 6s related posts! But doesn't Arrma only make the 1/17 scale 6s BLX Mojave and the EXB roller? Apparently Arrma made a 1/10 scale 2wd Mojave back in 2013? Did you use another 1/10 scale Arrma platform and source the discontinued 1/10 Mojave body for it?

We drove through northern Cali on our trip to southern Cali (we started on Christmas, 2021, for 8 days), and I think the weather was ok there, not as cold as Washington, but not warm by any means! I don't bash very hard, all year round. My rigs have a much easier, less abusive life than other rigs! I think I might know the RGT crawler you're talking about, or perhaps it's another one.
Arrma now only makes the 1/7TH Scale Mojave 4X4, but, they used to make a Mojave that was basically a twin to the Fury with a different paint scheme. It had the same LWB 2WD Fury/Raider chassis. The Mojave/Raider XL and Fury were on a LWB chassis, and the original Raider/Vorteks and Granite were on the SWB chassis, but everything else was pretty much the same once you took the body and wheels and tires off, much like how Arrma's current Mega and 3S line are.

The original Fury Mega:
maxresdefault.jpg

The Original Mojave 2WD Mega:

Mojave.jpg

Notice, the body and the wheels and tires are different. They were literally the only differences between the two.

The Original Raider (they also made a LWB version called the Raider XL):
Arrma-Raider-Mega-Hop-Up-27.jpg

The original Arrma Vorteks:

ARRMA-Vorteks-Mega.jpg

The original 2WD Granite:
ARRMA-Granite-Mega-Monster-Truck-Review-2.jpg

Personally, i wish Arrma would come back out with a line of 2WD vehicles Like the Fury/Raider/Mojave/Granite.

Arrma now only makes the 1/7TH Scale Mojave 4X4, but, they used to make a Mojave that was basically a twin to the Fury with a different paint scheme. It had the same LWB 2WD Fury/Raider chassis. The Mojave/Raider XL and Fury were on a LWB chassis, and the original Raider/Vorteks and Granite were on the SWB chassis, but everything else was pretty much the same once you took the body and wheels and tires off, much like how Arrma's current Mega and 3S line are.

The original Fury Mega:
View attachment 141366

The Original Mojave 2WD Mega:

View attachment 141367

Notice, the body and the wheels and tires are different. They were literally the only differences between the two.

The Original Raider (they also made a LWB version called the Raider XL):
View attachment 141369
The original Arrma Vorteks:

View attachment 141368
The original 2WD Granite:
View attachment 141370

Personally, i wish Arrma would come back out with a line of 2WD vehicles Like the Fury/Raider/Mojave/Granite.
Thanks for the info! Frankly, like I said, this look at Arrma's history is quite interesting! Also cool how those some of names now mean completely different cars, like the old Vorteks, and the new Vorteks, and the old vs. new Mojave!

I had one of the old 2wd Vorteks, stock that was pretty crap. After first 5 min of very light bashing it was already broken, it brokes several times until a lot of parts were upgraded - then it became pretty durable but still hard to control. It ended up being replaced by a Traxxas Rustler 2wd which stock is much more durable and drives better. But that Vorteks had a special way of "floating" over uneven gravel - I miss that :cry: . Here is one of my oldest videos where it is upgraded:

I had one of the old 2wd Vorteks, stock that was pretty crap. After first 5 min of very light bashing it was already broken, it brokes several times until a lot of parts were upgraded - then it became pretty durable but still hard to control. It ended up being replaced by a Traxxas Rustler 2wd which stock is much more durable and drives better. But that Vorteks had a special way of "floating" over uneven gravel - I miss that :cry: . Here is one of my oldest videos where it is upgraded:
Guess the old "Arrma tough" wasn't as tough as the new "Arrma tough"! Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't those 1/10 scale 2wd brushed cars one of Arrma's very first cars?

Perhaps the Vorteks just had better than average shocks/suspension geometry, paired with the fact it's probably lighter than some other cars?

I have heard that before. It always seemed the old 2WD Arrma were hit or miss. I have had a total of 6 of them, 3 Fury's, 2 Raider XL's and a Granite, and i never seemed to have any real issues with them, except for the diffs, so i switched them all to ball diff's. However, i have seen a few of them get destroyed on mild bash sessions. The one Big Squid reviewed in their 2WD MT review came out ahead of the ECX Ruckus and Traxxas Stampede, and they named it their 2013 MT of the year.

If you can't tell, my Fury is still, after all this time, my favorite truck. I have a post on here with all my current running stuff: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/my-oddball-collection-of-currently-running-rc-vehicles.133409/ and my Fury is listed first ahead of all my newer stuff.

Last edited:

Yes the Mojave is a 1/7 scale and prior to it Arrma had the 6s Senton which was a 1/10 scale SCT. I used a SWB 6s Typhon chassis for the build and a mix of other models parts to make a mini Mojave or close to Senton 6s. Here's the build thread for it https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/spare-parts-build-swb-mojave-rally-car.41185/
And yes the RGT I have is the newer updated version of the one linked above with a handful of upgrades, build here https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/first-crawler-build.131893/

Yes the Mojave is a 1/7 scale and prior to it Arrma had the 6s Senton which was a 1/10 scale SCT. I used a SWB 6s Typhon chassis for the build and a mix of other models parts to make a mini Mojave or close to Senton 6s. Here's the build thread for it https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/spare-parts-build-swb-mojave-rally-car.41185/
And yes the RGT I have is the newer updated version of the one linked above with a handful of upgrades, build here https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/first-crawler-build.131893/
6s 1/10 Senton? Sounds insane, you'd have like twice the cell-count of anybody else at a "normal" SCT race! Oh, ok, cool! :)

Some of the dumbest I had were with an HPI 5B SS.

1st thing was as I was building it. I was having a hard time getting the big king pin ball ends to pop together, so I was going to drill a hole through a piece of wood, stick the ball end over it, then have enough gap below it to squeeze the ball into the ball end with a c-clamp or something. I was holding onto the piece of wood in my hand while drilling... thing was, I was using a brand new 12V lithium drill at the time. One of my workers bought it for me for Christmas after helping him setup his new TV/bose system in his house. It spun WAAAY faster and with way more torque than I was expecting. Ripped through the 3/4" piece of wood in a couple seconds and then went into my finger. One of the downsides starting a multi-hour build at 8pm, it was 2am at the point I was using the drill... my judgement wasn't at an all time high by then...
2012-0114-CutFinger.jpg

Nothing like sitting in the ER at 3am like a fool. Luckily didn't cut the tendons, just chipped the bone and ended up with 8 or 9 stitches that took forever to heal.

2nd thing was a week later, I was out breaking the engine in. It was winter, January, snow on the ground and I was on wet blacktop nearing the end of the first tank and it was really getting up to speed nicely. I came flying at WOT at myself on the wet blacktop, with a heavy 1/5th scale 2wd rig with only rear brakes... it did not stop until it bounced up off my steel toe boot (lucky I had those on) and it peeled 5 inches of skin up the front of my shin and tearing my jeans. I got home with blood all over my leg looking like I hit it with a chain saw and my wife was like "Maybe you should get rid of that truck...".

3rd thing was, I bought a 2wd 1/5th scale to run in the colder/snowy months because it would be less fussy to tune in the winter than my nitro trucks. Didn't sink in until I drove it the first time, in the cold/snow/wet that it only had an inch or so of ground clearance, was only rwd and was super heavy. Basically means it gets stuck easier than my 2wd nitro jato, which was totally useless in the winter.

4th thing, I didn't take the smell of pump gas into account. I live in an apartment. All my trucks are in my office. After running a weed wacker, go set it on your dining room table and see how long it takes your wife to complain about the smell. She's also very prone to migraines... and the smell of gas throughout the house for 2-3 days at a time each time I ran it would trigger them.

Over the 2 years I owned it, I drove it 8-10 times. I had put $300+ of upgrades on it, so was near $2k when I sold it for $600. $1400/8=$175. So, not including the hospital bills, it cost me $140-$175 for each time I drove it.

Kind of glad I tried it... really glad it's gone... was quite a machine though.
2011-0902-Baja-ScorpionShortyHDFrontShockTower01.jpg

Out practicing with Losi 22s yesterday and didn’t see the frozen ice in parking lot. Hit running pretty fast and cracked the upgraded splitter. That’s it. I was lucky!

Today while running my SR10 with my grandson hit frozen ice again straight on, went airborne a good two feet landed on all fours, no damage. I’m pushing my luck, time to take a break.

Back