Dumbest RC related thing you have ever done?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never bump the throttle with your elbow when you are working on your rc plane in the living room, fortunately I was hanging on to it at the time, unfortunately the prop whacked my shin a few good ones before I could shut it off. Mrs. Doom just asked "Do I want to know?" 🤣 It did smart a bit, and some blood and tissue, fortunately not a lot of meat on your shin.

* Pro Tip - take the prop off when working on your plane indoors. 👍
Oof, I can imagine the pain! But shouldn't the plane and controller be off, and the plane unplugged from the battery? Or were you testing out a servo or something? Well, I guess you've learned the lesson now, we all learn stuff the hard way sometimes! When I work on my 2 cars, I have the car off and disconnected from the batt. I've heard that when wrenching on larger scale rigs, espeacially if you're replacing a motor or ESC (or both) or something like that, it's a good idea to take off the wheels! I use my own homemade car stands, and take precautions, so that doesn't happen. Ok, fine, a 1.5 years ago, when I was replacing all the electrics except the brushed motor in my Wltoys 144001 (long story about that electric swap), I was doing it on the dining table, I didn't have a car stand then, and I was a total noob, as in, couldn't calibrate the ESC (turns out you just needed to plug it in, wait 3 seconds for the calibration beep, and done lol!)! I was trying to get everything set up, and made some mistakes, which had the car rev at full power. Luckily I had the sense to put the buggy on the Hobbywing ESC box! I only have surface RCs, no arial ones, except for a cheap, mini Holystone drone that I rarely use! You can't really wrench on it though.
I've seen some horrific pictures of prop damage to people's arms. I can view images like that and not be too bad. But some of the images I saw with internal parts of someone's arm hanging out of the gaping wounds just shouldn't be on the web. So when I was into drones, I never once worked on them with the props on. Heck, I was scared just plugging the batteries in. It's even worse than sticking your hand in a table saw.

I did however have deep scars on my arm for many years from the spikes on the tires of my first RC buggy 😜
Mama mia! That's...horrific! I don't like pictures of body carnage either!

I believe I know what happened in that incident, I think you shared the full details before! Thanks to that story, I'm now more cautious about those spinning tires! I usually carry my cars by the rear shock tower, wing, or rear bumper, whichever is one the rig that I'm holding. The thottle can get bumped by stuff in transportation, or as you're setting it down, so always have at least the car turned off!
I use DEAN'S a lot. To give me a better grip, I use. a door of hot melt adhesive and the neon bright extra string string builders and gardeners use when they need a straight line. Begin by applying a drop of the hit melt then press the builders string into the adhesive. After cooking a bit, weave the string through and around the soldered connectors on the backside of the DEAN'S PLUG. Keep alternating string and electrically insulating hot melt adhesive. This builds up on the back of the plug to make for a better grip. Will attach a photo of this tip soon in another post.

Sorry for dual posts, did not have a PIX of my hot melt and string DEAN'S mod; here it is
Oh, cool! So you basically adhere and build up with the string and hot melt an extension/hand hold on the back of the deans connector? Some deans have little ridges on the connector for more grip. The dual post is fine, you can make it into a single post by editing the post, then just highlight and delete the second "quote" of my post, making it into a single reply. Deans are a very popular choice in medium to small scale RCs!

Last edited:
Oof, I can imagine the pain! But shouldn't the plane and controller be off, and the plane unplugged from the battery? Or were you testing out a servo or something?
I was centering a servo at the time, the bad thing is I was just being lazy and left the prop on, only takes one reminder though! 🤣

Yeah, lol! I've heard that with those big scale, fast heli's, it's highly recommended that you only fly with a buddy, for safety reasons!
The big heli's make me nervous, I watched one chop through a stop sign like it was butter. I don't want to be around if a rotor separates. Seen some nasty photos of folks hit with props and rotors.

If I ever get a heli or plane, it's going to be a micro just to be safe. Props exploding does not seem fun!

My FIRST BIG DUMB MISTAKE. Back in the day, I flew a BIG GUFF replica ONE CHANNEL tube transmitter and one tube in the plane's receiver. This was an oooold set-up with no servos. The control actuator was an electromagnetic ESCAPEMENT that got its' control force from a wound up rubber band. DUMB BUNNY ME, I forgot to wind up the escapement and my BIG GUFF just merrily flew away never to be seen again ! Have a second one of these planes; will post PIX one of these days

Having around $600 into a damn converted Duratrax Quake and handing my old rc buddy the remote. Even after i repeatedly said this is not like our old brushed mod motors Do NOT pull the trigger more than half... Yup. Cartwheels for a few minutes down a banked cliff..

The big heli's make me nervous, I watched one chop through a stop sign like it was butter. I don't want to be around if a rotor separates. Seen some nasty photos of folks hit with props and rotors.
Holy cow, a metal stop sign?! 😮😮 That's scary! I don't see myself venturing away from surface RCs anytime soon, I just prefer cars/trucks!
Having around $600 into a damn converted Duratrax Quake and handing my old rc buddy the remote. Even after i repeatedly said this is not like our old brushed mod motors Do NOT pull the trigger more than half... Yup. Cartwheels for a few minutes down a banked cliff..
Oof, dang! Didn't you limit the throttle to like 50%? I'm always hesitent to hand over the the radio to anybody else! I take care of my rigs, and I spend a lot of time wrenching and working on them, adjusting stuff, ect. so I'm a bit wary! I always secretly limit the throttle when other people rive my rigs, and I make sure there aren't lots of parked cars, trees, ect. to run into!
My FIRST BIG DUMB MISTAKE. Back in the day, I flew a BIG GUFF replica ONE CHANNEL tube transmitter and one tube in the plane's receiver. This was an oooold set-up with no servos. The control actuator was an electromagnetic ESCAPEMENT that got its' control force from a wound up rubber band. DUMB BUNNY ME, I forgot to wind up the escapement and my BIG GUFF just merrily flew away never to be seen again ! Have a second one of these planes; will post PIX one of these days
Ooo that must've been a real bad moment! Good thing tech has evolved so much...

Last edited:
My biggest mistake was when I first got into this hobby and started out with cheap HBX and Xinglehong cars, and spent way too many money on repairing and upgrading them. It was much cheaper to just buy a quality car. I do buy cheap WLToys cars now, they are much better quality but I never upgrade them.

Ohh, I once got a stone in the steering of my Slash so the wheels were locked in left position, it was getting dark so I couldn't see where the stone was stuck so I carried it home for fixing. When I came home I realized that the car and remote were still on so the servo had tried to do the best aligning the wheels for 5 minutes and was fried :rolleyes:

The biggest RC mistake I ever made was buying an RC vehicle and getting into racing it. Now I'm addicted and broke.
I stripped the stock servo on my Wltoys 144001, after much research (I was a complete noob), I upgraded all the electrics except for the stock brushed motor. A stock electric system, an upgraded brushed system, and a brushless system later (current), here I am! Also another car later! I'm probably still gonna do one "final" electric swap, to a slightly bigger brushless motor. When I do, my 1/16 MT (my second, recent addition) will get the current brushless ESC and motor that's in my buggy. Gosh, I can't believe that my buggy is on it's 3rd set of electrics (actually the brushless and brushed system shared the same servo and RX/TX)!

I try to make smart, cost effective upgrades...it's hard, but I'm doing it (I'm also approaching a total of $150 in upgrades!)!

Just recently I accidentally superglued my gears together .
Whoopsie! How'd that happen? You mean the pinion and spur, or diff gears, or the diff crown and diff pinion? Normally super glue shouldn't be near gears...try some super glue remover (dunno how effective that stuff is, but I know it will at least de-bond glued skin), or you could try an abrasive solvent, just don't ruin your gears. If they are really stuck together, best be getting a new set of gears!

Whoopsie! How'd that happen? You mean the pinion and spur, or diff gears, or the diff crown and diff pinion? Normally super glue shouldn't be near gears...try some super glue remover (dunno how effective that stuff is, but I know it will at least de-bond glued skin), or you could try an abrasive solvent, just don't ruin your gears. If they are really stuck together, best be getting a new set of gears!

Pinion and spur. I put hand sanitiser on and it spins again only problem is I still can't move the motor but I'm sure I'll find a way to let in move again. The pinion gear was moving back and forwards and I was meant to just to put a bit in the screw bit which was still a stupid idea but the glue was really runny and it was leaking so yeh I did that 😔.

Pinion and spur. I put hand sanitiser on and it spins again only problem is I still can't move the motor but I'm sure I'll find a way to let in move again. The pinion gear was moving back and forwards and I was meant to just to put a bit in the screw bit which was still a stupid idea but the glue was really runny and it was leaking so yeh I did that 😔.
You might've gotten glue on the shaft and/or bearing. Use blue Loc-tite next time.

Hand sanitizer? Interesting! The drivetrain might be binded up, and just pray that no glue got into the motor! As @pug said, use some blue Loctite, the 242 stuff I believe. That's what I have, works great! You can read some articles about how Loctite/thread locker works, I'm not going to bore you! It's not too badly priced either, just less than $6 for a blue tube of the stuff, and you only need a very small drop each time you use it, depending on the screw size. Loctite is a very popular thread locker brand for a reason!

Hand sanitizer? Interesting! The drivetrain might be binded up, and just pray that no glue got into the motor! As @pug said, use some blue Loctite, the 242 stuff I believe. That's what I have, works great! You can read some articles about how Loctite/thread locker works, I'm not going to bore you! It's not too badly priced either, just less than $6 for a blue tube of the stuff, and you only need a very small drop each time you use it, depending on the screw size. Loctite is a very popular thread locker brand for a reason!
I used hand sanitiser because alcohol dissolves super glue.

Letting a newbie driver drive his new 4x4 at 30mph on Christmas morning when it was 0 degrees. Plastic pieces were flying everywhere. :cry: I never did get that truck running back to 100%.

I used hand sanitiser because alcohol dissolves super glue.
Oh, cool! In that case, you could use rubbing alcohol, that might be easier. I'll keep that trick in mind, for when I really glue my fingers together!
Letting a newbie driver drive his new 4x4 at 30mph on Christmas morning when it was 0 degrees. Plastic pieces were flying everywhere. :cry: I never did get that truck running back to 100%.
Ooo man! Yep, cold weather makes plastic more brittle! I bet the guy just couldn't wait to run it...probably not the best idea though!

Back