Dumbest RC related thing you have ever done?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I just remembered a good one. During the summer some kids broke into our school and did over $100,000 in damages on two different occasions. They destroyed the highschool gym floor/basketball court. The school put the most beautiful floor in to replace it.

A few months into that school year I took my buggy to school with me to make something in machine shop for it. Before school I decided to do some speed runs on the gym floor. Donuts might have been the highlight of the run.

During gym that day, while doing our warm-up pushups I see these black streaks EVERYWHERE from the pins on the tires!
View attachment 129140
Luckily they scuffed off with my sneakers. So I spent most of the class doing the shuffle.
🤣😂🤣😂 oh man. And that's just wrong on the person thT destroyed to the floor in the first place

Mine is building mine no one will understand.

My 🧠 is little off the wall. I don’t think like most people

But hey I’m a nice guy 😁

The dumbest thing for me that I can think of is this one. I went on a vacation trip and took my Savage to mess around with because I knew I would have some time to myself. I load up the truck, radio/bag and tool bag with everything I normally use plus some spare parts, fuel and battery charger. When the time arrived I headed out to a spot to run the truck. A few people were there and saw what I was getting out so they came over to watch and ask a few questions. I proceeded to check over the truck for loose screws, tested the electronics/ transmitter and then fueled it up, plugged the exhaust and spun the motor to prime the carb. Then came a mountain of embarrassment! I did not pack a glow plug igniter so I had no way to start it up.

Oh, I just remembered a good one. During the summer some kids broke into our school and did over $100,000 in damages on two different occasions. They destroyed the highschool gym floor/basketball court. The school put the most beautiful floor in to replace it.

A few months into that school year I took my buggy to school with me to make something in machine shop for it. Before school I decided to do some speed runs on the gym floor. Donuts might have been the highlight of the run.

During gym that day, while doing our warm-up pushups I see these black streaks EVERYWHERE from the pins on the tires!
View attachment 129140
Luckily they scuffed off with my sneakers. So I spent most of the class doing the shuffle.
When I was in Jr HS, my friend and I rode our 4 wheelers down the mountain to the Jr High school. We broke in using a secret way in to the uilding we had discovered a couple weeks prior. We didnt do no $100k worth of damages but we sure made one hell of a mess for some poor souls to clean up. I was a bit of a wild child. Put my poor parents through hell.

The dumbest thing for me that I can think of is this one. I went on a vacation trip and took my Savage to mess around with because I knew I would have some time to myself. I load up the truck, radio/bag and tool bag with everything I normally use plus some spare parts, fuel and battery charger. When the time arrived I headed out to a spot to run the truck. A few people were there and saw what I was getting out so they came over to watch and ask a few questions. I proceeded to check over the truck for loose screws, tested the electronics/ transmitter and then fueled it up, plugged the exhaust and spun the motor to prime the carb. Then came a mountain of embarrassment! I did not pack a glow plug igniter so I had no way to start it up.
Oh man, I've done stuff like that before. Its soooo irritating.

Oh man, I've done stuff like that before. Its soooo irritating.
That's why when you go rc'ing ya gotta make sure ya take it all 🤣
overload bakkie.jpg

Last edited:
Added brushless to a stock TL01 chassis and tried for a speed run. First steering input at 40mph had it doing cartwheels 😳 not great straight line stability in a rally car not meant to go over 20mph

I did something similar a couple of months ago, I'd say it was probably my dumbest moment. I came home from work, and had a couple of hours before dark to set up my monster truck course at a local ballfield to get some testing worked out for the track and my trucks. After I set up the track (no small feat, btw), I went to start one of the trucks up (both are rotostart) and realized that I had forgotten my starter shaft. I started doing all of the calculations in my head as to if I had enough time to pack it up, run home, grab the shaft, and set everything back up. By my calc's I would have maybe 45 minutes of test time. I thought about just having my wife bring it to me, but I didn't know exactly where I left it, and she wouldn't know what it was. So I packed up as fast as I could, ran home, got the shaft and then got to the park to set up. I had this bad feeling as I unloaded the truck, maybe I should start my trucks and make sure they run before I go to all of this trouble carrying these ramps and speed traps and equipment. I went to start one, and I noticed that my igniter light looked a little weak...

I think I cried all the way home :D

Whacked myself in the ankles with a 1/8 scale monster truck going full blast. It was okay though because I landed on my face.
That had to freakin' hurt! I always try to tell my son not to drive his RC's towards people or himself at speed, and the other day I did that while we were filming one of our run vids of the Granite. I did a powerslide that stopped right at our feet lol. He gave me a well deserved earful when we finished 😜

That had to freakin' hurt! I always try to tell my son not to drive his RC's towards people or himself at speed, and the other day I did that while we were filming one of our run vids of the Granite. I did a powerslide that stopped right at our feet lol. He gave me a well deserved earful when we finished 😜
Yes, yes it did. And I had a black and blue ankle for a while.

Wacked myself in the shin with my 8S Kraton. wasn't going full speed but fast enough I thought I broke my leg for a minute. I had to make a dexterity check in order to keep from face planting.

Last edited:
My first good rc car, brought it to work, just finished an rc10 gold aluminum chasis back in 1990 ish ? Well i was so proud of it after assembling it for 3 days i allowed a fellow worker to try it in the parking lot, he ran it full speed into a cement abutment, it would never be the same again.

My first good rc car, brought it to work, just finished an rc10 gold aluminum chasis back in 1990 ish ? Well i was so proud of it after assembling it for 3 days i allowed a fellow worker to try it in the parking lot, he ran it full speed into a cement abutment, it would never be the same again.
Oh my God dude. So sorry that's the worst when someone else destroys your RC... especially a rc10 gold pan dam. I might have hurt him

Hmm🤔 quite a bit actually lol. From installing a diff backwards to forgetting screws to diff cases that then took a good 20 mins to tear the rig back apart and install the screws. Also have sent rigs at my face numerous times and thankfully was able to high five them out of the way or side step and just get missed😅 here's one, I almost took my Bigrock to the face but high fived it to stop it. Couldn't move as my daughter was standing directly behind me a couple feet so if I moved it would have taken her out🤦if you look at the end of the video you'll see her shadow standing right behind me.

The last crawler I built from scratch I set on the floor with both the tx and rx were on, I pulled the throttle and wow, what a show. It started jumping like a live chicken on a hot grill.
I had one of the axles up side down...:eek:

pre brushless lithium explosion circa 2008

my first go with a conversion of a Nitro to Brushless using a 4074 2000kv inrunner motor intended for large air , a 4s 4000mah 30c soft pack also intended for sky, and the original HobbyWing xerun 150 esc, original flysky 2ch 2.4 radio.

The metal beast Nitro Quake full running weight of 14 pounds...

I'm holding the truck in my arms while buttoning up the final touches for initial run, and derp der here switches on the truck first...

Luckily one of the center output cups grub screw sheered quickly, otherwise id have needed skin grafts on my entire left arm and chest...

Lol

I once accidentally did a burnout with my Typhon on my leg, I was testing to see if it hit LVC or not and the gyroscopic force of it brought it to my knee...

Back