Dumbest RC related thing you have ever done?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Tell us the story. I'll start...

I was 15. I just put a brand new motor in a Kyosho Javelin. I put a fresh battery in and turned it on, cradling the car in my left arm like a cute little baby. I was going to take it out for a quick donut or two in the driveway before taking off to an old strip mine we called "The Gobs". I reached over to grab the controller, and while doing so I gave it full throttle. The car did a 30mph 2" long burnout on my inner forearm with those treacherous spikey tires. I carried a 3 striped scar for years, and it is still slightly visible 35+ years later.

Today I did THE EXACT SAME THING with my son's Granite, but it just slightly caught me. But it was a very close call. Sometimes you might learn your lesson, and enough time goes by and you manage to forget. Just like Algebra 🤭🤗😜

Last edited:
Probably an incident with my X-Maxx i was tinkering with the receiver and when I put every thing back together i somehow plugged something in wrong and it ran full speed into the wall before a could stop it the car is fine bumper did its job

Gonna have to go with working on an rc plane in the living room. I was just making a few tweaks and testing things when I bumped the remote with my elbow and it fell off the couch and throttled up. Needless to say it was quite the adrenaline rush!

It took a few chunks out of my shin before I could catch it, so I've got the plane in one hand and trying to get a hold of the transmitter with the other, while blood is running down my shin. I finally get the transmitter in hand and throttled down, get up to find something to wipe the blood off me, when in walks the wife, she shakes her head and asks if "Do I want to know?"

The moral of the story is, always remove your prop before working on your plane. :doh:

Building my own. Can’t buy parts. 😁

Gonna have to go with working on an rc plane in the living room. I was just making a few tweaks and testing things when I bumped the remote with my elbow and it fell off the couch and throttled up. Needless to say it was quite the adrenaline rush!

It took a few chunks out of my shin before I could catch it, so I've got the plane in one hand and trying to get a hold of the transmitter with the other, while blood is running down my shin. I finally get the transmitter in hand and throttled down, get up to find something to wipe the blood off me, when in walks the wife, she shakes her head and asks if "Do I want to know?"

The moral of the story is, always remove your prop before working on your plane. :doh:
I have a Heli and that thing scares me

I had hand launched my Cox airplane an forgot to turn the receiver on!...:doh:
Cox airplane - now there is a blast from the past. I used to have those ones on a string where ya spun around watching the plane go up and down til you got dizzy.

Id have to say it would be when I was working on my 100+MPH Rusty. I had it sitting on my work bench facing me. I turned it on without having the TX turned on. Of course it went WOT right into my gut and then tried to drive up my chest. That was fun. I still have the burnout marks on my work bench many years later 🤣 🤣🤣

SDC13919.JPG

Lmao!!

That’s awesome.. I’m calling you skids for now on.

I had hand launched my Cox airplane an forgot to turn the receiver on!...:doh:
Wth lol

Its funny now but it scared the hell out of me when it happened cuz it was just instant. It happened so fast I could hardly react to it lol
I wish I was there to witness it and laugh my ass off.

Here is a story I’ll share my 65 I had line lock trans break ect. Never let me down my Fox body full throttle switch for nitrous was faulty what scares me the most is just doing a simple drive and u all of a sudden have 200 shot bottles should have been off my bad that part but street racing at anytime could happen

Oh man reading these have me dieing rite now 😂🤣😂🤣. Think everyone has had the rubber burn from holding RC and forgot controller is on or the tires wrap up your shirt and scared the poop out of you. A buddy convinced me to try and jump my tmaxx 2.5 when I first got it over my 1978 Ford Fairmont 4 door front to back. Well I broke my windshield when I didn't hit the ramp square. My dad was pist

Building my own. Can’t buy parts. 😁
But you can build some. And mix match stuff up. You will figure it out. You have me dieing with "skids" aka Graywolf74

I guess the stupidest rc thing I've done is putting a new brushless system in an Exceed Sunfire, then the first thing I do is full throttle it and hit a basketball goal. I was so embarrassed when my dad said, "alright, what broke..." when I walked inside.

I guess the stupidest rc thing I've done is putting a new brushless system in an Exceed Sunfire, then the first thing I do is full throttle it and hit a basketball goal. I was so embarrassed when my dad said, "alright, what broke..." when I walked inside.
Werent ready for that instant powah! lol :)

Oh man I got that line all the time from my dad when I was a kid. poop I still do when he comes by and see me in the shop working on my rigs

Oh, I just remembered a good one. During the summer some kids broke into our school and did over $100,000 in damages on two different occasions. They destroyed the highschool gym floor/basketball court. The school put the most beautiful floor in to replace it.

A few months into that school year I took my buggy to school with me to make something in machine shop for it. Before school I decided to do some speed runs on the gym floor. Donuts might have been the highlight of the run.

During gym that day, while doing our warm-up pushups I see these black streaks EVERYWHERE from the pins on the tires!
9.jpg

Luckily they scuffed off with my sneakers. So I spent most of the class doing the shuffle.

Back