Nitro Rustler with 2 speed transmission

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of heat will free any stuck nitro engine bud. I use a torch and a pair of vise grips on shaft. To spin crank while heating. Definitely need a vise to hold the engine though.
Heat definitely worked, I used my wife's hairdryer and was able to get it to rotate and replaced the part 👍

Heat definitely worked, I used my wife's hairdryer and was able to get it to rotate and replaced the part 👍
Wow. That's interesting...You used a hairdryer how Long did that take? To get it free and turning again. Haha must have been a while. I always use my mini torch on the nitro engines. Quick and easy.

Wow. That's interesting...You used a hairdryer how Long did that take? To get it free and turning again. Haha must have been a while. I always use my mini torch on the nitro engines. Quick and easy.
My wife has a really good one so it took me about half and hr to get it hot enough that I was able to rotate it with a leather belt wrapped around it. I don't have a mini torch but will definitely keep it in mind for the future👍 what type of rc do you have?

My wife has a really good one so it took me about half and hr to get it hot enough that I was able to rotate it with a leather belt wrapped around it. I don't have a mini torch but will definitely keep it in mind for the future👍 what type of rc do you have?
20 plus different ones. From boats, buggies, trucks, nitro & electric. Haha been in the hobby since I was 8-9 yrs old. Here's a pic of my shop.

16646433132217857335982552937603.jpg

16646433626334379008766906378218.jpg

20 plus different ones. From boats, buggies, trucks, nitro & electric. Haha been in the hobby since I was 8-9 yrs old. Here's a pic of my shop.

View attachment 153371

View attachment 153372
Holyshit, that's awesome. Definitely a goal of mine to have a garage section just for it. I only have the 1 car but I'm so hooked on it. I know for a fact I will have a few more rc cars in the future👍 for right now still waiting on the platform so I can build the 2 speed rustler.

Holyshit, that's awesome. Definitely a goal of mine to have a garage section just for it. I only have the 1 car but I'm so hooked on it. I know for a fact I will have a few more rc cars in the future👍 for right now still waiting on the platform so I can build the 2 speed rustler.
Oh it becomes a very deep rc rabbit hole for sure. Once you get one and get hooked it's only a matter of time. They will start stacking up on the shelves. Hahahah

So you only have the Xmaxx is that correct. You can build a 2speed rustler rite now if you want. Just takes money and time. To get all the parts you will need.

I built a traxxas electric Tmaxx 2yrs ago. With the Tmaxx 3.3 chassis and threw in a tranns from the
E Revo 2.0. Which everyone said that tranns wouldn't fit in the truck. It took me a few weeks. But was able to customize a trans mount for it.

Now I got a Emaxx with a castle minster esc and 2200kv motor running 20/54 gearing and it Flys. So much fun I live building them from scratch. Much more fun then buying them as a RTR.

I always rip the RTR apart anyway amd replace half the truck from the get go.. all the RTR are just your basic set up just to get them to drive that's it. Usually the rtr's are crap out the box from all the companies. Or I get the rollers and throw my own electronics in them..

Oh it becomes a very deep rc rabbit hole for sure. Once you get one and get hooked it's only a matter of time. They will start stacking up on the shelves. Hahahah

So you only have the Xmaxx is that correct. You can build a 2speed rustler rite now if you want. Just takes money and time. To get all the parts you will need.

I built a traxxas electric Tmaxx 2yrs ago. With the Tmaxx 3.3 chassis and threw in a tranns from the
E Revo 2.0. Which everyone said that tranns wouldn't fit in the truck. It took me a few weeks. But was able to customize a trans mount for it.

Now I got a Emaxx with a castle minster esc and 2200kv motor running 20/54 gearing and it Flys. So much fun I live building them from scratch. Much more fun then buying them as a RTR.

I always rip the RTR apart anyway amd replace half the truck from the get go.. all the RTR are just your basic set up just to get them to drive that's it. Usually the rtr's are crap out the box from all the companies. Or I get the rollers and throw my own electronics in them..
Oh I believe it...I see myself getting a street car now that I have a truck. No I don't have the Tmaxx I have the Nitro Rustler and I put a 60 teeth spur gear (Waiting on the 54 teeth) and a 24 teeth clutch bell reaching 68 mph as of yesterday.. hopefully with the 54teeth ill get to 70mph. But I definitely understand what you mean I have pretty much replaced almost every stock part so far because they have broken or wear and tear. I think breaking it and fixing it is part of the hobby and really its actually fun and interesting for me 👍

Lower chassis and engine mount are FINALLY here!
20221006_203921.jpg

Try adding fuel tubing to the throttle/brake rod. Inbetween the two locking collars behind the brake arm. That should help some and give a better brake feel also.

Try adding fuel tubing to the throttle/brake rod. Inbetween the two locking collars behind the brake arm. That should help some and give a better brake feel also.
Never thought of that! Will try it out, thank you!

Hey guys, I promise I haven't forgotten about this project I took a brief pause from it because of work but I'll be back to it soon! 👍

No worries, we all do that :)
20221016_190402.jpg

20221016_190631.jpg

Today I had some time to size it up, I'm trying to make it so the platform doesn't interfere with where the arms are attached to the chassis. It looks like it could go in nicely with the platform.
I trimmed it a little bit and corrected the placement of the holes, today I will drill the holes into the chassis so I can finally connect the transmission and engine mount with engine all together and transfer the gas tank from the previous set up. Can't wait to see the outcome 😄👍

Last edited:
LOL - I was only able to ever find one single case :D

I do look every day for more tho!
For the Jato transmission which differential output yokes did you go with? The M3/12.5 or the Differential output yokes (2)/ 3x5mm countersunk screws (2)/ 3mm set? Also what shaft did you use? Thank you in advance for your time 👍

Man not sure what yokes I'm using, it's whatever ones that come with the Hot Racing steel gear set. I use Bandit shafts (aftermarket steel/aluminum) though.

Man not sure what yokes I'm using, it's whatever ones that come with the Hot Racing steel gear set. I use Bandit shafts (aftermarket steel/aluminum) though.
As long as it has that screw that goes into the middle any yokes would work?
Just curious because my current yokes I cannot get off of the Rustler transmission to transfer it to the Jato Tranny because the screws stripped so I'm not sure if the rustler yokes fit on the Jato tranny. That's the main reason why I ask which yokes would work so I can order the right ones 👍

Got a mint jato today, just waiting for a wheelie bar and aluminium chassis to turn up from Jenny RC.
Have I ever mentioned I hate you? 😁🤣

You get all the cool chit.
Congrats on the new Jato.