Nitro Rustler with 2 speed transmission

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm at work I have a 50t spur gear at home let me try it on the tranny first and I'll let you know when I get home but those I've used with the Rustler Tranny and I've reached 68mph
Thanks.
Yes those look like the Rustler spur (holes for slipper pads), but unsure about the Jato.
Looking forward to your reply.

Tried it this morning. It does fit, however you will have to raise the engine for it to align well with the spur gear if not it won't reach it I'm thinking a few small washer should do the trick. Also I was thinking have you mess with the gears in the tranny?
Maybe the set up you have is not meant for top end speed and more for acceleration instead?
Thanks.
Yes those look like the Rustler spur (holes for slipper pads), but unsure about the Jato.
Looking forward to your reply.

Tried it this morning. It does fit, however you will have to raise the engine for it to align well with the spur gear if not it won't reach it I'm thinking a few small washer should do the trick. Also I was thinking have you mess with the gears in the tranny?
Maybe the set up you have is not meant for top end speed and more for acceleration instead?
Thanks for the info.
No, I have not fiddle with the tranny at all, I was not aware that this is in option?
There is plenty of room (chassis hole) for the engine mount to move closer to tranny, I thought maybe it will fit a smaller spur straight up.
There is that spur plastic guard however which may need to be ground down.
Do you have a stock spur on your jato, or smaller?

Thanks

Thanks for the info.
No, I have not fiddle with the tranny at all, I was not aware that this is in option?
There is plenty of room (chassis hole) for the engine mount to move closer to tranny, I thought maybe it will fit a smaller spur straight up.
There is that spur plastic guard however which may need to be ground down.
Do you have a stock spur on your jato, or smaller?

Thanks
I think you can either slow the gear change or make it faster...Not sure how it works yet, once I get my Rustler back up and running I will try it and further assist you if you still need it...
I do not have a Jato I have a rustler but I do have the Jato tranny which I'm currently mounting onto the Rustler chassis which is why I know the 50teeth spur gear(smaller& faster top end) fits the Jato tranny. I do have the jato stock spur gear which is a 54teeth I believe or atleast that's what my Tranny came with 👍
As for the plastic guard the higher the engine is placed the more you will have to trim down, I ended up taking mine out completely because I was using a 58teeth spur gear and needed the engine to be pretty high.
20221025_214354.jpg

Wooooo!🥳😁All the parts are here.
Time to get started I think I will do a separate blog with the process from start to finish from the beginning so that way whoever is interested doesn't have to click through 7+ pages to get the info and I will call it the "Frankenstein Rustler" lol but its pretty much gonna be the Rustler Chassis all blacked out with new everything, Jato 2 speed tranny, street tires and street body and so it's no longer going to be a truck.

20221025_222015.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

Just purchased...

View attachment 154777
You're welcome! 😁👍 you might have to play with it if you're doing 46 teeth since less teeth means smaller spurgears. If you can't get the engine high enough with small washers you can try using the front wheel spacers from the jato (Part number #5149)
Check it out...
20220923_194611.jpg

Screenshot_20221026_080202.jpg

You're welcome! 😁👍 you might have to play with it if you're doing 46 teeth since less teeth means smaller spurgears. If you can't get the engine high enough with small washers you can try using the front wheel spacers from the jato (Part number #5149)
Check it out...

Thanks

I will either machine my own spacers, or buy 2 engine mounts from Jenny RC, those factory spacers look nice.
I can see there is still 5 mm or more left for the engine to move closer to the tranny, so once I get the spur gears, I will see whether engine requires to be raised.

I am still a bit baffled that Traxxas would advertise 65 mph on a box of the car, but it doesn't even come close to that in real life.
Maybe there is a fine print somewhere on the box, where they stated an upgrade is needed?

Thanks

I will either machine my own spacers, or buy 2 engine mounts from Jenny RC, those factory spacers look nice.
I can see there is still 5 mm or more left for the engine to move closer to the tranny, so once I get the spur gears, I will see whether engine requires to be raised.

I am still a bit baffled that Traxxas would advertise 65 mph on a box of the car, but it doesn't even come close to that in real life.
Maybe there is a fine print somewhere on the box, where they stated an upgrade is needed?
So true, forgot about the stock engine mount spacers they're pretty nice , also remember if you're making it higher to get longer screws preferably 15mm screws so the engine is held properly 👍
& I feel traxxas Jato could possibly reach 50-55 mph with the right tune because I've seen it on YouTube but I do believe 60 it's an exaggeration.

So true, forgot about the stock engine mount spacers they're pretty nice , also remember if you're making it higher to get longer screws preferably 15mm screws so the engine is held properly 👍
& I feel traxxas Jato could possibly reach 50-55 mph with the right tune because I've seen it on YouTube but I do believe 60 it's an exaggeration.

I could hear the engine screaming at its peak, or close to it. I did not want to lean any further, as we know an engine damage is likely.
You have already had bad experience with this...unfortunately.

I could hear the engine screaming at its peak, or close to it. I did not want to lean any further, as we know an engine damage is likely.
You have already had bad experience with this...unfortunately.
Yeah, no from experience I can tell you not to push it to its limits because it is cost effective 😅😁 so you did right.
I'm actually rebuilding my engine again all new parts because I want to break it in with the new tranny that way the pinch is nice and tight and I'll get the best out of the engine 😁👍 I can't wait to be finished but work delays everything 😑

On another not have you tried using higher percentage nitro?

Yeah, no from experience I can tell you not to push it to its limits because it is cost effective 😅😁 so you did right.
I'm actually rebuilding my engine again all new parts because I want to break it in with the new tranny that way the pinch is nice and tight and I'll get the best out of the engine 😁👍 I can't wait to be finished but work delays everything 😑

On another not have you tried using higher percentage nitro?
Funny you ask that, usually I run on 20%.
On that day, I tried 25% as I had some left over, and 76 km/h was my top run (box advert says over 100).
In my opinion higher nitro content does not yield much increase in speed, if any.
Best way to go about is gearing ratio, but care needs to be take if geared for speed to not run the car in grassy/off-road conditions, as engine will overheat,

Funny you ask that, usually I run on 20%.
On that day, I tried 25% as I had some left over, and 76 km/h was my top run (box advert says over 100).
In my opinion higher nitro content does not yield much increase in speed, if any.
Best way to go about is gearing ratio, but care needs to be take if geared for speed to not run the car in grassy/off-road conditions, as engine will overheat,
That is crazy that means my Rustler with a 2.5r engine was going almost the same speed as a 3.3? There's something wrong there 🤨🤔 Rustler stock with a lean tune I got it to run 44mph or 70.80km/h with gps tracking the speed.
Do you have the pull start or ez start system? I'm going to read up on the Jato because there's no way a stock Rustler is pushing the same speeds as a stock Jato.
And so true about the overheating because of the slow start due to smaller gearings it puts a strain on the engine to pull the car through the grass so definitely keep it in the streets and try to keep it as straight as possible because a wrong turn at 50+mph can get sketchy 😅😁👍

That is crazy that means my Rustler with a 2.5r engine was going almost the same speed as a 3.3? There's something wrong there 🤨🤔 Rustler stock with a lean tune I got it to run 44mph or 70.80km/h with gps tracking the speed.
Do you have the pull start or ez start system? I'm going to read up on the Jato because there's no way a stock Rustler is pushing the same speeds as a stock Jato.
And so true about the overheating because of the slow start due to smaller gearings it puts a strain on the engine to pull the car through the grass so definitely keep it in the streets and try to keep it as straight as possible because a wrong turn at 50+mph can get sketchy 😅😁👍
Rotostart, EZ removed.
I have a traxxas TSM receiver in there now, so should go straight, it already does tbh even without tsm.

Good! Ez start its too bulky and heavy so it definitely slows you down. I try avoiding Tsm (although it's great) as much as possible because for some reason it causes speed wobbles on my rustler once I pass 45mph, and ends up causing the car to flip instead of stabilizing it like its supposed to. So I always have it like at 25%-35% to avoid said problems...👍
Rotostart, EZ removed.
I have a traxxas TSM receiver in there now, so should go straight, it already does tbh even without tsm.

Good! Ez start its too bulky and heavy so it definitely slows you down. I try avoiding Tsm (although it's great) as much as possible because for some reason it causes speed wobbles on my rustler once I pass 45mph, and ends up causing the car to flip instead of stabilizing it like its supposed to. So I always have it like at 25%-35% to avoid said problems...👍
TSM is great, it really keeps some of my cars going straight.
I always have it between 10-20%, depending on model.

Bit angry at myself for not doing the homework first...
Just purchased Traxxas 6842 50T Spur, which is slash/stampede part, and its a perfect fit for a Jato.
Fitted it in 5 mins no need to raise the engine...etc, and still room left for even smaller spur, and local hobby store had it for 10 NZD.

Now I need to find out whether there are even smaller tooth count Traxxas spurs that will fit the Jato.
Still waiting on the ones from US to arrive.

Bit angry at myself for not doing the homework first...
Just purchased Traxxas 6842 50T Spur, which is slash/stampede part, and its a perfect fit for a Jato.
Fitted it in 5 mins no need to raise the engine...etc, and still room left for even smaller spur, and local hobby store had it for 10 NZD.

Now I need to find out whether there are even smaller tooth count Traxxas spurs that will fit the Jato.
Still waiting on the ones from US to arrive.

Well .8 are usually Jato the 54teeth shows .8 on it so it should work because it has the same pitch. I find a way to make everything work lol, the ones from the U.S the 50 teeth I already installed it on my tranny.
lt has multiple holes you might have to fiddle with it a bit to find the right side but it does fit.
I'm going to be honest with you though idk how well it works or if it will hold as I still have not completed the project so I have not tried it yet 🤷‍♂️ so if it fits but it doesn't work I apologize in advance, I haven't gotten there myself yet....

Here's a little update as to where I'm at with the car:
I dismantled the old upper chassis and took out the gas tank and cleaned it to be used on the new all blacked out chassis. I drilled the holes for the engine and tranny to fit on the lower chassis and made sure the border of the gas tank didn't interfere or touch the engine's fly wheel which was a hassle!
Also I saw previously Johnnydmd applied a platform for the tranny to sit on which I'm lazy so I completely skip that and I'm applying the tranny straight to the chassis just like the previous tranny was set.

20221030_002000.jpg

20221029_202744.jpg

Well .8 are usually Jato the 54teeth shows .8 on it so it should work because it has the same pitch. I find a way to make everything work lol, the ones from the U.S the 50 teeth I already installed it on my tranny.
lt has multiple holes you might have to fiddle with it a bit to find the right side but it does fit.
I'm going to be honest with you though idk how well it works or if it will hold as I still have not completed the project so I have not tried it yet 🤷‍♂️ so if it fits but it doesn't work I apologize in advance, I haven't gotten there myself yet....

Here's a little update as to where I'm at with the car:
I dismantled the old upper chassis and took out the gas tank and cleaned it to be used on the new all blacked out chassis. I drilled the holes for the engine and tranny to fit on the lower chassis and made sure the border of the gas tank didn't interfere or touch the engine's fly wheel which was a hassle!
Also I saw previously Johnnydmd applied a platform for the tranny to sit on which I'm lazy so I completely skip that and I'm applying the tranny straight to the chassis just like the previous tranny was set.

Hi

Traxxas makes no less than a 50T spur, that fits the Jato, so those 48 and 46T I got from the States will definitely get used.
As long as the 3 bolts that attach the slipper clutch pads assembly and spur together are matching, I will be happy.

Hi

Traxxas makes no less than a 50T spur, that fits the Jato, so those 48 and 46T I got from the States will definitely get used.
As long as the 3 bolts that attach the slipper clutch pads assembly and spur together are matching, I will be happy.
Once you receive them let me know how it goes... Hopefully they fit just fine and you're able to get some good top end speed 👍

Well, today I clocked just over 60 mph (97km.h) on a rich tune.
Was just about to lean it to finally make it over 100 km/h when my fiddlesticking throttle traxxas 2075 servo died.
What POS, this is a second one that died on me (different occasion), can't believe how poopy these servos really are!