Nitro Rustler with 2 speed transmission

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a mint jato today, just waiting for a wheelie bar and aluminium chassis to turn up from Jenny RC.
Awesome! Please share with us some pics if you want 😁👍
Thanks man :)

Its a sad day at the same time though.
Time to let my old trusty Nitro Rusty go, there is just no need for it now.
You can put a jato tranny on that rustler 😉

Awesome! Please share with us some pics if you want 😁👍

You can put a jato tranny on that rustler 😉

Here it is, I think I will pass on the nitro rustler mod, but will be monitoring this thread frequently as you project is very interesting.

Removed the EZ start right away, I just dont like it that much!
Less weight, less clutter and more air flow for the engine.

jato2.jpg

jato3.jpg

jato5.jpg

Here it is, I think I will pass on the nitro rustler mod, but will be monitoring this thread frequently as you project is very interesting.

Removed the EZ start right away, I just dont like it that much!
Less weight, less clutter and more air flow for the engine.

View attachment 154604

View attachment 154606

View attachment 154607
That body looks badass I've never seen it with that blue 🤯 as for the starter I took it off right away too. It's too heavy for the speeds I was trying to reach with the Rustler 🤷‍♂️ as long as you have the right tune it starts up with one pull anyways so its no hassle👍
On another note is that spoiler stock with the Jato?

That body looks badass I've never seen it with that blue 🤯 as for the starter I took it off right away too. It's too heavy for the speeds I was trying to reach with the Rustler 🤷‍♂️ as long as you have the right tune it starts up with one pull anyways so its no hassle👍
On another note is that spoiler stock with the Jato
Which spoiler?
The side plastics?

The battery compartment is stock, and wheelie bar is optional, but you absolutely need it, as it flips quite easily.
Try 2.2 wheels it will help out immensely with wheelies at low and high speeds.. I would suggest these but you can look around 😁👍
fbr1wheneo172_2.jpg

Try 2.2 wheels it will help out immensely with wheelies at low and high speeds.. I would suggest these but you can look around 😁👍View attachment 154634
I will see how I go with stock first. thanks for the heads up.
I am very happy with the Jato.
It has a bit of wheel slop ( pretty sure they are factory like this), and because of this I thought it will be hard to keep it going straight.
I was wrong, it keeps straight very well, and this is a non TSM version too, so no gyro.
I wonder though, can the Jato really hit 60 mph stock?

Oh and I am having one issue with it. Brakes!
Brakes are very weak, and I have them tight, to the point where they bind when in neutral.
Dont know what to do, as I have already done the brake flip mod.

I will see how I go with stock first. thanks for the heads up.
I am very happy with the Jato.
It has a bit of wheel slop ( pretty sure they are factory like this), and because of this I thought it will be hard to keep it going straight.
I was wrong, it keeps straight very well, and this is a non TSM version too, so no gyro.
I wonder though, can the Jato really hit 60 mph stock?

Oh and I am having one issue with it. Brakes!
Brakes are very weak, and I have them tight, to the point where they bind when in neutral.
Dont know what to do, as I have already done the brake flip mod.
Try getting a stronger servo, maybe it has too much power for the current one.
Does the tire keep rolling when you brake or does it slide?

Try getting a stronger servo, maybe it has too much power for the current one.
Does the tire keep rolling when you brake or does it slide?

They kinda roll when you press the car harder against the floor.
I have now replaced the brake linkage adjustment spring with a fuel tube, it now seems to be better.
I find that the car takes some time to come to a full stop, but that may be because of its high speed.
Will test and report back, brakes now lock up, but still will spin a little when pressured from the top.

They kinda roll when you press the car harder against the floor.
I have now replaced the brake linkage adjustment spring with a fuel tube, it now seems to be better.
I find that the car takes some time to come to a full stop, but that may be because of its high speed.
Will test and report back, brakes now lock up, but still will spin a little when pressured from the top.
Yeah I think it's because of the high speeds, if not maybe your brake is just wasted and needs to be replaced?

Brake disk is like new.
Its just a well know Jato problem, brakes bad.
The brake arm (plastic) keeps bending with servo pressure.
The terrible brakes on the Jato were responsible for a few of my wrecks. They don't stop well at all.

Could not get it more than 48 mph today.
Body was convered in oil, so I guess I could have leaned it a bit more , but I feel that definitely 65 mph as claimed by Traxxas, cannot be achieved?

Body was convered in oil, so I guess I could have leaned it a bit more , but I feel that definitely 65 mph as claimed by Traxxas, cannot be achieved?
I believe 65mph is achievable just not stock, you will have to change the clutch bell for the 24teeth which is the biggest one possible and change the 42 pitch spur gear for 50 teeth or less. You're able to go down to 44 teeth but you will have to make some adjustments. Here's a link for better spur gear as well. Just press the blue fonts and it will take you to both the spur gear and clutch bell, you can possibly make the car even hit 70+mph with the right tune.. which is what I'm trying to achieve by replacing the Magnum one speed transmission for the Jato Tranny 😁👍

Traxxas (and pretty much every company out there) over promise and under deliver. Most of Traxxas's top speed claims are usually not stock out of the box ratings.

I believe 65mph is achievable just not stock, you will have to change the clutch bell for the 24teeth which is the biggest one possible and change the 42 pitch spur gear for 50 teeth or less. You're able to go down to 44 teeth but you will have to make some adjustments. Here's a link for better spur gear as well. Just press the blue fonts and it will take you to both the spur gear and clutch bell, you can possibly make the car even hit 70+mph with the right tune.. which is what I'm trying to achieve by replacing the Magnum one speed transmission for the Jato Tranny 😁👍

Thanks for explaining that.
So, from what I understand, Jato is already geared for speed, and cannot be upgraded for more speed with traxxas parts?
Cars exploded drawings show 56 spur and 24 Clutch Bell. These two are already stock for the Jato.
That means Traxxas speed claim of 65 mph can only be done with after market parts?
Traxxas (and pretty much every company out there) over promise and under deliver. Most of Traxxas's top speed claims are usually not stock out of the box ratings.

Yea, I realized that after I got my friend to come around and show him how my nitro can hit 100 km/h, and then only make it to 76 max.
Maybe a Nitro 4tec is the answer.
:)

Last edited:
Hey Jay

Can you please advise if you are 100% sure these spurs will work on a stock Jato?
I am about to order a couple from the place you linked and ship them to NZ.
Will they be compatible with Jatos slipper clutch assembly?
What is the lowest tooth count spur you reckon I could get away with for Cbell and spur to mesh without any mods?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Hey Jay

Can you please advise if you are 100% sure these spurs will work on a stock Jato?
I am about to order a couple from the place you linked and ship them to NZ.
Will they be compatible with Jatos slipper clutch assembly?
What is the lowest tooth count spur you reckon I could get away with for Cbell and spur to mesh without any mods?

Thanks a lot!
I'm at work I have a 50t spur gear at home let me try it on the tranny first and I'll let you know when I get home but those I've used with the Rustler Tranny and I've reached 68mph