Nitro Rustler with 2 speed transmission

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydiaz1993

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I am trying to convert my Nitro Rustler from a 1 speed (Magnum) transmission to a 2 speed transmission I am thinking of using the jato transmission but I was wondering if anyone has done this or something similar that can point me in the right direction.
Thank you for your time in advance ! 👍

Welcome in @Jaydiaz1993 , If you can post some close up pics of the rig, there are some guys in here that can build just about anything.
Somebody will come along and give you some suggestions.
I don't like to give my 2 cents if I've never owned a Rustler so I wouldn't know.
Sounds like a fun project. Be patient bud, somebody will come along.

Welcome to the site.

There were a few that did it. I've actually been thinking of the Jato tranny on my nitro slash build. A hospital stay put tat on the back burner.

Ill see if I can dig up any info on it.

Welcome in @Jaydiaz1993 , If you can post some close up pics of the rig, there are some guys in here that can build just about anything.
Somebody will come along and give you some suggestions.
I don't like to give my 2 cents if I've never owned a Rustler so I wouldn't know.
Sounds like a fun project. Be patient bud, somebody will come along.
Thank you for the welcoming @Tunedpipe here's some pics, anything helps! 😁👍it does sound like a fun project I'm just in search of more speed I can't seem to pass 58 mph and aside from spur gears and clutch bell, transmission is the only thing that I can of that would make it faster...
Pics:
20220901_011403.jpg
20220901_011512.jpg
20220804_203006.jpg
20220901_010515.jpg

Welcome to the site.

There were a few that did it. I've actually been thinking of the Jato tranny on my nitro slash build. A hospital stay put tat on the back burner.

Ill see if I can dig up any info on it.
Thank you for the welcoming excited to join! Hopefully it leads me in the right direction 👍 Jato tranny on a slash would be pretty awesome if you dig anything up please share, Thank you!

Last edited:
That looks like a brand new engine, have you just replace 2.5 recently?
Very interested to see how this goes, as I was thinking about doing the same, then wanted a Jato instead....which ever comes first :)

Heres my trusty rusty also with a 3.3

rustler 1.jpg

rustler 2.jpg

rustler 3.jpg

That looks like a brand new engine, have you just replace 2.5 recently?
Very interested to see how this goes, as I was thinking about doing the same, then wanted a Jato instead....which ever comes first :)

Heres my trusty rusty also with a 3.3

View attachment 152391

View attachment 152392

View attachment 152393
Definitely did, also changed the spur gear to a 64teeth and the clutchbell to the biggest one I was able to get and yet no matter how I tune it I haven't been able to pass 58 mph, it has a ton of torque and acceleration though which I'm happy about. Also the guy at the hobby shop told me to try 30% nitro and I might break into the 60s but I don't want to rely on the nitro % in order to make it there. What type of filter is yours carrying? Looks different, does it help?

Last edited:
Theres quite a bit of difference between the nitro Rustler tranny and the Jato tranny. I'm not aware if others out there have figured out how to convert it or not but heres a couple of pics of my filthy Jato resto project kit so you can get an idea.

20220911_101445.jpg

1662906488362.jpeg

Theres quite a bit of difference between the nitro Rustler tranny and the Jato tranny. I'm not aware if others out there have figured out how to convert it or not but heres a couple of pics of my filthy Jato resto project kit so you can get an idea.

View attachment 152410
This actually helps out a lot!
Thank you! Is there anyway you can take pics of the bottom portion of the Chassis?
I want to see the screw placement.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to make a few holes and or stretch the back of my chasis...

Sure thing. You'll have to figure out how to mount the Jato tranny to the rear shock tower too like the stock one.

20220911_101445.jpg

20220911_101532.jpg

I would suggest figuring out a better way to mount the shock tower. That is exactly where mine broke during a light rear end landing on a tabletop jump. Which requires a ton of work to replace the transmission case. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid design.

Sure thing. You'll have to figure out how to mount the Jato tranny to the rear shock tower too like the stock one.

View attachment 152416
View attachment 152417
Yeah the bottom is definitely different so I will have to drill about 2 more wholes in the back portion or 4 wholes and connected an extra piece to stretch the chassis as for the shock tower I actually have the transmission arriving this upcoming week already bought it so I will keep posting the process for anyone who is interested in the subject or doing the same thing ! This is definitely going to be an interesting one...

Definitely did, also changed the spur gear to a 64teeth and the clutchbell to the biggest one I was able to get and yet no matter how I tune it I haven't been able to pass 58 mph, it has a ton of torque and acceleration though which I'm happy about. Also the guy at the hobby shop told me to try 30% nitro and I might break into the 60s but I don't want to rely on the nitro % in order to make it there. What type of filter is yours carrying? Looks different, does it help?
Hello

I believe the air filter I have on my rusty is from nitro traxxas slash.
With 3.3 on it, my rustler literally wants to fly off. I am not sure how you keep the front wheels on the ground at 58 mph, are you sure you are not talking about km/h rather than m/h?

I would suggest figuring out a better way to mount the shock tower. That is exactly where mine broke during a light rear end landing on a tabletop jump. Which requires a ton of work to replace the transmission case. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid design.
I'm not sure as to how it would go mounted on to the Rustler yet but most likely I will use the stock Rustler shock mount drill holes to align to the transmission and put metal back plate to hold in place... Again idk if it will work, these are just ideas until I've actually received the Tranny... did you find a better way to mount it onto yours after it broke the first time?

Hello

With 3.3 on it, my rustler literally wants to fly off. I am not sure how you keep the front wheels on the ground at 58 mph, are you sure you are not talking about km/h rather than m/h?
I have a Rusty that has done 118MPH. That being said its not a nitro and its far from being stock :)

... did you find a better way to mount it onto yours after it broke the first time?
Nothing short of an aluminum trans case would solve it on the Jato, or some interesting redesign work. And I think @johnnydmd has bought up every aluminum trans case on the planet.

I have a Rusty that has done 118MPH. That being said its not a nitro and its far from being stock :)
Electric? That's pretty good but I think nitro is more fun I love hearing the engine go crazy lol. Obviously to each their own and if you're having fun with it that's all that matters 😌👍
Hello

Then I'm most likely going to do the same to my filter, I like the way it looks on yours. & as for the speed...It's definitely miles per hour I have gps on it both the traxxas one which i believe is not as accurate & the SkyRC gps too which is pretty awesome 😁👍

I got 2.2" tires instead of the regular. 2.8" which makes the car much lower and its very hard for it to do a wheelie I will leave the tires here just in case you're interested
fbr1wheneo172_2.jpg

Electric? That's pretty good but I think nitro is more fun I love hearing the engine go crazy lol. Obviously to each their own and if you're having fun with it that's all that matters 😌👍
I have nitros too, I do like the sound and smell of nitro but electric is more in my wheelhouse just because of my general interest in batteries and electronics. I only posted that to illustrate that Rsutlers in general can go quite fast. :)

I have nitros too, I do like the sound and smell of nitro but electric is more in my wheelhouse just because of my general interest in batteries and electronics. I only posted that to illustrate that Rsutlers in general can go quite fast. :)
My second RC after Kyosho Sandmaster (what got me into RC's) was a Brushless Electric Rustler.
Great car, just pissed me off as it just wheelies all the time, too much power.
This is where Traxxas nitro Slash brings the balance, almost a Rustler, but not quite an does not raise its front wheels, but is just as fast, because essentially its a Rustler with a a slightly longer chassis.
Love my Nitro Slash, which I ironically haven't fired up in over a year.