It's new RC day!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not convert the 144001’s to brushless. When I bought them, I also bought 2 extra motors and ESC’s for them, which in hindsight wasn’t necessary. I just figured they would fail, and I’d have extras on hand. Anyway, these things go plenty fast for me! I know some would disagree, but there is a point of Too Fast! I ended up switching out some of my land vehicles (and boat) with the NB4 Noble FlySky receivers when I got that transmitter( I love that transmitter). I’m a lefty, so the NB4 feels so much more natural being able to flip the wheel to the left side. Now a have this dilemma of having to switch back and forth between left and right hand steering when I use the non converted cars (transmitters) . Eventually I’ll get all my stuff (all 7, Wow!) fitted with the NB4 compatible Rx’s. But at $30-40 per receiver, it gets somewhat expensive. Being left handed is a pain sometimes!
The Typhon is brushless, and has little to no trouble in short grass. I believe its 1/8 scale.
Oh, ok! The 144001, stock is still lots of fun, BL is just the next step! The motor is oversized and geared high for getting those high top speeds Wltoys advertises, if you don't run in grass often, do long, extended runs with no cooling breaks, or really push it, the ESC and motor should be fine. They will get a little toasty after running WOT for a while, so for sure, let the car cool down for 5 minutes between battery packs, to extend the motor and ESC's lifespan!

With the BL setup, with mine, even though it's only a little faster than stock, it's the acceleration that gets you! Most of the time when running RCs or 1:1 scale cars, you're not going flat out, but rather, accelerating. Because of the lighter motor, probably higher RPM, and lower gearing, the acceleration is much improved, making it feel like the car is faster than it is, not that that's a bad thing! I'm not trying to sell you to brushless, just sayin'!

I take it both of your 144001s, and your 16889 are running the stock TX/RX (and ESC, as both cars have a combined ESC + Receiver setup)? The Noble 4 is a pretty popular mid/high end radio!

Lol I'm a lefty too! I think we'd be good friends 🤣🤣 I actually have no problem with normal "righty" radios, when I first got into the hobby, I actually thought that us lefties had it good with the radios! Maybe it's because I'm now used to standard radios, and have never used a radio with a switchable wheel. I use the DumboRC X6 setup in my 144001, and the stock radio in my 1601 (which is currently bone stock).

Dang, $30-$40 per receiver?! That's how much my RX/TX cost me (and mine comes with the gyro) 🤣🤣 Makes you wonder if the Noble stuff is slightly overpriced. It certainly must be nice to be able to adjust all those nitty-gritty adjustments, but sometimes that can be a hinderance, as too much adjustability can be frustrating and time-consuming, sometimes simple is better!

I would expect that your Typhon would motor through grass! What other rigs do you have?

Oh, ok! The 144001, stock is still lots of fun, BL is just the next step! The motor is oversized and geared high for getting those high top speeds Wltoys advertises, if you don't run in grass often, do long, extended runs with no cooling breaks, or really push it, the ESC and motor should be fine. They will get a little toasty after running WOT for a while, so for sure, let the car cool down for 5 minutes between battery packs, to extend the motor and ESC's lifespan!

With the BL setup, with mine, even though it's only a little faster than stock, it's the acceleration that gets you! Most of the time when running RCs or 1:1 scale cars, you're not going flat out, but rather, accelerating. Because of the lighter motor, probably higher RPM, and lower gearing, the acceleration is much improved, making it feel like the car is faster than it is, not that that's a bad thing! I'm not trying to sell you to brushless, just sayin'!

I take it both of your 144001s, and your 16889 are running the stock TX/RX (and ESC, as both cars have a combined ESC + Receiver setup)? The Noble 4 is a pretty popular mid/high end radio!

Lol I'm a lefty too! I think we'd be good friends 🤣🤣 I actually have no problem with normal "righty" radios, when I first got into the hobby, I actually thought that us lefties had it good with the radios! Maybe it's because I'm now used to standard radios, and have never used a radio with a switchable wheel. I use the DumboRC X6 setup in my 144001, and the stock radio in my 1601 (which is currently bone stock).

Dang, $30-$40 per receiver?! That's how much my RX/TX cost me (and mine comes with the gyro) 🤣🤣 Makes you wonder if the Noble stuff is slightly overpriced. It certainly must be nice to be able to adjust all those nitty-gritty adjustments, but sometimes that can be a hinderance, as too much adjustability can be frustrating and time-consuming, sometimes simple is better!

I would expect that your Typhon would motor through grass! What other rigs do you have?
Yes the 144001’s are still esc/rx combos as well as the Haiboxing. Unfortunately they only have as far as I know 2 receivers that will work with the Noble. One is external antenna and the other is small with an internal. The range is impressive with these guys.
Also have the Feilun 001 boat, which is fun, and three semi cheap Bezgar buggy/truggies. Hearing good things about the new(er) Wltoys 144010 brushless.
Yes the 144001’s are still esc/rx combos as well as the Haiboxing. Unfortunately they only have as far as I know 2 receivers that will work with the Noble. One is external antenna and the other is small with an internal. The range is impressive with these guys.
Also have the Feilun 001 boat, which is fun, and three semi cheap Bezgar buggy/truggies. Hearing good things about the new(er) Wltoys 144010 brushless.
(Feilun is 011, not 001)

(Feilun is 011, not 001)
Hmm, interesting, you can't just pair any old 2.4g receiver to the Noble? Figures, all these high end, near flagship, or flagship, radios have all this proprietary gear. As I said, I run the DumboRC X6 in my 144001, the range on that thing is just stupid, over 1500"! In fact, I haven't even been able to go half that, I'd probably loose sight of the car at 750"! The range and response time does suffer a little on near-deal AA batteries, so for any speed runners or high-speed bashers that run this radio, when the top blue light starts flashing blue and light blue/green, chuck those AAs in the recycle, and get some fresh ones in! This has happened to my twice, where I was out ripping, and my radio just went flat, completely dead! Both times were my fault, I neglected to change the batteries, so I now have 4 AAs in my little go-everywhere "RC bag", for these situations!

Yeah, the Wltoys 124016/7 V2 and the 144010 are great, best Wltoys you can get right out of the box brushless! If you're gonna chuck your own, better electronics in there, then maybe go for the brushed models, as you won't be paying more for the BL setup you won't use anyway. But the newer Wltoys do have like 2 or 3 small changes over the older ones, staggered shock lengths for one (5mm shorter front shocks for slightly better stance), chassis hinge pin bolts, instead of pins, and shimmed diffs I think. All things that can be done to the older Wltoys without too much hassle or money. You could just buy the newer, shimmed diffs if you don't want to/can't shim the old ones, and the old diffs are already worn. Shock lengths are your choice, I'm fine with the stock shocks.

The hinge pin bolts are a good upgrade if you bash these cars hard and have broken the hinge pin brace and/or bent the hinger pins multiple times. Not to be confused with the hinge pins that hold the A-arm to the front or rear caster block/hub, respectively.

What're your top 3 favorite rigs right now? Lemme guess, the Typhon, your 144001s, and the 16889?

Yeah apparently the noble won’t work with the older rx’s. Of coarse $30 rx isn’t out of line with some other brands.
I have a Dumbo rx/tx I bought a while ago, but don’t use since the Noble. The range is really good like you said. Yep, if you can’t see your vehicle anymore, you don’t need more range!
I just took the HBX apart again and cleaned and greased the diffs. Will be interesting to see how long the nylon gears hold up.
It is fun to zip that little thing around in parking lots, so it’s a favorite for sure. Have to get my 011 boat out and take to the pond since the weather is finally warmer. It’s fun to drive, but I need to convert a cheapie boat into a recovery boat. (not like the Feilun was that expensive)

Back