First crawler build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the new Hobbywing WP1080 today. Already got it soldered up and installed and had to give it a test run with the current motor video coming soon... Added Deans connection for my small lipos and just put on the standard brushed connections for the motor. Runs great, a lot smoother and better crawl for sure. Can't wait tell the new Holmes hobbies 550 12t gets here as motor I'm running now is just a bit to peppy.
20211008_141932.jpg
20211008_150847.jpg
20211008_154228.jpg

Got the new Hobbywing WP1080 today. Already got it soldered up and installed and had to give it a test run with the current motor video coming soon... Added Deans connection for my small lipos and just put on the standard brushed connections for the motor. Runs great, a lot smoother and better crawl for sure. Can't wait tell the new Holmes hobbies 550 12t gets here as motor I'm running now is just a bit to peppy.View attachment 134670View attachment 134671View attachment 134672

Somebody REALLY wants to go out and play! :)

Somebody REALLY wants to go out and play! :)
Oh I went out and played 😉 new ESC alone made a big difference so can't wait to see how much better it will be with the new HH motor too. Have to get video edited up of today's little crawl to post but I noticed a big difference with the new HW ESC for sure😍
Screenshot_20211008-213625_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211008-213740_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211008-213926_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211008-214021_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Glad things are getting back to normal for you. We got our first rain of the season yesterday morning. We finally had two days in a row without smokey air. Hoping we are done with fire season. It's finally cooling off enough to enjoy going outside if the smoke will stay gone. :thumbs-up:

Glad things are getting back to normal for you. We got our first rain of the season yesterday morning. We finally had two days in a row without smokey air. Hoping we are done with fire season. It's finally cooling off enough to enjoy going outside if the smoke will stay gone. :thumbs-up:
Yep definitely been a nice change for sure! We've also been getting smoke from the other fires, think one in the Sequoia area has been the smoke we're getting lately.

Well look what decided to show up today😍 also I'm assuming the side with the red colored dot is the positive lead side? Not sure if brushed motors are like brushless that doesn't necessarily have a specific positive lead and doesn't matter unless sensored. Just don't want to ruin a new motor hooking it up wrong..
20211009_140225.jpg
20211009_151511.jpg

Well look what decided to show up today😍 also I'm assuming the side with the red colored dot is the positive lead side? Not sure if brushed motors are like brushless that doesn't necessarily have a specific positive lead and doesn't matter unless sensored. Just don't want to ruin a new motor hooking it up wrong.
Reversing the wires just make the motor rotates in the other direction.

OK so it is like a brushless motor then👍🏼 Thanks for the heads up!
While I have multiple vehicles with brushless motors, I don't really don't much about them. So, what exactly are each of the 3 wires?

While I have multiple vehicles with brushless motors, I don't really don't much about them. So, what exactly are each of the 3 wires?
I'm not super educated with them either so don't quote me lol, I just know they are different phases they are called so I believe how it works is the sensor in the motor tells the esc what phase needs to be powered to spin the rotor at what position. So with a non sensored setup the phases can be switched instead of having to be A to A B to B etc. and same thing happens it will reverse the direction the motor spins. I have a couple rigs that the phases are mixed as the motor sits opposite the way the phases run so I just switch two of the 3 motor leads and it spins the other way👍🏼 that's about all I'm educated about them lol.

The first time I connected one of my rc plane motors backwards it took me a while to figure out why It couldn't get off the ground. When I realized the prop was going backwards it was one of those DUH moments.

The first time I connected one of my rc plane motors backwards it took me a while to figure out why It couldn't get off the ground. When I realized the prop was going backwards it was one of those DUH moments.
I thought I was the only one that does stuff like that. :D

Yep, done it, as well!

Absolutely blown away by the performance of the HW 1080 and Holmes Hobbies 550 12t! I'm working on a video to show the difference in performance that I'll have done hopefully soon. Also thanks to my sponsors at RCjuice I have a monster 35kg servo coming for the crawler. I'll be doing a video on and comparing the difference to the 20kg Amazon servo I'm running now. The 20kg struggles for sure wheels get stuck until rig moves forward or backwards and makes it tough sometimes while crawling. Super thankful for all the recent support I've gotten from some Absolutely amazing companies and businesses. Highly suggest checking RCjuice out especially if your in California as they are a great small LHS out of Rocklin right outside of Sacramento. Weekly sales, clearance, great prices and products and amazing service! Can't leave a link as I don’t want to get in trouble but again check out RCjuice guys highly recommend them, and they have an eBay store also. Oh and you get a free sucker with every purchase and who doesn't like free candy🤣
Screenshot_20211013-201508_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211013-201521_Chrome.jpg

Back