First crawler build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted to see how well the RGT did on an incline and was able to get like 46° with smooth wood no grip and body on. Added some carpet and with body on did 49-50° and without body did 53-54°. Can tell with a little more weight up front should get a few more for sure. Pretty awesome though for what little I've done to it! View attachment 132796View attachment 132797
Yeah, the performance goes way up when you don't have as body, even a very lightweight one. It's a balancing act that you have to decide for yourself on how much body details you want to and how much crawling performance you're willing to sacrifice to make your rig look pretty. Me? I like a pretty rig! 😀

Yeah, the performance goes way up when you don't have as body, even a very lightweight one. It's a balancing act that you have to decide for yourself on how much body details you want to and how much crawling performance you're willing to sacrifice to make your rig look pretty. Me? I like a pretty rig! 😀
Ya I'm kinda in-between as I want a good looking rig but also want the most climbing ability I can get. Probably look into a different body eventually that I can paint and will be really light being the thinner lexan.

OK few updates to add.. decided to add some +10mm hex extenders to widen the stance out and get rid of the plastic hex's. Also went back to stock 14t pinion over 18t. Also switched stock 20t motor for Arrma 12t. Received my metal steering parts yesterday and turns out they are for the previous model so steering mounts are completely different and caster mounts have the wrong angle as lines drawn show which cause horrible toe out so will not be able to use them.
20210919_160500.jpg
20210919_182029.jpg
20210920_184042.jpg
20210920_183714.jpg
20210920_194216.jpg

Sucks about the steering parts. :(
It does for sure but definitely part my fault for not looking at the parts on the rig prior to ordering them. Not the end of the world and rig is performing amazingly with the changes so far👍🏼 I think next will be a better esc to smooth out the slow crawling but otherwise I'm extremely happy with it😁
20210919_193023.jpg

Changed rear shock springs to a little bit stiffer set and also trimmed up the tires for better traction. Need to work on the crawler course some more and get some video running the rig with the changes made so far. Have a new esc and motor sitting in my shopping cart just need to make the order as the setup now is just not slow enough and too jerky. Esc is the Hobbywing WP1080 and motor Holmes Hobbies crawl master sport 550 12t.
Tires before and after trimming them
20211004_212311.jpg
20211004_212739.jpg

You better get that course done before monsoon season! 🤣 Unfortunately I've been reading we are in for a cold dry winter.

Last edited:
Well went ahead and ordered new electronics for the crawler today. Went with the Hobbywing WP1080 esc and Holmes hobbies 550 12t motor. Have heard great things about them and imagine will be leaps ahead of the stock setup. Can't wait to have the rig crawl slow and smooth and really show its potential.
Screenshot_20211005-204755_eBay.jpg

I can handle the cold as long as I dont have to shovel snow lol
I'll take all the snow happily! Dont care if I have to shovel feet and feet as we need it so bad it's not even funny! Haven't seen good snow in a good almost 10yrs which is killing us up here. Shoot I'd even take a winter like in 92 where we seen over 22 feet in a month. Had days where we got like 8 ft overnight and had to crawl out of the second story windows. Hate to say it but we need a winter like that so bad!

I run the HW 1080 in all of my crawlers with Holmes Hobbies motors. They are an awesome system for sure. I was boxing stuff up in my shop today and I found a CrawlMaster Sport 550 still in the package and completely forgot I bought it. Good excuse to build another crawler... :)

I run the HW 1080 in all of my crawlers with Holmes Hobbies motors. They are an awesome system for sure. I was boxing stuff up in my shop today and I found a CrawlMaster Sport 550 still in the package and completely forgot I bought it. Good excuse to build another crawler... :)
Awesome, always nice when you find hidden gems you left yourself and forgot about😉 definitely a good excuse for a new build🤣

Back