Caverns of Doom! Micro crawler course.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doom!

Team Dust Devil
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
Ok, been getting closer to being able to start on my micro crawling course, so I thought I should start by playing with some ideas. Originally I had planned on doing almost the same thing @WickedFog is doing, but after seeing his in progress, I was afraid mine might just look like a cheap knock off, He is doing his some serious justice for sure. :thumbs-up: Then when we were posting the other day I got the idea of doing a subterranean course, hence the Cavern of Doom idea. 🤔

Started thinking about things to add interest and came up with some ideas that may or may not make it into the build. Kind of a Journey to the Center of the Earth vibe. So some elements I have come up with so far are the following.
• giant mushrooms
• a wall of chrystals
• a dinosaur skeleton
• a giant spider with web
• a bottomless pit
• obviously going to need stalagtites/ stalagmites
• lit with black light
• some neon highlights here and there to add to the fantasy feel.

I'm sure more ideas will come as I progress but here is a quick sketch I did on my tablet tonight to get a feel for the vibe. Kind of like a ride at Disneyland. ;)

PSX_20210925_214545.jpg

I'm sure there will be lots of tests in this thread before I get started.

Ok, been getting closer to being able to start on my micro crawling course, so I thought I should start by playing with some ideas. Originally I had planned on doing almost the same thing @WickedFog is doing, but after seeing his in progress, I was afraid mine might just look like a cheap knock off, He is doing his some serious justice for sure. :thumbs-up: Then when we were posting the other day I got the idea of doing a subterranean course, hence the Cavern of Doom idea. 🤔

Started thinking about things to add interest and came up with some ideas that may or may not make it into the build. Kind of a Journey to the Center of the Earth vibe. So some elements I have come up with so far are the following.
• giant mushrooms
• a wall of chrystals
• a dinosaur skeleton
• a giant spider with web
• a bottomless pit
• obviously going to need stalagtites/ stalagmites
• lit with black light
• some neon highlights here and there to add to the fantasy feel.

I'm sure more ideas will come as I progress but here is a quick sketch I did on my tablet tonight to get a feel for the vibe. Kind of like a ride at Disneyland. ;)

View attachment 133657

I'm sure there will be lots of tests in this thread before I get started.
Its got a kinda of Jurasic Park vibe to it. love it!

You should do more drugs.
OK. You talked me in to it! 🤣🤣🤣

Awesome game plan! I love it.

I have a spot on the second table that I was thinking of putting an elevator up to a second shelf level later on, which will kinda make part of the second table look like a cutaway of a cave. So I am curious what your stalagtites will be hanging from.

What size space are you thinking? Based on my tables so far at 56"x32" one suggestion I have is go a little wider than 32". Maybe 36" as the turn radius on these trucks kinda makes things a little scrunched up. But I sacrificed space for the ability for my kid to reach the back corner. It is already a bit of a stretch for him. The size of mine was also based on my area I have to work with.

What size space are you thinking? Based on my tables so far at 56"x32" one suggestion I have is go a little wider than 32". Maybe 36" as the turn radius on these trucks kinda makes things a little scrunched up. But I sacrificed space for the ability for my kid to reach the back corner. It is already a bit of a stretch for him. The size of mine was also based on my area I have to work with.

I have a healthy sized work surface, 48"×96" it used to be one of my work tables from the office, when we bought more equipment the boss decided to get rid of it to make space, I've got two of them in my garage. Need to keep one as a work bench though. :)

Awesome game plan! I love it.

I have a spot on the second table that I was thinking of putting an elevator up to a second shelf level later on, which will kinda make part of the second table look like a cutaway of a cave. So I am curious what your stalagtites will be hanging from.
I was thinking of building another table top for the roof, then I could attach foam to the bottom and still have somthing strong enough to mount the black lights to. It also gives me an upper level for the real world terrain, and another crawler course. :) basically like bunk beds.

Back