2 speed tranny question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clockwise to richen, counter-clockwise to lean...for the needles.

As for cars remaining running...that is dependent on how well you have it tuned and any number of other issues. A properly tuned engine will run until it can not get fuel. That said, there are too many variables involved to name each and every one of them.

As for multiple posts to get your answers, that is what the forum is for. You are not annoying anyone...to my knowledge. One tool on the site that might prove useful is the search feature. Some of your questions are already answered...some are not; but you will never know unless you do a search and some research. If nothing turns up, then ask away.

Now, my turn...

If your engine stopped running smoothly when the temperature changed, that is normal. Temperature changes require adjustments to your tuning. When it gets colder, you need to richen things up a little. When things get hotter, you need to lean things up a little. Humidity changes can also affect the tune. Altitude changes can affect the tune. Anything that changes the density of the air around you (like a storm front or other act of nature) can affect the tuning and will require some fine tuning to get the engine running smoothly again.

Also, a busted up glo-plug (much like a faulty spark plug in a real car) can cause the engine to run poorly.

(rest of post cut)

Don'tcha mean clockwise to lean/counter clockwise to richen, Skymaxx? :bling:

Anywho Cupooterluvr, it's easier if you think of the needles as what they really are; adjustable restriction valves. As you screw the needle in (clockwise), you're tightening the valve up, allowing less fuel volume to flow through.

Skymaxx pretty much nailed the basics of engine tuning in his post; aside from the liquid fuel, they also run on oxygen, drawn in and mixed to a certain ratio (adjusted by tuning the needle valves). This is why keeping your air filter clean and treated is such a huge deal. Too dirty of a filter, and it will draw less oxygen, and therefore more fuel, causing a severely rich condition, which will lead to poor performance, or even the popping of glow plugs.

One last thing; because the filter foams have to be oiled after being cleaned, you will have to retune the engine a little afterwards. Otherwise, it could result in a lean (less oil used than last time) or severely rich (more oil used). Usually the retuning is less than an 8th of a turn on either needle.

Um... Yeah. Anybody with know-how on nitro rc please email me so I can ask more about my car without annoying everyone with my multiposts.

P.S. BUMP!
You can also use the search engine at the top right of the screen. Youll find alot of useful tips and questions already answered that ya may have.

WOT = Way open throttle. Means the thing is full throttle.

It can also mean Wide Open Throttle.

Additionally, as Heartbreak mentioned, I think Skymaxx has been on the ground too long because it is counterclockwise to richen and clockwise to lean.

As for cars remaining running...that is dependent on how well you have it tuned and any number of other issues. A properly tuned engine will run until it can not get fuel. That said, there are too many variables involved to name each and every one of them.

As for multiple posts to get your answers, that is what the forum is for. You are not annoying anyone...to my knowledge. One tool on the site that might prove useful is the search feature. Some of your questions are already answered...some are not; but you will never know unless you do a search and some research. If nothing turns up, then ask away.

Now, my turn...

If your engine stopped running smoothly when the temperature changed, that is normal. Temperature changes require adjustments to your tuning. When it gets colder, you need to richen things up a little. When things get hotter, you need to lean things up a little. Humidity changes can also affect the tune. Altitude changes can affect the tune. Anything that changes the density of the air around you (like a storm front or other act of nature) can affect the tuning and will require some fine tuning to get the engine running smoothly again.

Also, a busted up glo-plug (much like a faulty spark plug in a real car) can cause the engine to run poorly.

Wouldn't that be kind of contradictory, since lean makes it hotter and rich cooler...

But ok Thanks for the info guys, big help!

(lol funny>>>:OMG: )

Leaning when it's hot out does kind of sound redundant (to say the least), but there is sound science behind it. When it's hot out, you're getting less air in the engine than when it's cooler out.

The easier way to deal with tuning (and the way I do my engines) is to just richen your needles up about a half turn each (or reset to factory), and re-lean down from there. It takes a moment, but in the end, it's safer (and less stressful, which means you won't need a toupee in the foreseeable future) than trying to guess which way you should go with the needles.

In the end tho, your "final" settings for that day will be different on a colder (richer) or hotter (leaner) day.

Now that you have all picked my post apart...oops!

Yes, I had the needle thing backwards. Mind must have slipped.

Yes, WOT can also be wide open throttle.

No, it is not contradictory. When it is hot out, the air density is less...thus you need to lean the fuel mixture to keep the air to fuel mixture the same. When it is cold out, the air density is more...thus you need to richen the fuel mixture to keep the air to fuel mixture the same.

Yes, old pros make mistakes...the good ones admit it when they do.

As for the rest of the mockery...accepted from the other veterans. Caution to the newbie...if you know the answer, then do not ask the question. If you do not like the answers given...then seek help elsewhere...:D

Anything else...

Oh, and yes, I am pissed that I made a mistake...it happens, I'll get over it.

:goodpost: :sneaky: That's the thing, though. I don't know the answers. I just have a weird (and sometimes rude) way of getting them. But thanks again!

Umm... is it ok to bump threads? Because I did lol

If the question has been answered, what is the point of bumping your own thread without adding any pertinent information? Is this an attempt at spamming yourself?

well, nobody has told me how they work yet.

The basics of the two-speed transmission...

Essentially, the transmission spins up to whatever rpm your engine can generate through the drivetrain. When the transmission reaches its shift point, it automatically switches to second gear. When the rpms drop down below the shift point, it drops down into first gear.

You can mess with the shift point by following whatever the directions for your particular ride might be with regards to adjusting the shift point. A word of caution, if you adjust it the wrong way, you may never see it shift as you can easily set the shift point beyond the rpm capability of the drive train.

If you want the exact physics of how it shifts on its own and the like, I suggest googling it or looking into fly-wheel based transmissions.

Does that answer your question?

-SkyMaxx

Not really but thanks for taking the time to write.

What exactly are you looking for? You asked how the tranmission works...how much detail do you want?

exactly that-- how it works, but I can't find anything elsewhere >_<

Sorry.

Are you able to comprehend the english language? Every question you have asked on this thread has been answered with Sky just going into detail with his answer. you've confused a couple of us in another thread and you're doing it here as well. What exactly is it you don't understand?

uh... how my own mind works, but other than that i dont know..... I'm sorry, but I'm that much of a newb...........

Do you know what a fly-wheel is? Do you understand that your transmission is made up of multiple gears on an axle or two? Do you know what an rpm (rotation per minute) is? How little or how much you already know will determine how much detail a person has to go into in order to explain something to you.

I can not say, specifically, how the 2-speed on your buggy works. I can not find a whole lot of information on your buggy to begin with. All I can tell you are basic concepts used in making a transmission in an RC. I already explained that above. If you have more questions regarding that explanation, then fire away...otherwise, your question has been answered.

Thanks, guys your answers did help. Also skymaxx I don't know how I was stupid enough to not search for it before. I found my answer on another site, thanks.

That came out more rude than apologetic, didn't it? Sorry if it did.

No worries, please share the answer you found so that we can better answer the next person who asks this kind of question. If you could post the link, that would be great.