Help needed, issues with Jato transmission.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydiaz1993

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
Hey guys, so as you know I converted my Nitro Rustler to a 2 speed with the Jato tranny. It's been running for about a month now with great power and speed (65+mph) however yesterday I was doing speed runs and out of nowhere the tranny started doing really weird noises, and it kinda lags on 1st gear. Once it hits 2nd it runs great so I tried adjusting the 1st gear to see if I can get it to hit 2nd quicker but it is still making the same noise even with 2nd gear hitting faster...has anyone experienced this before? Am I looking to replace the inside of the tranny maybe?
Tomorrow I will post a video with the car on so you guy can further analyze maybe you're catching something I'm not?

Hey guys, so as you know I converted my Nitro Rustler to a 2 speed with the Jato tranny. It's been running for about a month now with great power and speed (65+mph) however yesterday I was doing speed runs and out of nowhere the tranny started doing really weird noises, and it kinda lags on 1st gear. Once it hits 2nd it runs great so I tried adjusting the 1st gear to see if I can get it to hit 2nd quicker but it is still making the same noise even with 2nd gear hitting faster...has anyone experienced this before? Am I looking to replace the inside of the tranny maybe?
Tomorrow I will post a video with the car on so you guy can further analyze maybe you're catching something I'm not?

Sounds like the one-way-bearing for first gear is going bad and slipping, especially since it's fine once second engages. Can probably replace just that part and you'll be fine.

Sounds like the one-way-bearing for first gear is going bad and slipping, especially since it's fine once second engages. Can probably replace just that part and you'll be fine.
I will run it tomorrow morning to check and see if it still makes the noise if it does I'm going to open it up and see what's happening.. I've also ordered the one way bearing, and the 1st and 2nd gear just in case they need to be replaced.
I was looking into getting the Hot Racing steel gears but $90 is a little steep compared to the plastic gear prices ($7.00-$8.00) I'm not sure if the price difference is worth the change from plastic to steel but if you guys have more knowledge on it I will like to hear your opinion on whether is worth it or not...
Thanks in advance ! 👍

not sure if the price difference is worth the change from plastic to steel

I wouldn't recommend it even if it were free. It would be a downgrade imo; more inertia in the driveline would reduce acceleration, you'll be wearing down the teeth on the clutch bell more quickly, it'll be louder...

I read an interesting breakdown of metal to metal, plastic to plastic, and metal to plastic gear dynamics. To paraphrase, plastic gears deform slightly at the contact point, spreading the force out over more surface area on the gear tooth. This creates more friction however, which limits the RPMs they can spin at before heat buildup becomes an issue.

Metal gears have a much narrower contact point, concentrating the force, leading to quicker wear if not properly lubricated. They're louder, especially dry. Greasing exposed gears on an RC isn't an option because they'll quickly collect grit that wears them down.

With metal to plastic gearing, you get the best of both worlds; reduced friction, wear, and noise.

I wouldn't recommend it even if it were free. It would be a downgrade imo; more inertia in the driveline would reduce acceleration, you'll be wearing down the teeth on the clutch bell more quickly, it'll be louder...

I read an interesting breakdown of metal to metal, plastic to plastic, and metal to plastic gear dynamics. To paraphrase, plastic gears deform slightly at the contact point, spreading the force out over more surface area on the gear tooth. This creates more friction however, which limits the RPMs they can spin at before heat buildup becomes an issue.

Metal gears have a much narrower contact point, concentrating the force, leading to quicker wear if not properly lubricated. They're louder, especially dry. Greasing exposed gears on an RC isn't an option because they'll quickly collect grit that wears them down.

With metal to plastic gearing, you get the best of both worlds; reduced friction, wear, and noise.
First of all I truly appreciate you in taking your time to explain this to me, I didn't know any of this and very happy I went with the plastic ones again thank you! I truly hope this helps anyone with the same question as well 👍
Open it up and check what's wrong before ordering parts?
Let us know how it goes.
Makes complete sense to open it up before ordering parts, but if it Minimizes down time I rather have all the parts I need from the beginning, so if something is broken I'm able to replace it right away instead of waiting for the ordered part to arrive. You know?

So I was able to open it up and check it out today, nothing seemed to be broken I think something was just loose inside the tranny because I put it back together and it was running just fine, no more noise 👍

Here's a video of the car running cold (first run of the day) it still did a decent 59mph run. The tire popped so I have to glue it again and wait for it to seal right before re using but for now the transmissions noise problem is gone 😁👍