Safari Trailrunner of Doom!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the long post I Google and siri good crawler redcat GEN 7 pro and sport , exceed rc , axiel that RGT all keep coming up all have good reviews for a starter crawler.but I'm sure those are from a computer or some ASSHAT that got one to pass time at home during this whole BS the government has going on. But not going to spend money on a POS that has no part support or any at that. Yea they all look cool I'm not to knowledgeable with the electric battery side of things been running nitro till the last yr or so. Budget 2-400 RTR till I can get more knowledge of them. Don't need the top of the line first time out. Like to Get the feel for the differentdriven skills. Upgrades and what not good all around trail truck. That would be best don't want to be stuck in one aspect of the hobby. Would rather have a good solid all around rig. don't need the axiel night crawler it's more a rock jumper anyway.I got that in the X8s LOL. It's has just been balls out and sky high LOL. But yes definitely need something that very upgrade able.. I know alot about bashers and MT but these little guys got me lost like you guys putting on brass parts for counter bottom weight. That's amazing and cool. I love the customization of them. Alot more detail and thought. I feel is put into them then just throw batteries/fuel and see how fast and high I can get. Been wanting one for a while but after being on the forums couple month the urge to get one as grown tremendously. LOL so before I get another 1/5 scale. "The kra8 😉😉" and since you, Doom, turbohonda, Tunedpipe, Kimmie, chubaka all seem to be deep into the fun of crawling Figured I ask your opinions before I go and waste a bunch of $$$. On a pos I tend to go all in we all work hard I like to play hard. As well LOL what about the 24ths for the back yard ??? For 100-150 why not lol
@StonerRC365 Do you want a crawler that is a serious rock climber, or do you just want a nice trail truck that does a little of everything well. Both of my rigs are more trail truck, but fun as heck! Also what kind of budget do you want to stay in. @Xraycer has more experience with different brands so he might be better suited to answer, but I have been very happy with my Element RC Enduros.

Click here to see selection
I've been everywhere
Hobby Town
Dollar hobbies
Rc superstore
AMAINHOBBY.COM
Rc planet
Tower hobbies
Horizon Hobby
Just so many of them and not really sure what would be a good all around rig. That's got tons aftermarket part support. And upgrades. Because to me they all look cool as hell. If I had stupid $$ I would just buy each one of them all LOL

Last edited:
I've never ran a 24 scale but the wife and I plan to buy a couple SCX24s for this winter. They also would make great little rigs in camp.

I've never ran a 24 scale but the wife and I plan to buy a couple SCX24s for this winter. They also would make great little rigs in camp.
Yes definitely can pull a Jerry and build little trails indoor or in basement garage poop anywhere 🤔😀😉

Yes definitely can pull a Jerry and build little trails indoor or in basement garage poop anywhere 🤔😀😉
I have been going nuts looking at all the SCX24 hopups available. Just based on what I am seeing, anyone into RC that loves to hopup their rigs needs to get one. I can't believe I have waited this long. Mine was supposed to be here today. Grrr FedEx.

Sorry for the long post I Google and siri good crawler redcat GEN 7 pro and sport , exceed rc , axiel that RGT all keep coming up all have good reviews for a starter crawler.but I'm sure those are from a computer or some ASSHAT that got one to pass time at home during this whole BS the government has going on. But not going to spend money on a POS that has no part support or any at that. Yea they all look cool I'm not to knowledgeable with the electric battery side of things been running nitro till the last yr or so. Budget 2-400 RTR till I can get more knowledge of them. Don't need the top of the line first time out. Like to Get the feel for the differentdriven skills. Upgrades and what not good all around trail truck. That would be best don't want to be stuck in one aspect of the hobby. Would rather have a good solid all around rig. don't need the axiel night crawler it's more a rock jumper anyway.I got that in the X8s LOL. It's has just been balls out and sky high LOL. But yes definitely need something that very upgrade able.. I know alot about bashers and MT but these little guys got me lost like you guys putting on brass parts for counter bottom weight. That's amazing and cool. I love the customization of them. Alot more detail and thought. I feel is put into them then just throw batteries/fuel and see how fast and high I can get. Been wanting one for a while but after being on the forums couple month the urge to get one as grown tremendously. LOL so before I get another 1/5 scale. "The kra8 😉😉" and since you, Doom, turbohonda, Tunedpipe, Kimmie, chubaka all seem to be deep into the fun of crawling Figured I ask your opinions before I go and waste a bunch of $$$. On a pos I tend to go all in we all work hard I like to play hard. As well LOL what about the 24ths for the back yard ??? For 100-150 why not lol

I've been everywhere
Hobby Town
Dollar hobbies
Rc superstore
AMAINHOBBY.COM
Rc planet
Tower hobbies
Horizon Hobby
Just so many of them and not really sure what would be a good all around rig. That's got tons aftermarket part support. And upgrades. Because to me they all look cool as hell. If I had stupid $$ I would just buy each one of them all LOL
For versatility, I think the TRX-4 is a very good choice (though it is kind of on the expensive side). Here's a pro/con list I came up with for the TRX-4:

Pros:
- Bulletproof drivetrain
- High and low gears of the 2-speed have a lot of contrast (goes from very torquey to super fast instead of slow to slightly faster)
- Portal axles provide a lot of clearance
- Additional gear reduction in the portal axles
- Nice shocks (very smooth, good dampening, good adjustability, doesn't leak)
- No persistent mechanical issues with 2-speed or diff-lock mechanisms
- Very stiff chassis (doesn't flex and has good structural integrity)
- Good quality suspension links (rod ends made of good plastic, metal ball joints)
- Very grippy stock tires
- Great looking and durable stock body
- Very strong aftermarket support (to the point that you can build an entire TRX-4 out of aftermarket parts)

Cons:
- Recent price hike makes them more expensive than other crawlers
- Stock plastic servo horn strips easily
- 2075X stock servo is not sufficient for crawling; ok for trailing
- Internal BEC on stock ESC is only 1 amp (external BEC may be needed for stronger servos)
- Micro servos for diff-lock or 2-speed could potentially be an issue (had only 1 micro servo burn after about a year in one of my TRX-4s, but others have had more strip/burn out)

The SCX10 ii is a close second (referring to the RB's Kit).

Pros:
- Helical gears in the front and rear axles (smoother, quieter, more durable)
- Low CG (very hard to flip over)
- Bulletproof drivetrain
- Fairly stiff chassis (not as stiff as the TRX-4's but still very stiff)
- Very strong aftermarket support (perhaps even more than the TRX-4; also has lots of transmission options, with 2-speed, 3 position dig, etc.)

Cons:
- Has 540 motor restriction (550 size doesn't fit unless the battery tray is cut short or moved somewhere else)
- Plastic shocks aren't very nice
- Kind of noisy transmission (has fewer gears than TRX-4 yet much louder, but can easily be fixed with an aftermarket tranny)
- Plastic servo horn strips easily
- Rod ends of the links and shocks are pretty bad (plastic pillow balls and plastic used for both rod ends and pillow balls are soft and give a lot of resistance)

The TRX-4 and SCX10 ii are the only ones I've had experience with, but from the looks of it, the Element Enduro platform, Redcat Gen8 are also good options.

For versatility, I think the TRX-4 is a very good choice (though it is kind of on the expensive side). Here's a pro/con list I came up with for the TRX-4:

Pros:
- Bulletproof drivetrain
- High and low gears of the 2-speed have a lot of contrast (goes from very torquey to super fast instead of slow to slightly faster)
- Good quality suspension links (rod ends made of good plastic, metal ball joints)
- Very strong aftermarket support (to the point that you can build an entire TRX-4 out of aftermarket parts)

Cons:
- Internal BEC on stock ESC is only 1 amp (external BEC may be needed for stronger servos)
- Micro servos for diff-lock or 2-speed could potentially be an issue (had only 1 micro servo burn after about a year in one of my TRX-4s, but others have had more strip/burn out)

Pros:
- Bulletproof drivetrain
- Very strong aftermarket support (perhaps even more than the TRX-4; also has lots of transmission options, with 2-speed, 3 position dig, etc.)

Cons:
- Has 540 motor restriction (550 size doesn't fit unless the battery tray is cut short or moved somewhere else)
- Kind of noisy transmission (has fewer gears than TRX-4 yet much louder, but can easily be fixed with an aftermarket tranny)
- Rod ends of the links and shocks are pretty bad (plastic pillow balls and plastic used for both rod ends and pillow balls are soft and give a lot of resistance)

The TRX-4 and SCX10 ii are the only ones I've had experience with, but from the looks of it, the Element Enduro platform, Redcat Gen8 are also good options.
Thanks for the opinion. I was looking at the trx4 bronco. I. Not a redcat fan I have two that a coworker gave to me because the classic I got these but they don't run so if you want them there your. Ok cool two day and 150$ later both run just fine.that gen7 pro and sport always come up first in my searches.

I only have experience in scx10ii. With that said, I wouldnt mind a trx4. I think the trx4 has more clearence then the 10.2.

The axial, I bought the 2000 jeep cherokee kit. It came with the 2 speed optional tranny. I never bought the second gear, but it has handled a 27t, 20t, and 35t brushed and a 4450kv brushless all on 3s. I ran traxxas rx tx, axial brushed esc, 2007 mamba esc, and a tactical servo.

I also bought the ax10 transmission and dig. If you install it minus a part or two, you have a 2wd to 4wd via remote. In 10 runs I destroyed the gears. Replaced with plastic again and going strong. Next time steel gears.

I took it crawling, mudding, and on concrete, and construction sites. I pull a full size dolley, a good 40Ibs, with it. The only issue, my rear drive shaft would pop out. This was before the dolley and abuse. I actually enjoyed it at first, but after 4 or 6 months, the axle and wheel left the housing and took a different route.

I can tell you, axial first gen axles, you can mod it to lock and unlock via remote.

With that said, I still want a trx4, I think redcat has the International scout, and even an rc4wd truck.

Thanks for the opinion. I was looking at the trx4 bronco. I. Not a redcat fan I have two that a coworker gave to me because the classic I got these but they don't run so if you want them there your. Ok cool two day and 150$ later both run just fine.that gen7 pro and sport always come up first in my searches.
Redcat has really up their game in the last couple of years. I believe they are striving to get out of the entry level status.

Redcat has really up their game in the last couple of years. I believe they are striving to get out of the entry level status.
Yes they are really trying hard. But it's redcat lol. But their crawler pro /sport and the gen8 always come up for a good crawler. I still don't know about them I will continue to look threw out the week and figure something out

Pros:
- Bulletproof drivetrain

Cons:

Pros:
- Bulletproof drivetrain

Cons:

What about the TRX-4 sport

Last edited:
You didn't ask me, but....

Bang for buck, I see 2 options.

1) if you don't love to wrench as much as you love to drive.
Redcat Gen8 v2 for $300 is the easiest option out there. Put some $40 amazon brass portal covers on, add some lead tape to the front wheels, and it flat out rocks. The factory tires are iffy, but workable for my terrain. Jennys has trx canyon defenders for $40-ish, and they're incredible for the $$- especially after you cut the center lugs. Drop a $150 hobbywing fusion foc 1800kv motor/esc combo in and fugheddaboudit. It's a budget cheater at that point. Especially if you pull the heavy factory body off and put a truck cab on.
20210611_225415.jpg

2) wrenching is half the fun! Build a trx-4 sport kit. Under $300 (no motor or electronics). Add the fusion foc 1800kv from hobbywing and you'll be a Rockstar for around $450 all in.

I have to admit, the Redcat Gen 8 look pretty good, and has gotten pretty solid reviews.

The Traxxas Trx-4 platform is also excellent, that new Bronco really wanted me to buy it, but it was at the higher end of the budget. For the same amount of money I got my Element Sendero HD and a bunch of accessories to boot. In the long run I had more fun adding the extras to the Sendero than I would have with the Traxxas stock for the same money. Not to say that sometime down the road I won't be tempted again. That danged Traxxas Defender always has me tempted.

I think if I could have gotten my hands on an Axial SCX ii 6x6 I would have bit the bullet at the higher end of the scale, just because I really like it. Unimogs are like A-10 warthogs, so ugly they are beautiful! I wish Axial would offer something other than Jeeps in their new offerings.

All companies have their ups and downs, the bigger the name recognition, the bigger the price tag. But they are solid proven products. I kind of went with an underdog, it was my first 1/10 crawler/trail truck. I liked it enough to buy another of thier products, but would still like to try the others.

Fight the temptation to rush into it, find one that you love then do a background check on it.

The main problem is that most of them are badass!

As for the SCX24 mini's, just do it! :)

I'm still new to this too!

Last edited:
All these 6x6s. Give me an 8x8....... oshkosh m1070, am general m916. Something big with a detroit. 😎 not feelin the 6x6, although I saw a wrangler 6x6 on a car carrier that looked badass.

What about the TRX-4 sport
The TRX-4 Sport is exactly the same, except it doesn't have the 2-speed and diff-locks, so it should be even more reliable with fewer parts, and you can also upgrade the transmission and diffs down the line with conversion kits. And I agree with @Pat_ranch that the Sport Kit is a good option. You would likely need a better servo and ESC anyways, and there are a lot of radio systems better than the stock Traxxas ones (plus, the Sport Kit also comes with a metal servo horn stock, so that's also a good thing). Also, the tires come unglued, so you can pair them with a set of beadlocks as well.

All these 6x6s. Give me an 8x8....... oshkosh m1070, am general m916. Something big with a detroit. 😎 not feelin the 6x6, although I saw a wrangler 6x6 on a car carrier that looked badass.
I've seen a few 8x8s based on the TRX-6 platform. Extended chassis rails, and extra mid axle between the rear and mid axle of the 6x6. Or extended chassis rails on the front, extra front axle, and driveshaft diff cover for the second front axle.

Angry Tom And Jerry GIF by Boomerang Official
Jackee Harry Lol GIF by BrownSugarApp

I still want that 6x6! 🤣

6x6's are cheaters 🤣
But at least you can haul your 24's with them!
20210619_192254.jpg

This started as a trash6 Mercedes, but I got tired of the top heavy body rubbing everything. And unimogs are cool! I'd trade the mog body for a deuce and a half body, though.

I've been everywhere
Hobby Town
Dollar hobbies
Rc superstore
AMAINHOBBY.COM
Rc planet
Tower hobbies
Horizon Hobby
If you have the funds, want excellent performance, and Tons of aftermarket upgrades, then it's the TRX4 sport.

Sorry, this has taken over your thread @Doom! but this week be my last entry into selling the Redcat Gen8V2.
@StonerRC365 maybe you will find this video helpful
I don't mind a little derailing of the thread, I'm learning stuff, and it's becoming a crawler recruiting tool!
The more that join us, the more fun we will have! :)

Maybe we should start a club, Crawler Lovers of Doom! or C.LO.D. for short. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Back