Safari Trailrunner of Doom!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doom!

Team Dust Devil
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
Alrighty, here we go again. Got a new toy and it's time to start a new build log. :)

This week we are going to try something a little tamer while looking wild. We are going to turn an Element Enduro Trailrunner into a safari truck. I did a quick mock up of the basic look I'm after.
PSX_20210713_183617.jpg

This is the Trailrunner stock out of the box. The body is just sitting on top so it's not snugged down.

PSX_20210719_110344.jpg

PSX_20210719_110533.jpg

And what would a build thread be without being photobombed by one of my children!

PSX_20210719_110704.jpg

Stay tuned, more to follow. ;)

Last edited:
Liking the mockup. No sure if your painting or whatnot, but a roll of vinyl is usually under 10 on the bay.

@Chubaka I am actually going to try doing the stripes with vinyl, If I don't like it, I can always go back and paint. I have good 3M scraps of vinyl at work, so it's kind of a no brainer to give it a try. :thumbs-up:

Next up , belly armor! I added the front and center skid plates. I have been very impressed with Club 5's quality. Really nice stainless steel skids at a reasonable price. Me being the genius that I am, forgot to order the skid for my rear pumpkin. Never fear it's on it's way!

PSX_20210719_120133.jpg

PSX_20210719_121123.jpg

Now it's time to remove front bumper, and replace it with beefier bumper included with the kit. It's pretty cool that you can configure this front bumper three different ways with the provided kit parts.

PSX_20210719_115442.jpg

Of course I went for the beefiest version.

PSX_20210719_115307.jpg

Installed, body is still loose, to lazy to pin it down for photo.

PSX_20210719_120022.jpg

I also cut the rear end, and added the old bumper from my Sendero HD. The kit did not come with a rear bumper.

PSX_20210719_121324.jpg

This will eventually look better once I add a spare, and gas cans. ;)

Last edited:
Are you planning to make clear windows?

Will the license plates be that of California or Botswana? 🦁

Are you planning to make clear windows?

Will the license plates be that of California or Botswana? 🦁

No immediate plans for the windows, it actually has clear windows, the decals are slightly frosted and tinted. The problem is figuring out an interior. and right now I'm not feeling like tackling that. It is still an option for down the road if I need a project.

I hadn't decided on the plates yet, Cali plates for a wild animal park, or African plates for the Serengetti. Gonna have to think on that, might just come down to which one looks better. ;)

For interior, proline has a jeep cherokee, late model, and I m prerty sure one more.

The cherokee interior may be discontinued, but they have clones on ebay like $12.

going to was going to pm you and Doom today about a couple different crawlers. So not sure because so many to choose from and not a fan of REDCAT RACING BUT
REDCAT EVEREST GEN7 PRO/ SPORT
EXCEED RC
AXIEL RC NIGHT CRAWLER
RGT RC
Can find them all on Amazon but probably won't order from there but that where Google brought me evertime I hit one one of them I'm getting 1/10- 1 maybe 2 or 1) 1/10 and maybe a couple 1/24s just lost lol so what would you all go with out the list ??????

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210719-180822_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210719-180822_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20210719-180234_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210719-180234_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20210719-180125_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210719-180125_Google.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20210719-180051_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210719-180051_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20210719-180026_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210719-180026_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 42
REDCAT EVEREST GEN7 PRO/ SPORT
EXCEED RC
AXIEL RC NIGHT CRAWLER
RGT RC
Can find them all on Amazon but probably won't order from there but that where Google brought me evertime I hit one one of them I'm getting 1/10- 1 maybe 2 or 1) 1/10 and maybe a couple 1/24s just lost lol so what would you all go with out the list ??????
While a lot of those trucks look cool, they don't come with great features like porter axles, beefy components and good tires. Stock parts availability and aftermarket support is something else to also consider.
Of the rigs you've listed, the Night Crawler is the only one with a solid reputation, but it is also unlike the others, in that it is not a scale crawler. It's not my cup it tea, but if you're good with that, then that's the one I would recommend, out of the ones you've listed.
I would highly recommend the Redcat Gen8 V2. Absolutely best bang for the buck!

@StonerRC365 Do you want a crawler that is a serious rock climber, or do you just want a nice trail truck that does a little of everything well. Both of my rigs are more trail truck, but fun as heck! Also what kind of budget do you want to stay in. @Xraycer has more experience with different brands so he might be better suited to answer, but I have been very happy with my Element RC Enduros.

Click here to see selection

Thumbs up for the Redcat's. I have the Gen 7 "modified" and a Everest 10 "completely stock" other than a jeep body.
All of this are nice rigs for just trails and a little bit of climbing like mentioned above but not so great on heavy duty stuff.
I would also look into the SCX10 II kit. I'm building one as we speak and another one I am building based on the SCX10.
I am very impressed with them so far.
This one started out as a Gen 7 but modified and the yellow Jeep is the wife's Everest 10.
I'm going to paint up a new body for her because the first one was a rookie mistake and I used the wrong paint.
As you can see, it's peeling.

IMG_1060.JPG
IMG_1061.JPG

Thumbs up for the Redcat's. I have the Gen 7 "modified" and a Everest 10 "completely stock" other than a jeep body.
All of this are nice rigs for just trails and a little bit of climbing like mentioned above but not so great on heavy duty stuff.
I would also look into the SCX10 II kit. I'm building one as we speak and another one I am building based on the SCX10.
I am very impressed with them so far.
This one started out as a Gen 7 but modified and the yellow Jeep is the wife's Everest 10.
I'm going to paint up a new body for her because the first one was a rookie mistake and I used the wrong paint.
As you can see, it's peeling.

View attachment 129835View attachment 129836
That Jeep looks like perfect paint peel for some rust areas. Don't replace it. Weather it!

Back