Project: Gypsy King

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustnWynn

RCTalk Racer
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Gonna try and keep this short and sweet so we can get on to the discussion!

So here's what I got:
20240214_200300.jpg

This is a Maisto Rockzilla (I know I know... it's just a toy, not worth it. Just having fun here 😁).
I've already talked about it a little bit over in the electronics and the suspension. But basically.. I want this to be my all around good time rc. I'll be converting everything to a 3s lipo except the motors. I know they'll burn out eventually, I'll just change them then. I've got the rx and the steering servo already. Just wating on the esc to arrive via amazon.

Took a while to find a body that would fit, but turns out the clodbuster is a pretty close fit. So I'll be going with this one:
Screenshot_20240215_160624_Chrome.jpg

The Ford B50
But I will be hollowing out the bed so that it can carry a dirt bike. I've been checking out color pallets for the shell with my map pencils and I think I came up with a pretty good one:
20240217_114824.jpg

I want to pay homage to the fantastic 70s paint jobs, with all the earth tones, while updating to more modern times with the really bright neon colors right beside the duller brown. I'm thinking gold trim around the brown as well. (I really get into the art side of this hobby if you couldn't tell 😆)
The idea is to have two different set-ups. One for bashing with the original shell. Different wheels and tires. Then the "nice one" for trail riding and hauling.

I'll also be mounting custom shock mounts to Gypsy so I can upgrade the suspension. So stay tuned for that.
20240216_133912.jpg

That about covers it for now. But obviously I'll be back as I progress. This thread will be an excellent way to keep track on my progress 👍

I welcome ANY AND ALL comments, advice, or constructive criticism. I'm super new to all this so i will be asking a metric ton of question too. Lol
Thanks for letting me hang with yall...
Cheers
-Justin

Following this thread. I’ve thought about doing something similar to a go kart cheapo rc car I found at goodwill

Awesome project. Love those colors. Looking forward to seeing your progress with this. Thanks for sharing pics 😁

I'm feeling ya on the retro gold/brown hues, but come on man. You got the red and orange pencils in the wrong order. Here, I fixed it for ya 🤪
Untitled97_20240217174616.png

One thing about this project, if it doesn't hold up, you can always swap all the good parts over to a different chassis later on. It's all fun.

I'm feeling ya on the retro gold/brown hues, but come on man. You got the red and orange pencils in the wrong order. Here, I fixed it for ya 🤪
View attachment 182050

One thing about this project, if it doesn't hold up, you can always swap all the good parts over to a different chassis later on. It's all fun.
HA! I guess I did. Thanks again, sir

Doin some digging last night. Think I found my colors and paint scheme:
17082281995609150505212616318287.jpg

Me and the wife also have our vintage dirt bike team. This our "logo" for that:
images.png

So what I would like to do is change the colors of the sad face and use it to replace the rising sun in the colored pallet picture.
I'm sure this can be done on the computer pretty quickly... but I'm still using map pencils over here so cut me some slack 😆

Last edited:
just a smallish update here.
i got some tools in! so i can finally get the wheel off of this thing properlly instead of taking off the entire A arm:
1000000338.jpg

1000000340.jpg

still waiting on the ESC though. so nothing else to report.
ill most likely be taking a break from this one since i had another one of mine break and its a great time to upgrade. plus it might be easier than building something from scratch like this one will be.
doesn't mean i'm not still building it in my head (i do all my projects in my head about a thousand times before i actually do them. lol)
I've been looking at some custom shock mounts, and i'm pretty sure everything for the axial scx10 suspension... i can make work i think.
either way.. you can count on me coming back to this one!

Back