Who was wrenching today??? What did you do??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a fan of the Traxxas Canyon Trail crawl tires for their performance and cheap price point. However, it cost about twice as much to buy the tires without the rims, than it is with them pre-installed on the plastic rims 😒
I've never attempted to remove tires from glued on rims, so this will be first time doing so. I've watched a number of YT vids, and I've decided to try the easiest method I've heard about: acetone. Not the bath version, but just having the wheels exposed to the fumes. I'd started this late last night, so I'll see what happens at the 24 hours mark.

I'm a fan of the Traxxas Canyon Trail crawl tires for their performance and cheap price point. However, it cost about twice as much to buy the tires without the rims, than it is with them pre-installed on the plastic rims 😒
I've never attempted to remove tires from glued on rims, so this will be first time doing so. I've watched a number of YT vids, and I've decided to try the easiest method I've heard about: acetone. Not the bath version, but just having the wheels exposed to the fumes. I'd started this late last night, so I'll see what happens at the 24 hours mark.
I've done the acetone bath and baking them. Baking them works but its a PITA and you better have some good heat resistant gloves.

Acetone bath was easier but that stuff is nasty to work with. I have to wear a respirator when I use that stuff and I feel like I can't breathe wearing a respirator so I pretty much stopped using it. Plus it destroyed the foams. Not that you can't buy more. Never tried just the fumes.

I have never tried this either. So I would be curious to see your results and how you set it up.

I've done the acetone bath and baking them. Baking them works but its a PITA and you better have some good heat resistant gloves.

Acetone bath was easier but that stuff is nasty to work with. I have to wear a respirator when I use that stuff and I feel like I can't breathe wearing a respirator so I pretty much stopped using it. Plus it destroyed the foams. Not that you can't buy more. Never tried just the fumes.
Luckily, I have a large shed to do this in. But, yeah, those fumes are overpowering!

I looked up ca a remover and it says it is nitroethane. Sounds like the procedure is pretty much the same as acetone though. 🤔

Just at the end of my Sunday morning craw with the club. I got a vine wrapped around my front axle I gunned it forward and it spun the back tires only.
last night I noticed the bolts had come loose in the front ring gear. So I tightened them up. I think they had actually stretched. Because today they snapped.
I did get the three stubs of threaded bolt out of the carrier. That was luck.
That was my wrenching for the day.

One of the places we crawl is at Brownlee reservoir and the Snake River. The disadvantage of that is once in awhile we get ahold of some fishing line and it plays hell with axles.

One of the places we crawl is at Brownlee reservoir and the Snake River. The disadvantage of that is once in awhile we get ahold of some fishing line and it plays hell with axles.
Fishing line are like double edged swords. They can be so evil!

They do but honestly it doesn't bother me. I'm kind of weird that way, I don't mind spending more money on it and I love the wrenching.
"Please refer to my bottom signature" ;)

I havent worked on anything in like a week and a half...Just aint been in to it for some reason. I think cuz I've been wrapped up in playing Cyberpunk 2077 on my PC.

I got fishing line tangled up in El Diablo the first time I took it out. What a nuisance.
See? We were just talking about the evils of fishing line in one of the other thread. Just ask this guy...😁
0627201606.jpg

Got the front end back together. I think these bolts stretched. I replaced them with hardened bolts. These look like chrome.

Attachments

• 0186958D-6015-402B-901A-0EA8655B813C.jpeg
    0186958D-6015-402B-901A-0EA8655B813C.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 26