traxxas stempede vs traxxas x max

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first ever hobby grade RC was a Stampede 2WD. It wheelies like crazy se you'll need to get a wheelie bar. Overall I'm glad I got it for my first hobby grade. But the Bandit, Stampede, Rustler and Slash are all really good options for a first hobby grade. If you're specifically looking for a monster truck then the Stampede 2WD isn't half bad. But if you have a higher budget I would go with a Maxx (you would still need to get batteries and a charger though.) I think an X-Maxx is just to big to start out with. But that's just my two cents

My first ever hobby grade RC was a Stampede 2WD. It wheelies like crazy se you'll need to get a wheelie bar. Overall I'm glad I got it for my first hobby grade. But the Bandit, Stampede, Rustler and Slash are all really good options for a first hobby grade. If you're specifically looking for a monster truck then the Stampede 2WD isn't half bad. But if you have a higher budget I would go with a Maxx (you would still need to get batteries and a charger though.) I think an X-Maxx is just to big to start out with. But that's just my two cents
In my experience, the 2wd line is super weak and requires tons of upgrades to make it somewhat durable. The Arrma Granite 3s is absolutely perfect out of the box in my experience. My Slash 2wd is currently sitting as a slider because I have no idea what to do with it.

Last edited:
In my experience, the 2wd line is super weak and requires tons of upgrades to make it somewhat durable. The Arrma Granite 3s is absolutely perfect out of the box in my experience. My Slash 2wd is currently sitting as a slider because I have no idea what to do with it.
The only upgrades I've had to make are aluminum caster blocks and shock caps, an RPM front bumper and a wheelie bar. And it being my first RC it got lots of abuse

The only upgrades I've had to make are aluminum caster blocks and shock caps, an RPM front bumper and a wheelie bar. And it being my first RC it got lots of abuse
But, you shouldn’t need upgrades right out of the box like that. The caster blocks are terrible, a low speed collision destroys them, the stock shock caps have been fine for me. The Granite is perfect right out of the box and doesn’t need any immediate upgrades like the Traxxas 2wd line (except drywall tape and Shoe Goo which is a normal,thing all MTs need).

Sorry for linking that 2wd stampede, I didn't know about the problems, so thanks for informing me. The granite looks solid for the money. I have always been a 1/8 buggy guy, so I am not really in the know about mt's.

Sorry for linking that 2wd stampede, I didn't know about the problems, so thanks for informing me. The granite looks solid for the money. I have always been a 1/8 buggy guy, so I am not really in the know about mt's.
It’s all good, I love 1/8 buggies!

Thanks man! On that note, would the OP consider a 1/8 buggy? they can take one hell of a beating (the strongest type of car) and come back begging for more. They also have exceptional handling which is nice for a beginner.

Thanks man! On that note, would the OP consider a 1/8 buggy? they can take one hell of a beating (the strongest type of car) and come back begging for more. They also have exceptional handling which is nice for a beginner.
I got an Arrma Typhon 3s that can take a beating, it’s super strong right out of the box, and it’s budget friendly.

Yeah buggies ftw!! I have a nitro buggy but apparently the typhon is a beast. My first choice for an E buggy definitely!

Yeah buggies ftw!! I have a nitro buggy but apparently the typhon is a beast. My first choice for an E buggy definitely!
I want to get a Losi 8ight as my next RC since I want to get into nitro. The Typhon 6s is definitely a better choice compared to the 3s, but the 6s parts cost way more, and it‘s harder to maintain.

I have got a rtr nitro buggy (tried to convince myself to spend less)... have already got 700 dollars into it making it a high end race/bashing weapon lol. The 8ight looks a beast!

But, you shouldn’t need upgrades right out of the box like that. The caster blocks are terrible, a low speed collision destroys them, the stock shock caps have been fine for me. The Granite is perfect right out of the box and doesn’t need any immediate upgrades like the Traxxas 2wd line (except drywall tape and Shoe Goo which is a normal,thing all MTs need).
Our Granite has gone through 4 rear axles. At first, I thought it was running in grass that was killing them. But the last time out separated another brand new axle in loose dirt. CVD's are $45/pair, and highly recommended.

Our Granite has gone through 4 rear axles. At first, I thought it was running in grass that was killing them. But the last time out separated another brand new axle in loose dirt. CVD's are $45/pair, and highly recommended.
Loosen the slipper clutch, only one popped out on ours, but that was because I set the slipper too tight. It could also be from landing on the throttle.

The only one of those that was right out of the box was the wheelie bar. Took me maybe two months to break a caster block. Maybe I'm just not as abusive a driver as I thought I was 🤷‍♂️

The only one of those that was right out of the box was the wheelie bar. Took me maybe two months to break a caster block. Maybe I'm just not as abusive a driver as I thought I was 🤷‍♂️
My cousin hit my Slash with this Senton and it broke, it wasn’t a hard hit, his Senton just slid on the side of the body. Another time was when my uncles were using my RC cars and accidentally hit the Slash with my Typhon 3s at full throttle. I have since upgraded to RPM since I’m a basher.

Loosen the slipper clutch, only one popped out on ours, but that was because I set the slipper too tight. It could also be from landing on the throttle.
I have adjusted the slipper properly. And since it happened on loose dirt, it definitely isn't the slipper causing it. We were just driving it on flat ground when it came undone. No jumps or crashes. It does fine on 75% throttle limit. But any time we set it to 100%, withing a minute or so it will separate a driveshaft. It's just too powerful for those cheap driveshafts and 3s.

were on earth is the stampede 220$ with charger and battery
i dont rly have a budget but the cheaper the easier to convince my parents
Its $230 for the brushed 2WD Stampede and it comes with a NiMH battery and a crappy charger. If its all you can afford to get your foot in the door then thats fine. You can always make upgrades as you go. The Brushless 2WD VXL Stampede is $330 and personally Id go for that one between these two although the $330 does not included a lipo battery or a charger. You can get a brushed 4WD Stampede as well as a brushless VXL 4WD Stampede but they are even more although if you can afford it most people generally prefer the 4WD models.

I personally wouldnt get too hung up on the whole this one is more durable than that one as long as what you're looking at is hobby grade. Theyre all gonna break and have various issues. They make after market parts that will typically fix any weak spots a particular rig may have.

I have adjusted the slipper properly. And since it happened on loose dirt, it definitely isn't the slipper causing it. We were just driving it on flat ground when it came undone. No jumps or crashes. It does fine on 75% throttle limit. But any time we set it to 100%, withing a minute or so it will separate a driveshaft. It's just too powerful for those cheap driveshafts and 3s.
Your Granite was definitely made on a Monday. My cousin’s has no issues so far.

Back