traxxas stempede vs traxxas x max

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbte

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
should i buy a x maxx or a stempede (I'm a newbie with a toy grade rn)
edit: can some1 recommend and tell me the pros and cons of each
Edit2: i am up for other car suggestions

Last edited:
Theyre both great kits but an Xmaxx is a 1/5 scale and the stampede is a 1/10 scale so theres a huuuuuuuge size difference here. if you go stampede get the 4wd stampede.

This isnt Apples to apples.. Honey Crisp...This is a 1/6 scale 10 pounds beast to a good 1/10 scale. If your budget is more free Id get the Maxx a 4x4 pede is also a great rc.. do you want speed? maxx.. do you want go anywhere thats both,, 2 cell v 4 cell ..1/10 vs 1/6 scale.Id get the maxx

X-Maxx if you have the room. Stampede is best for smaller areas. An Arrma Kraton 6s is also a good choice! But, what is your budget?

Theyre both great kits but an Xmaxx is a 1/5 scale and the stampede is a 1/10 scale so theres a huuuuuuuge size difference here. if you go stampede get the 4wd stampede.
if i get a stampede id get a 4x4 vxl

if i get a stampede id get a 4x4 vxl
TL;DR: In my opinion, the Granite 3s is a much better truck than the Stampede 4x4 VXL.

I recommend the Arrma Granite 3s instead, it’s super durable and pretty cheap! My cousin has one, and he’s very reckless when using it, he hasn’t broke anything yet after using it for 2 weeks in cold weather. It’s also super fast out of the box! The motor and esc never overheat in the Granite due to the electronics being perfect for the application unlike the Stampede’s electronics. My Slash 2wd vxl overheated super quickly with light running and on 3s with stock gears.

I would get the stampede because you are just starting out in the hobby. Don't get the xmaxx cause it is $1000, wayyy bigger, and you have to spend more on batteries and a charger.

I would get the stampede because you are just starting out in the hobby. Don't get the xmaxx cause it is $1000, wayyy bigger, and you have to spend more on batteries and a charger.
Well, since they were deciding on the Stampede or X-Maxx, I assume they have the budget for the batteries and charger.

I have both and like a Lays Potatoe chip, you can't eat just one.;)

This isnt Apples to apples.. Honey Crisp...This is a 1/6 scale 10 pounds 19 pound beast to a good 1/10 scale. If your budget is more free Id get the Maxx a 4x4 pede is also a great rc.. do you want speed? maxx.. do you want go anywhere thats both,, 2 cell v 4 cell ..1/10 vs 1/6 scale.Id get the maxx
Updated it for you :)
The Xmaxx is 19.1 pounds according to Traxxas

I remember you from your other thread! First off, IIRC (no offense or anything) you were trying to get the best bang-for-your-buck, and weren't looking to spend a ton of money. The Stampede is $200 without batteries or a charger, and $220 with a battery and charger. The Xmaxx is $1000 without batteries or a charger, you'll have to buy those separately, expect $200+ for non-Traxxas batteries and charger (s, if you don't get a dual charger, or want to be able to charge both 4s batteries for the Xmaxx at the same time), and $320+ if you're using Traxxas' ok batteries and chargers (they aren't bad, nor very good, just ok). Now, I'm not trying to deter you from the Xmaxx, just warning you that the monster fun and power comes at a cost. Arrma cars are also very popular, and the Team Associated Rival MT10 (RTR) is a newer, popular 1/10 scale, brushless 3s LiPo, monster-truck style basher. It's pretty durable too from what I've heard, it's like a less aggressive, ;ittle less powerful, cheaper Traxxas Maxx (the MT10 is usually <$400). Some of the Arrma bashers may also suit you. What's your budget?

How big of an area are you running in? Some of these need some space for speed or just size.

Just a suggestion, find out the width and length of these trucks and use a tape measure to see how big they are if you are buying online.

The 2wd stampede was my first truck. Brushed first, then the second was brushless. Its a handful but fun, and can be quick. Durability depends on alot of factors. My trucks went through fazes where they would break parts, then not both in hot and cold weather.

I'm looking at Arrma next.

How big of an area are you running in? Some of these need some space for speed or just size.

Just a suggestion, find out the width and length of these trucks and use a tape measure to see how big they are if you are buying online.

The 2wd stampede was my first truck. Brushed first, then the second was brushless. Its a handful but fun, and can be quick. Durability depends on alot of factors. My trucks went through fazes where they would break parts, then not both in hot and cold weather.

I'm looking at Arrma next.
My slash 2wd is a mess, it constantly breaks so I have to upgrade everything to rpm to make it somewhat useable.

As someone who's first hobby grade RC was an Xmaxx, I would advise against that lol. I would look at an arrma granite or traxxas maxx. Both are still very fast and capable. But they'd be much better to learn on.

As someone who's first hobby grade RC was an Xmaxx, I would advise against that lol. I would look at an arrma granite or traxxas maxx. Both are still very fast and capable. But they'd be much better to learn on.
Can agree with the Granite 3s, it’s super easy to use and maintain. The parts for it are also super cheap and durable. One issue with it is the body, the bed cracks super easy and gets destroyed on bad landings but that’s only the body, only aesthetics. The Granite 3s right out of the box is a speed demon of an MT.

Last edited:
lol that's one heck of a starter Kyle! Not many people get to jump straight into the deep end of RC bashing with a 1/6 scale, nearly 20 pound, 50+mph MT! I agree, the Xmaxx would be a handful and perhaps a bit overwhelming, all the gear and no idea ya know! IMO the Maxx would be a little much too, but that would be a good starting point, as well as the Arrma Granite would be great too, along with the Big Rock, and maybe the newish Vorteks.

lol that's one heck of a starter Kyle! Not many people get to jump straight into the deep end of RC bashing with a 1/6 scale, nearly 20 pound, 50+mph MT! I agree, the Xmaxx would be a handful and perhaps a bit overwhelming, all the gear and no idea ya know! IMO the Maxx would be a little much too, but that would be a good starting point, as well as the Arrma Granite would be great too, along with the Big Rock, and maybe the newish Vorteks.

I broke it the first time driving it. And the second time... It has been a journey so far. But I've learned a lot in a few months. Plus starting out that big, kinda sucks since you can't work your way up to it lol.

I broke it the first time driving it. And the second time... It has been a journey so far. But I've learned a lot in a few months. Plus starting out that big, kinda sucks since you can't work your way up to it lol.
Newbie + Xmaxx + 8s = carnage! Now you'll basically have to work your way down to the smaller RCs 🤣🤣

Last edited:
I remember you from your other thread! First off, IIRC (no offense or anything) you were trying to get the best bang-for-your-buck, and weren't looking to spend a ton of money. The Stampede is $200 without batteries or a charger, and $220 with a battery and charger. The Xmaxx is $1000 without batteries or a charger, you'll have to buy those separately, expect $200+ for non-Traxxas batteries and charger (s, if you don't get a dual charger, or want to be able to charge both 4s batteries for the Xmaxx at the same time), and $320+ if you're using Traxxas' ok batteries and chargers (they aren't bad, nor very good, just ok). Now, I'm not trying to deter you from the Xmaxx, just warning you that the monster fun and power comes at a cost. Arrma cars are also very popular, and the Team Associated Rival MT10 (RTR) is a newer, popular 1/10 scale, brushless 3s LiPo, monster-truck style basher. It's pretty durable too from what I've heard, it's like a less aggressive, ;ittle less powerful, cheaper Traxxas Maxx (the MT10 is usually <$400). Some of the Arrma bashers may also suit you. What's your budget?
were on earth is the stampede 220$ with charger and battery
i dont rly have a budget but the cheaper the easier to convince my parents

Back