Traxxas Revo 2.5 to Brushless Conversion lot's of questions and help needed.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartek

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi,I love nitro engines but they got too expensive to run for me,all the glow plugs and nitro fuel,after run oils etc costed me lot's of money,even in one week I could use well over 1/2 gallon of nitro fuel if I was in mood... and that costed me nearly £20 for just one week of using it and then after I had fun with it all the maintenance etc takes really long especially for me as I like my rigs when they are really nice and clean...
and I also wanna something that I can just come back from school,plug in the batteries to the truck and have fun with no matter if it's hot or cold,I wanna something that doesn't need much maintenance as I don't have time for that any more because of bloody school :banned:
so I have decided that the only way it to go Brushless...
So I will use a Traxxas Revo on 3.3 chassis with few hop ups (more to come)
and convert it to BRUSHLESS by using a Tekno Revo Brushless conversion kit.
my budget is low cause it's only £300,just the conversion kit will cost me £100 so now my budget is tiny £200,that have to be enough for ESC and Motor...
I will be buying batteries and chargers later so for now all what I have to buy is conversion kit and motor plus ESC...

I want my Revo to go fast and do wheelies on demand for sure but also I wanna run at safe temperatures so ESC or Motor won't get fried...
I also don't wanna over charge my ESC with some super power full lipo's!
the Revo would be used pretty much every day so I need something durable with high specs and fun and easy to use as I'm complete newbie to Brushless and that's why I got to ask so many questions,so please help me out in which motor and esc should I use,the Revo would be used on road and off road and it will be used for just messing with it and for bashing not for racing.
so what Motor & ESC do you lot recommend me? and also what do I need to make it work?

21032009057r.jpg

21032009058.jpg

21032009059b.jpg

21032009060.jpg

21032009061.jpg

21032009062.jpg

21032009063w.jpg

21032009064.jpg

21032009065.jpg

21032009066.jpg

21032009067.jpg

The Revo has Forward only conversion,3.3 chassis,sway bar kit on front,stiffer springs on shocks,red anodized aluminum rods plus RPM bulkheads on rear,23mm hex's by Pro Line and also ProLine road rage tires but also got anther set of ProLines Bow Tires,it operates on Spectrum DX3.0 and Spectrum Receiver as well and weights about 4kg with all the radio equipment (no batteries),it has single steering servo XP Digital DS1313,not sure about gearing but possibly its stock.

thanks for help and for looking...

Last edited:
Thats one nice rig !!!

wait till u see what i got for the "Other" rig tho !!!

Is the..Ahem...GRP engine outa this ??

yes,My mate have taken care of it very well but and it was clean already but I just have to give it proper clean any way,it's me...
and it's not a nice rig,it doesn't even move:hehe:
but it will be.
I just can't believe that my friend give it to me for free,now I will have to buy something nice for him as well on his birthday.

Bartek, that Revo looks awesome! i know what you mean by nitro's costing a lot to run, thats why i only use electric now. I also know that its hard to pay for it when your at school, because i still am too. Anyway i find electric waaayyy more fun the nitro, because you dont have to keep tuning it for the different weather.

When you do buy the new parts, you will need to balloon the Esc, steering servo and the Reciever. But when you get the brushless motor, just to make sure nothing gets into it, i would buy this:http://www.bigsquidrc.com/outerwears-covers-the-electric-guys/
It will save you from wrecking the motor.

Good luck!

seems like must have and thanks...
this rig will only get nicer.
any Ideas on ESC and Motor?

okay I have read some info about brushless motors and what to look for etc and I have chosen a Brushless combo by Mamba Monster 1/8 Brushless ESC with motor for nearly £200,so next question is what is a best lipo battery to run this motor?
looking for something powerful but not overkill.

I'm looking at making my XTM X-cellerator a brushless, and i was looking at this motor:http://www.castlecreations.com/products/sidewinder.html
I'm not sure whether it would be alright in your revo, maybe someone else could help out with that. It comes with the ESC and motor. I was going to buy that, but my LHS have a brushless motor that they sell for £110 with the ESC, so I'm going to buy that instead. I will find out the make of the brushless motor the next time i go in there if you want.

I'm looking at making my XTM X-cellerator a brushless, and i was looking at this motor:http://www.castlecreations.com/products/sidewinder.html
I'm not sure whether it would be alright in your revo, maybe someone else could help out with that. It comes with the ESC and motor. I was going to buy that, but my LHS have a brushless motor that they sell for £110 with the ESC, so I'm going to buy that instead. I will find out the make of the brushless motor the next time i go in there if you want.

That engine is not powerful enough to move Revo like I want it to do...
did you ever see a Savage Flux video?if yes then you seen how much power they have and now imagine that kind of power in my Revo as Mamba Monster is same thing as Blur and Tork motor from what I know...
Blur_n_Tork.jpg

lcsec6202.jpg

Sorry, I'm not the experienced with motors. I was just trying to help you out.

Sorry, I'm not the experienced with motors. I was just trying to help you out.

didn't mean it like that,I'm just saying that sidewinder of mamba max is great to use in small scale or in OnRoad cars as their engines have about 5000kv,that's about 9t on brushed engine,if you wanna use motor for off road it should have 3000kv or less,the Mamba Monster comes with 2200kv motor which is made for 1/8 monster trucks and Mamba Max it great to use with buggies in 1/10 scale which are much lighter then Monster Trucks.

That engine is not powerful enough to move Revo like I want it to do...
did you ever see a Savage Flux video?if yes then you seen how much power they have and now imagine that kind of power in my Revo as Mamba Monster is same thing as Blur and Tork motor from what I know...
Blur_n_Tork.jpg

lcsec6202.jpg

Wow, I just looked up the price for that set up. The Combo is only $169.99 from Tower. I would have suggested the Castle Creations Monster Mamba too but big difference in price for sure.

dont listen to hyster he doesn't no what he is talking about, he dosent even own a r/c! get the HPI flux series!! lool

there are two systems at the same name BLUR...
there is one used in firestorm and other in Savage...
Savage flux is okay but that not what I wanna!

Last edited:
lol. listen to hyster he no's it all!!

the FLUX Torq is the same as the Mamba Monster

that's what I just said before...
is 2200kv fast enough to get Revo moving and doing wheelies on 3s lipo?

okay,I have just found out that Traxxas made new E-Revo which is brushless already with Mamba Monster and has two slots and that would allowed me to use two 3s lipos which would give me 65mph just like that...
damn it,is it worth it to convert this Revo to Brushless?

Since it was a "Free Gift" and since i "Think" i am financing this single handedly with all these parts and rigs i'm buying from you, then yes it IS worth doing the revo !!!! LOL :hehe:

I think so lol...
but I still can't find a answer for my question...
with Tekno conversion kit all what I could put in there is 3s lipo and I don't know if 3s lipo is powerful enough to get Revo rolling at high speeds and do wheelies on demand...

Back