The "What did you buy today?" thread...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How you like the new soldering station? I started trying out EC5 connectors...HATE em. The XT-90s are easier to work with but I hate the fact that they are only 4.5mm bullets compared to the 5mm bullets in EC5s

You guys have no idea the level of addiction my wife puts up with lol. I dont even post everything I buy. Sometimes i feel like my hobby isnt so much RC as it is
Oh man the new station is awesome very nice thanks man. A hell a lot better then my old solder pencil I was useing. Nice to have everything in one spot. And have temp controll so much easier.

How you like the new soldering station? I started trying out EC5 connectors...HATE em. The XT-90s are easier to work with but I hate the fact that they are only 4.5mm bullets compared to the 5mm bullets in EC5s
And the XT90s are definitely very easy to solder. I like the little cradle they have on them for the wire to solder too. Same with the XT60 but alot smaller lol

You guys have no idea the level of addiction my wife puts up with lol. I dont even post everything I buy. Sometimes i feel like my hobby isnt so much RC as it is buying RC stuff 🤣
LMAO 🤣🤣 I know the that felling. Just got this stuff. Christmas in July. For the X8s
New springs & shock covers.
RPM Rear hubs, RPM hinge pins
And pinon & sprus for the T/Emaxx build. LOL LOVE IT!!! LOL
16255039975924913762660085396625.jpg

LMAO 🤣🤣 I know the that felling. Just got this stuff. Christmas in July. For the X8s
New springs & shock covers.
RPM Rear hubs, RPM hinge pins
And pinon & sprus for the T/Emaxx build. LOL LOVE IT!!! LOL
View attachment 129121
Awesome. Parts are great...Hop ups are tha bees knees :)

I ordered treal c-hubs for my maxx 4S front, the stock ones flex and let the king pins pop out of the axle carriers. Also ordered 4 CNHL 6S 5000mah 40C lipo's to go 6S in the maxx. I couldn't gear it tall enough without overheating on 4S to clear the jumps I want with a bit of throttle left over. Even with the MMX/2200kv 1515 in it. :(

Also ordered some aluminum solder/flux stuff so I could make a 6S lipo out of a couple 3S lipo's. I've done this before on 8-10 different lipo's and never had an issue, but the tabs on these liperior cells will not take normal solder with normal flux. Really hoping the Uniweld P4KD9S works like others say it does or I just totally ruined a couple nice 3S 65C lipo packs.

My probodyRC body and unbreakable stickers off ebay showed up, haven't installed it yet:
2021-0706-maxx-probodyRC_Yellow_notMounted-stickers.jpg

Yellow and red shouldn't look too bad.

One Up Offroad traction bars.

I ordered treal c-hubs for my maxx 4S front, the stock ones flex and let the king pins pop out of the axle carriers. Also ordered 4 CNHL 6S 5000mah 40C lipo's to go 6S in the maxx. I couldn't gear it tall enough without overheating on 4S to clear the jumps I want with a bit of throttle left over. Even with the MMX/2200kv 1515 in it. :(

Also ordered some aluminum solder/flux stuff so I could make a 6S lipo out of a couple 3S lipo's. I've done this before on 8-10 different lipo's and never had an issue, but the tabs on these liperior cells will not take normal solder with normal flux. Really hoping the Uniweld P4KD9S works like others say it does or I just totally ruined a couple nice 3S 65C lipo packs.

My probodyRC body and unbreakable stickers off ebay showed up, haven't installed it yet:
2021-0706-maxx-probodyRC_Yellow_notMounted-stickers.jpg

Yellow and red shouldn't look too bad.

Interested as to how good those bodies are? Been thinking of the proline silverado for a winter project as the unbreakable super duty seems to be out.

Interested as to how good those bodies are? Been thinking of the proline silverado for a winter project as the unbreakable super duty seems to be out.
They aren't everyones favorite... but I like them.

Almost a year of abuse:
2021-0514-ERBEv2-LunsfordTieRods-bodyOn.jpg

Almost 2 years of abuse:
2021-0625-outcast-lovestrickenWingMount-bodySide.jpg

A little over a years worth of abuse:
2021-0604-stampede-motorSide-high-body.jpg

No tape/shoe goo or anything, but I do suggest roof skids or skids on top for the areas that contact the ground as the material is soft and will grind through pretty fast if you slide on concrete.

That yellow is going to look sweet with the red popping off it. NICE yeah you definitely need skids on top of bodies if your running on roads or bashing definitely helps. Fot them on my X8s

That yellow is going to look sweet with the red popping off it. NICE yeah you definitely need skids on top of bodies if your running on roads or bashing definitely helps. Fot them on my X8s
Going to irritate my brothers if they see it though... I'm from Iowa and they are all Iowa Hawkeye's fans, which is black and yellow:
52A_55X34.jpg

Anyone who loves the Iowa Hawks by default has to despise the Iowa State Cyclones... which is yellow and red:
1a02e8d1-4592-439c-8d75-a796a7255e26_750x422.jpg

I ordered treal c-hubs for my maxx 4S
What are treal hubs? is that a brand or a typo? just curious
Have you given any thought to buying one of those mini battery spot welders from amazon and spot welding the tabs together? Thats what i was going to try next time I had to repair a lipo. I've only soldered them before too. I bought the mini spot welder that I just linked and I've used it on some round cell lithiums but I havent tried it on any RC lipos yet.

New oversized battery for Wltoys A989
View attachment 129382
This picture cracks me up. I bet it will run forever on that :)

What are treal hubs? is that a brand or a typo? just curious

Have you given any thought to buying one of those mini battery spot welders from amazon and spot welding the tabs together? Thats what i was going to try next time I had to repair a lipo. I've only soldered them before too. I bought the mini spot welder that I just linked and I've used it on some round cell lithiums but I havent tried it on any RC lipos yet.

This picture cracks me up. I bet it will run forever on that :)
Treal is the brand. Pretty sure they use 7075 aluminum for most of their stuff. I have their servo saver in it now and it's really nicely machined.

I thought about those spot welders as I was sitting there fighting with it. Would maybe work ok for the tabs if you make 50 little spots, but you'd still have to deal with the balance leads and main power wires not sticking.

FWIW, this stuff did seem to work really well: Uniweld P4KD9S. The flux smelled something awful and smoked a lot. Also messed up my iron's tip pretty bad. I have a new tip coming in the mail and will just use this one for this solder kit.

I got the pack all soldered up and taped up. I didn't bother tearing another 2 apart because I was only trying to make the two for yesterday and since I didn't get the stuff until 8pm, I wasn't able to go run trucks anyway. Well, the maxx... but I didn't feel like going out this weekend by the time the weekend got here. The 4 CNHL's should be here tomorrow, so I'll be good to go for next weekend.

Treal is the brand. Pretty sure they use 7075 aluminum for most of their stuff. I have their servo saver in it now and it's really nicely machined.
Ahhh Thanks for the clarification.

I thought about those spot welders as I was sitting there fighting with it. Would maybe work ok for the tabs if you make 50 little spots, but you'd still have to deal with the balance leads and main power wires not sticking.
Could you not spot weld a small piece of nickle sheeting to the spots where the balance leads go (and main leads for that matter) and then solder to the nickle sheeting?

FWIW, this stuff did seem to work really well: Uniweld P4KD9S. The flux smelled something awful and smoked a lot. Also messed up my iron's tip pretty bad. I have a new tip coming in the mail and will just use this one for this solder kit.
Good to know. I filed that pro-tip away incase I ever need it :)