Stampede XL-5 run times

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theant

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Some runs out with the pede I will get around 20+ minutes run time on a fully charged 3000mah stock battery, and other times (such as today), I will get 15 minutes. Now, I realize that running conditions such as running on pavement vs grass can be a factor in run times, but can running on grass really shave 5-10 minutes off of a battery's run time? I admit, I barely let off of the throttle when I'm running the pede, but I run it this way almost every time! And in general i usually run in the same spot when I go for a quick one battery rip.

I guess my question here is: will running on pavement give you that much more run time vs running on short grass? My run times seem to be quite inconsistant.:\

Running on grass creates "friction" that will impede your momentum and restrict your power causing you to need more power for the same response/performances. I'm willing to bet if you pay attention to the throttle you will see you are using more when in the grass to get the same speed as when running on the pavement

Come to think of it, your probably right. When on the grass, I do tend to "gun" it alot more to get it going due to the rear tires spinning alot more rather than hooking up when on pavement. However, as I had mentioned, I usually run in the same spot that has grass and sidewalk and usually run it the same way every time. Yet the run times can vary by 5-10 minutes any given time out.

Another thing is heat. Heat destroys power, and sucks up energy. Running offroad/grass will cause your drive components to heat much more quickly than pavement.

Another thing is heat. Heat destroys power, and sucks up energy. Running offroad/grass will cause your drive components to heat much more quickly than pavement.

I did gear it down to the 16t pinion and that made a big difference with the heat. It gets warm after a hard run instead of getting hot afterwards...even on grass/offroad.

Anyways, 15-20 minutes is pretty good run time with the stock 3000mah batteries I'm sure.:D

I ran again this afternoon, and timed it this round....ended up with 18 minutes! Which I think is a pretty respectable run time. Maybe it was a fluke that I got over 20 minutes a few of the times, or maybe I was just running more on pavement the times that I did and just wasn't paying as close of attention. Whatever. I'm certainly not complaining since I have 2 stock batteries for the pede which gives me 35 - 40 minutes of bashing around in the back field.

Other question is: would having better tires ie. Trenchers or badlands yield longer than stock run times seeing as there would be better traction and less spinning on the grass?

Badlands may get better run times being as they are a light tire, the Trenchers MAY be heavier than what you have which would shorten the run time

Back