Tekno RC SCT410.3 1/10th 4WD Short Course Truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyUs

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
It seems like the SCT410.3 has been around for a long time. The platform came out in 2015, and had been on my "bucket list" of RCs to get. When Tekno lowered the price on their RCs this year, I knew it was time to jump onboard.

Thread was started for collective sharing, input, thoughts... just general discussion of the platform.

1665403595391.png
1665403843209.png

Specifications:
  • Length: 530mm
  • Wheelbase: 323-335mm
  • Width: 296mm
  • Weight: ~2850g (6.3lb) out of the box RTR
  • (RTR weight equipped w/ Tekin RX8, Pro4 motor, 300g battery, rx, etc)
  • Diff Ratio: F/R – 10/40t, Center – 44t
  • Battery tray dimensions: 50x148mm
  • Kit/RTR: Kit

Full Product Description can be found on Tekno RC's website...HERE.​

In order to run the latest recommended team setup, you need the following optional parts:
TKR6106 Orange LF Springs
TKR6114 Green LF Springs
TKR6018 composite shock caps (built to emulsion) OR TKR8702 Aluminum Emulsion Shock caps
TKR8027 Shock Stand Offs
TKR6051 8x1.3 pistons (drilled to 1.4mm)
TKR8104 .4 Bellcranks
TKR8100 .4 Ackerman Bar
TKR5545B HRC (High Roll Center) Hubs
TKR5163 V2 Aluminum Hinge Pin Brace "C Block" (others can stay composite)

Last edited:
I would love to build all the electric Tekno kits eventually, but it's just not in the budget right now. There have been a few Tekno builds on here, and I have followed them all. I have also watched quite a few build vids of Tekno kits. They look to be great kits, with very good instruction manuals, and they perform pretty darned awesome from what I have seen.

Stock Spring Rates:
Over the years of following the SCT410.3, I'm really surprised a running change has not been done to one key area on the truck... the springs.
tekno springs.jpg

The stock front springs, with shock spring collars adjusted to the top of the shock, won't allow for any lowering of ride height/adjustment. And then we have the rear springs that are overly too soft in my opinion. With the rear shock spring collars cranked almost all the way down, the springs will barely get the rear end to a "bones level" ride height. "Bones level", or "arms level", is where I always like to start with any RC when setting ride height. Usually, that mid point arms level setting is where I keep my RCs throughout their off-roading adventures.

Last edited:
"Bones level", or "arms level", is where I always like to start with any RC when setting ride height. Usually, that mid point arms level setting is where I keep my RCs throughout their off-roading adventures.
That's where I like to run mine too. The shock needs to have room to move either way to absorb both the bumps and dips in the terrain.

I would love to build all the electric Tekno kits eventually, but it's just not in the budget right now. There have been a few Tekno builds on here, and I have followed them all. I have also watched quite a few build vids of Tekno kits. They look to be great kits, with very good instruction manuals, and they perform pretty darned awesome from what I have seen.
Yes, money can be/is often the issue. I will save up enough funds, and in conjunction with special wife/family gift giving occasions, things sometimes work out for me into getting a new kit to build. I like to think that starting with good kit, rather than a RTR package, will save me/anyone money in the long run.

Very cool. I bought one when it was on sale a few months ago. Still in da box. 🤷‍♂️ Been wrenching, creating/building and having a blast with my other rigs. Bought too many at one time.. 😂

There's also a Tekno forum that has a lot of great ideas and info. :thumbs-up:

Can't wait to see your build as it progresses.

Good luck and have fun! 🍻😁✌️

Very cool. I bought one when it was on sale a few months ago. Still in da box. 🤷‍♂️ Been wrenching, creating/building and having a blast with my other rigs. Bought too many at one time.. 😂

There's also a Tekno forum that has a lot of great ideas and info. :thumbs-up:

Can't wait to see your build as it progresses.

Good luck and have fun! 🍻😁✌️
Yes, I'm apart of many online forums like the Tekno Forum as well. It's just that possibly somebody, that shows up in a more generalized RCTalk type of forum, gets searching and wanting to know more about the 410.3 platform. That's is the reasoning of starting this thread, and with correct spelling of Techknow, Teckno, Techno RC ;):D. And if you want more of a "racers type of feeling" on things... hop on over to a RC "Technical" forum. I really dislike FB groups and the way searches go within the system.

I bought mine (410.3) back on Father's Day, and finally opened the box a few weeks back. I enjoy taking a couple hours a night to put a new kit together. It took a week to build the kit at my pace 😆 . I like to savor the "the build" feeling for as long as possible without feeling like a "slacker".

Spring Choices:
What springs to go with?

I normally recommend everyone to build/run a new RC as per stock manual "recommended" setup sheet to get a feel for the RC platform first before doing any upgrades, or changing things around. Having read probably all/every SCT410.3 threads/posts out there... the one thing that stands out the most is those darn springs, and people having issues trying to get a more comfortable/usable ride height using stock coils. Back in the day, when Tekno was designing/testing the SCT410.3, I'm sure they were testing on some type of softer dirt, rather than higher traction clay... they had to be 🤷‍♂️.

For purposes of "trashing" (track bashing) my RCs, and having read hundreds of people's choices, I went with "standard frequency" Pinks (6035/6030) springs all the way around.
IMG_20220918_082910320.jpg

Yeah, "trashing" sounds even more destructive than what most people think goes on during an RC "bashing" session. I'm here to tell you that RC "bashing" is just anytime you are playing with your toy(s), and aren't at a sanctioned race event. I don't care if you're in a driveway/garage/parking lot/baseball diamond; RC going 15mph; RC doesn't even leave the ground... you're "bashing".

Last edited:
I stopped by a local RC shop awhile back and was inspired by the dirt track they had out back. I've been researching short course truck options, ever since. Most of my trucks are 1/24th and 1/10th comp crawlers, at this point. Finally settled on a Tekno SCT410.3 kit. I was excited to discover that there was a high end, affordable kit rather than the off the shelf pre built options. I also like to "savor the build". Ordered it from the same shop. Looking forward to the build. Already have a copperhead ESC to install, just need to find the right motor to match.

I've always thought that Tekno makes some great stuff but I have yet to own one. One of these days I might have to pick up the MT410
I'm not much of a monster truck type of person... too many wheelies and being top heavy I guess scares me. For people doing stunting and jumping... the MT410 looks like a great choice. Longer wheelbase 1/8 scale monster truggies on the other hand... now we're talking.😎

I was reading just the other night about someone thinking of using the MT410 as the base for a "beefier" SCT410.3 build. The whole thing had my head going in circles🥴 with combinations of MT410/SCT/EB48 parts being used. 🤯

For my SCT410.3, I'll be starting out on 2S just to see how things go. If I run into extreme heat issues, then I may have to think about 3S and lower kV motor.

I stopped by a local RC shop awhile back and was inspired by the dirt track they had out back. I've been researching short course truck options, ever since. Most of my trucks are 1/24th and 1/10th comp crawlers, at this point. Finally settled on a Tekno SCT410.3 kit. I was excited to discover that there was a high end, affordable kit rather than the off the shelf pre built options. I also like to "savor the build". Ordered it from the same shop. Looking forward to the build. Already have a copperhead ESC to install, just need to find the right motor to match.
You will enjoy the build. I have no really important notes to add, just that the recessed areas for the nuts. The plastic that is supposed to grab hold of/surround the nuts, in certain areas (like in pictures below), is not strong enough to allow the amount of tightness that I like. The Akerman Plate was my main concern. Tightening the screw and nut that secures the turnbuckle... the nut would just turn inside the "pocket".
1665519146750.png
1665519204364.png

1665519299447.png

Yes, for a racing environment I'd opt for a sensored setup like you are doing with the Copperhead ESC. I got the SCT410.3 simply for running on my backyard track. A sensored motor doesn't interest me at the moment.

I will add though, that I used to race 1/10 mod buggy classes with one of Castle Creations first surface ESCs... the MambaMax (I still have the combo).
Gotta love their old slogan... MAKE 'EM CRY!
20180521_174629.jpg
20180521_174737.jpg

On a medium size high traction indoor clay track I didn't feel let down with speed control. That MambaMax and motor combo was pretty darn smooth. I wish I would have got the 4600kV motor instead. Even while running 6cell NiMh packs, the 5700kv was just such a handful. I haven't owned a Castle ESC since then, but I'm sure you DeepLCG will enjoy the Copperhead.

Last edited:
I'm not much of a monster truck type of person... too many wheelies and being top heavy I guess scares me. For people doing stunting and jumping... the MT410 looks like a great choice. Longer wheelbase 1/8 scale monster truggies on the other hand... now we're talking.😎

I was reading just the other night about someone thinking of using the MT410 as the base for a "beefier" SCT410.3 build. The whole thing had my head going in circles🥴 with combinations of MT410/SCT/EB48 parts being used. 🤯

For my SCT410.3, I'll be starting out on 2S just to see how things go. If I run into extreme heat issues, then I may have to think about 3S and lower kV motor.
MTs and Truggies are my 2 favorite flavors of RC but I like MTs that are more set up for handling like the Losi LST platform or REVO. Those are a little more like truggies though. I still love regular MTs too though like the Savage or MGT etc. :)

You will enjoy the build. I have no really important notes to add, just that the recessed areas for the nuts. The plastic that is supposed to grab hold of/surround the nuts, in certain areas (like in pictures below), is not strong enough to allow the amount of tightness that I like. The Akerman Plate was my main concern. Tightening the screw and nut that secures the turnbuckle... the nut would just turn inside the "pocket".
View attachment 153940View attachment 153941
View attachment 153942
Yes, for a racing environment I'd opt for a sensored setup like you are doing with the Copperhead ESC. I got the SCT410.3 simply for running on my backyard track. A sensored motor doesn't interest me at the moment.

I will add though, that I used to race 1/10 mod buggy classes with one of Castle Creations first surface ESCs... the MambaMax (I still have the combo).
Gotta love their old slogan... MAKE 'EM CRY!
View attachment 153943 View attachment 153944
On a medium size high traction indoor clay track I didn't feel let down with speed control. That MambaMax and motor combo was pretty darn smooth. I wish I would have got the 4600kV motor instead. Even while running 6cell NiMh packs, the 5700kv was just such a handful. I haven't owned a Castle ESC since then, but I'm sure you DeepLCG will enjoy the Copperhead.
Thank you for the build notes. Did you use any particular method to secure the screw / nut, in those areas?

I've had others comment that the copperhead may overheat, depending on the type of driving I'd be doing. I'd mainly be running 2s, short races. The RX8/Pro4 4300kv combo seem to come highly recommended around various forums / youtube builds. Apparently the truck is very close to the weight limit of the copperhead ESC. Cleary, I've still a lot to learn. If I were to try it, would you have any motor recommendations? I know I've heard of a few people successfully using the copperhead. Just can't remember what combo.

Thank you for the build notes. Did you use any particular method to secure the screw / nut, in those areas?

I've had others comment that the copperhead may overheat, depending on the type of driving I'd be doing. I'd mainly be running 2s, short races. The RX8/Pro4 4300kv combo seem to come highly recommended around various forums / youtube builds. Apparently the truck is very close to the weight limit of the copperhead ESC. Cleary, I've still a lot to learn. If I were to try it, would you have any motor recommendations? I know I've heard of a few people successfully using the copperhead. Just can't remember what combo.
At one point I used needle nosed pliers, and wedged the nut between two flathead screwdrivers.

?? I thought the Copperhead was "rated for" 1/10 scale vehicles weighing up to 7.5 lbs 🤷‍♂️
A 3660 size motor in the 4000~4300kV range would be great. I don't think Castle has such a motor. Tekin, or Hobbywing would be great choices for motor selection.

Also, smallest pinion that will allow proper gear mesh is a 14T even though the manual states TKR4171 ~ TKR4190

Last edited:
?? I thought the Copperhead was "rated for" 1/10 scale vehicles weighing up to 7.5 lbs 🤷‍♂️
If you look up the specs on just the ESC by itself it does say 7.5lbs but if you look up the specific combos for specific types of kits that number fluctuates a lot. I listed 6.5 lbs because thats what Castle says about the SCT combos.

Capture.JPG

At one point I used needle nosed pliers, and wedged the nut between two flathead screwdrivers.

A 3660 size motor in the 4000~4300kV range would be great. I don't think Castle has such a motor. Tekin, or Hobbywing would be great choices for motor selection.

Also, smallest pinion that will allow proper gear mesh is a 14T even though the manual states TKR4171 ~ TKR4190
Think I've settled on a Castle Monster X and Castle 1412-3200KV motor. We shall see how that combo pans out. Thanks again.

Shock Pistons:
I wanted some 8 x 1.4mm tapered pistons, but I see Tekno's are discontinued. After reading about everyone suggesting the "new" indoor/outdoor setup for the SCT410.3, I though I'd try to get close to it. Besides, I run on a very bumpy/rutted track and I thought a piston with less pack would better suite my ride's needs.

I went diggin', and found some Associated 8x 1.3mm shock pistons left over from my eBuggy. I guess that's what I got them for. I had to drill out the center hole of the Associated pistons by about 1/2mm for them to fit on the SCT410.3's shock shafts. The pistons are a perfect fit. Seem to be anyway. Time will tell.
1666140434397.png

1666140457762.png

1666140483598.png

Last edited:
Wheels/Rims Rubbing:
Forgot to mention earlier, about a rubbing/build issue, but some people on interwebs were having clearance problems on front wheels. Removing washers and using a different screw will do wonders...
1671797899011.png

Last edited:
Back