Project Truggy Chaser

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetdiesel

aka SouRGassssssss
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
For this project I am going to mod the Mammoth ST using mostly off the shelf parts to make it more bash and track worthy. Most of the mods are covered at www.racernine.com, but I figured it will be fun to show progress pics here. My goal is to keep the costs as low as possible and achieve a "sleeper" look.

First a quick pic before I tear her down.

35de4475.jpg

Pulled out the stock engine/pipe and AM radio gear. I will using my MP7.5 buggy as a donor vehicle for the replacements. I installed a new on/off switch with charging jack and removed the fuel tank to make room for an XLB 290cc tank.

7587c10f.jpg

2 speed is coming out and an XTM center diff is going in. Diff and new tank should arrive any day now.

aa05db9c.jpg

After removing the center diff plate and steering brace, I found bronze steering bushings. Metal shielding bearings will be their replacement.

1087ef0e.jpg

Shot of the chassis before I dig into the diffs to shim them. For some odd reason the Mammoth has half philips head and half hex head screws. I replaced all philips with hex screws for ease of maintenance.

19440c53.jpg

More pics coming soon, forgot to upload what I did last night.

Dang that is pretty sweet looking. Have ya decided on which motor? P5 still or are ya looking into the Ninja MR series? How much is the diff?

Nice looking rig, and I know racernine has had good luck with it. What mill are you going to run?

For now I plan on running the Nova P5 from my buggy. I also have a Collari .30 that I could run but I'm leaning towards the Nova for more rpms. For pipes I have a JP1 and 2, and OS2050. The P5/JP1 combo worked well with the buggy at my local track, but things may be different with the Mammoth gearing and tires.

Jon the center diff was $50 (yikes!) from hobbypeople.

Damn 50 bones. I forgot you told me that. Damn HP... I am glad though that they redesigned that platform. It looks very race ready and competitve. Have you looked into what other options they have for it?

There are aluminum hopups for it but I have no plans on purchasing them. I'm going to try and keep the sleeper look as much as possible.

Last edited:
Looks good, brother! Be sure to post pics of the progression! Should be a sweet, sweet rig once you're done!

Hey,Hey,Hey..Waaaaiiittt a minute fellas! Did you forget so soon. I was at the RCX show too. I bought mine first. I'm doing some remods too with dom's help Well...I'm still doing them. How come it always has to be about diesel!! Were all brothers here, so send me some post's too.:jk: Guys..Dom and I are kinda workin together on this project..He does all the remods and lets me know what he's doing next, and I follow. So really...were working together on this...Right! Thought you'd see it that way too. Nope, diesel's doing all the work on this one, and I'm just taggen along.

Thanks guys:cheers:

Dan you crack me up. Homework has already been done on this truck at racernine's site. I'm just following his lead. So we are all just following along. LOL

Here are more progress pics.

Took the diffs apart and good news, they are shimmed from the factory.

IMG_0285.jpg

Finished off replacing all the screws with hex heads except for these two at the rear of the bulkheads. Most of my screws are cap heads so they wouldn't clear the rear lower plastic bulkhead brace. Should have bought some button heads. So these 4 screws will stay stock for now.

IMG_0290.jpg

Added a couple washers here since the cap heads have a smaller outer diameter than the philips heads.

IMG_0287.jpg

Pretty cool factory setup, no hingepin retainers or e clips needed because they have a flange that hold them in place.

IMG_0284.jpg

The stock T/B servo has a wimpy 49oz of torque. Installed a Hitec 625 from my buggy in its place. Also put in a 5 cell hump pack and lined the reciever box with a layer of RX foam.

IMG_0282.jpg

RX all wrapped up in foam and squeezed into radio box.

IMG_0283.jpg

I'm going to hack up my starterbox now to make room for the spur gear guard
on the bottom of the chassis.

a454f45a.jpg

Last edited:
nevnitro said:
Hey,Hey,Hey..Waaaaiiittt a minute fellas! Did you forget so soon. I was at the RCX show too. I bought mine first. I'm doing some remods too with dom's help Well...I'm still doing them. How come it always has to be about diesel!! Were all brothers here, so send me some post's too.:jk: Guys..Dom and I are kinda workin together on this project..He does all the remods and lets me know what he's doing next, and I follow. So really...were working together on this...Right! Thought you'd see it that way too. Nope, diesel's doing all the work on this one, and I'm just taggen along.

Thanks guys:cheers:
LOL Dan was the first one to get a rig in his hands without the wannabe bouncers eyeballin you. I thought Dan and I were the only ones that were going to get somethin. Man I hope to get a bash session with you guys. I am sure if we wait till next RCX to do it our rides are going to be pimped out... or we are going to buy another one. LOL I say both for me.

Dan I knew you were for sure gettin one. I thought it was the CRT RTR or the Mammoth ST RTR. We all made great choices.

I'm glad to see some more guys getting the ST. I don't race, but I always wondered how they would do. Looks like a fairly inexpensive platform to build on. I check R9's site every once in a while just to see if there are any updates.

Never quite understood it, but they say the diffs strip because of chasis flex. Might think about getting the braces. http://www.dadders.net/braces-mammothst.htm

Haven't been able to run mine since last fall, but I'm watching real close.
Good luck with it bro.

Here is the rest of tonight's progress. Diff and tank came today. Check out the size difference between the stock and XLB tank. whoa!

8c10a75b.jpg

e30aa743.jpg

center diff mounted and filled with 50K weight oil.

611c50de.jpg

Tank mounted. The adjustable XTM mounts do not work with the P5, so I took the Collari 30 out of retirement. OS T2050 pipe also mounted. Swapped out the Sirio carb from the Collari and threw on the Nova carb for a little experimenting. Collari was sometimes tough to start when hot, we'll see if the condition improves with the P5 carb.

cb80ed7a.jpg

6d2ae200.jpg

She still looks like a RTR. lol

c95d3944.jpg

Time to finish hacking up the starterbox and she will be ready to have her cherry popped. I can't wait to smell the nitro.

I can't wait to hear how she does!

digger said:
I can't wait to hear how she does!

Same hear, very nice truggy SD, good coverage on the build also.

Good luck with her bro!

She's alive!!!! I got a half tank in running 14T CB with the 65T spur. With the overpinched Collari, I have to break her in again but she is showing much more bottom end than before, even running very rich. Just getting her started was a major pain in the rear, she was TIGHT. But once I got her started and needles readjusted she held a nice idle.

One thing I noticed was the rear wheels are very wobbly, I'm going to try shimming out the axles to get rid of the slop. I also have to get used to the size of this rig, it's huge. Steering is not as tight as I would like, I've read that switching over to the aluminum steering posts help tighten it up. I'm going to try shimming out the posts under the steering brace before I make the move to aluminum posts.

So far she's not up to the task of chasing truggies, but she is fun to drive with the torquey engine pushing her around.

admit it Dom, you are going to use "pinky" for the break in.. huh? THe rig looks sweet..the lid..is something else to talk about. What bodies fit that thing? Are you planning on using a Truggy body? or something else like a MT lid?

Yep I had to go with Mr. Pinky. I still need to get the compact gel cell. With the large MT tires the front wheels touch the ground when sitting on top of the box, so I'm starting it on top of a couple 4x4 posts. I'll make a platform later to screw into the bottom of the starterbox.

A slot needed to be cut out to clear the spur gear guard.

0de49704.jpg

The chasiss is offset when it sits on the box. I didn't want to widen the slot in the chassis underneath the flywheel.

0af9746a.jpg

ba7e02b0.jpg

For now I will run the cheap paper thin stock body until it disintegrates. I'm thinking two lid landings will destroy it. After that I would like to run either a MT body or a crowd pleazer, but the chassis is long, so maybe a body from the X1CRT or ST-R. I'm hoping proline will be offering more truggy bodies soon.

Last edited:
It's coming together real nice dom, btw.. That starter box lid looks real
Sweet, Pretty, and very PINK! HAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAA

Sorry Dom, That was a givin. Were Bro's here so I won't make fun of you anymore. he he

nevnitro said:
It's coming together real nice dom, btw.. That starter box lid looks real
Sweet, Pretty, and very PINK! HAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAA

Sorry Dom, That was a givin. Were Bro's here so I won't make fun of you anymore. he he

LOL thanks Dan, it's OK to poke fun, I wouldn't dish it out if I couldn't take it.
The truth is, I know deep down inside you want a PINK starterbox just like me. :hehe:

How is break-in going? Is your steering also wobbly?

oh how sweet he is playing with his pink box. just messin with you. that thing looks awsome.

Back