My new to me x-maxx and what I've done with it so far.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I got it used for $750 with a couple 4S packs, 3S packs and 2 chargers.

I have driven it 3 times so far and I think I've spent half what I paid for it already in parts... lol! Actually, including the extra lipo's I bought, I'm over half.

I've done the following so far, either due to breakage, or for my preference:
  • RPM hinge pins for the upper/lower outer and upper inner. Used spacers to take up the slop on the inner ones (didn't know they weren't all the same). Dremeled down the heads on the upper outer ones for the front so they don't have clearance issues with the steering.
  • Max6, I had a spare one on hand and didn't care for how the vxl-8s felt. It liked to hesitate on me.
  • Killed the stock motor the second time out, tried 21/50 gearing and it got hot. Not sure if it was due to the gearing or the motor fan missing half their blades or just how I drive where I drive. Replaced it with a spektrum 5687/1100kv. Bent the stock cooler to fit it and put 2 new 35mm alloy framed rocket fans in it. Started with 25/50 gearing and the punch set to 3-of-6. Did a lot better, but the motor was still warmer than I'd like. Got a new cooler which has open area under the fans, so the air will hit the motor directly more now, also 40mm fans. Also put a 26T pinion on, so it might not be running at WOT so much and run a bit cooler.
  • M2C mount to fit the larger motor.
  • A couple Arrma 8mm Safe-D pinions for the new motor.
  • 3D Printed gear cover, not sure if it's necessary... but since there's an open hole under the spur that goes down to the center diff... figured I'd try and put something on it to block grass/rocks getting easy access.
  • Added a small cap pack to take some load off the onboard caps.
  • Replaced the lower front arms, busted one and the other was pretty banged up. Got the red HD ones.
  • Replaced broken upper chassis brace.
  • Installed metal gears into the stock servo.
  • HD Servo saver spring/turnbuckle.
  • Replaced broken front/lower bumper mount.
  • Removed the SS alloy center skids that were on it. They were heavy and where I drive, not really necessary.
  • Roof skid, the traxxas body washer bits as it didn't have either of them.
  • 50T GDS spur (destroyed the stock one and wanted to gear up a bit anyway)

Even with all that, I'm really enjoying launching this thing! Just wish it didn't sound like your slamming a dumpster lid every time it lands... lol!

Will likely be getting a probodyrc body for it in the near future. The guy that had it painted it with regular paint and it's falling off all over. Also, it's already pretty beat up.

Fried original spur:
2023-0707-xmaxx-brokenSpur-54T-original.jpg

Blown stock motor:
2023-0715-xmaxx-originalMotorDead-21_50_gearing.jpg

Electronics:
2023-0726-xmaxx-spektrum_SPMXSM2500_5687_1100kv-gearCover-surpassMotorCooler-capPack-side.jpg

Next to my v2 maxx 4s:
2023-0704-xmaxx-maxx-compare.jpg

For those curious, the stock motor 1200xl/1275kv was a 4885 sized can. I replaced it with a 5687. This is a photo of motor's I had for comparison, they are on the left:
2023-0718-motorComparison.jpg

My last bash with it with the new motor and 25/50 gearing:

Isn't that one of the coolest places ever? I love the vids also.

The Xmaxx is serious fun isn't it?
Like most new trucks, fun at first. Will see how this one wears on me as time goes on. It forces me to make two trips to my car when I leave and when I get home, every time. Up and down 3 flights of stairs carrying this thing, then my bag with tools, packs, water, secondary truck, then my parts/camera/remote bag. On the way out isn't so bad... but after being on my feet and wandering around in "nature" for 6+ hours, the trips back up the stairs when I get home aren't any fun. lol!

It is fun though. I've spent quite a bit on it already, but it is getting close to good for what I do. Definitely needs a new body, $160 for that. I wasn't expecting the motor to give up on me so soon. May end up spending another $200+ on a max5 and mount for that too... then the body.

I get it, the baja 5b I built stays in the shed, to damned heavy to move around.

I get it, the baja 5b I built stays in the shed, to damned heavy to move around.
Yeah, I had one of those before. Ended up in the ER when building it... drill got away from me around 2am. Was drilling a hole in a piece of wood so I could pull the big ball ends into the arms with a bolt. I think in the 2 years I had it, I ran maybe 8 tanks of fuel through it... was annoying to carry around, but the biggest issue with it was the pump gas smell in my apartment. Would stink up my work room/office for 2 or 3 days every time I ran it and trigger my wife's migraines.

At least the xmaxx only smells when the electronics burn up. lol!

Since my last post... have done a bit more to it.

• New body from probodyrc
  • 40mm rocket alloy framed fans for the motor cooler
  • Some rubber straps (slingshot type) that go under the chassis and hook on the nerf bars to keep the body from flying off completely when it lands bad and comes unlatched.
  • M2C center brace
  • Flash Hobby 550oz/in servo with HR servo mount/horn, upgraded servo saver spring/turnbuckle.
  • 3D printed bumper mounts
  • Aluminum battery trays
  • New rear diff/pinion (teeth on the original were getting super sharp)
  • New diff output cups and WFO sleeves, 3 of them were split in half, but still functional
  • Split center axle with bearing mount off ebay
  • Max5G2 esc, bought a mount, but made a plate to install it before the mount showed up and haven't used the mount yet.
  • 45mm rocket alloy fan for the max5 G2
  • Dual upper hinge pin plate mod on the front bulkhead
  • RPM threaded hinge pins for the inner upper, outer upper/lower arms (had to use spacers and grind the heads down on some, didn't know GPM made actual ones that fit)
  • Arrma 8D 31T pinion, GDS 46T spur
  • Upgraded cush drive polymer things I got off ebay (stiffer material)
  • Second 3D printed spur cover, first one shattered
  • Alloy spur shaft plate thing
  • New main drive gear and center diff gear, shelled the one on it. I think the bearings on the input shaft died and took the gears out.
  • JB Weld reinforced shock tower
  • Heavier oil for the shocks after rebuilding the seals, Dynamite 1000cst f/r
  • Heavier springs for the shocks: Traxxas 7856 (blue) f/7857 (black) r
That gets the me up to date with where it's at now I think.

Servo:
2023-0803-xmaxx-flashHobby_550ozin_servo_installed-bottom.jpg

Chassis brace:
2023-0805-xmaxx-m2cChassisBrace.jpg

Front tower reinforcement:
2023-1013-xmaxx-frontTower-fillerBlock-jbWeldStick.jpg

I just installed new wheels/tires my wife got me for Christmas. Had to wrap them and balance them first. Took a lot of lead tape to get them to be even close to balanced... So far, I just had the stock 8S xmaxx tires on it that I had wrapped/balanced after getting the truck used. One is tore, that I patched and at least 2 of the wheels are cracked. I installed alloy wheel hexes/hubs she got me.

These are about 4oz heavier on each corner and a bit taller, so hoping it won't cause me to have diff/heat issues:
2023-1226-xmaxx-sledgehammers-side.jpg

Also made a piece to connect the front bumper to the skid. I broke 2 or 3 of the OEM ones and 2 of the RPM ones, then made the one below out of some 1/4" thick LDPE I have on hand. So far, it's been holding up great for me:
2023-1226-xmaxx-sledgehammers-front.jpg

I got some xt90 battery plug holders so I don't have to fiddle with strapping them down each time:
2023-1219-xmaxx-xt90Clamps-top.jpg

Since my last post... have done a bit more to it.

• New body from probodyrc
  • 40mm rocket alloy framed fans for the motor cooler
  • Some rubber straps (slingshot type) that go under the chassis and hook on the nerf bars to keep the body from flying off completely when it lands bad and comes unlatched.
  • M2C center brace
  • Flash Hobby 550oz/in servo with HR servo mount/horn, upgraded servo saver spring/turnbuckle.
  • 3D printed bumper mounts
  • Aluminum battery trays
  • New rear diff/pinion (teeth on the original were getting super sharp)
  • New diff output cups and WFO sleeves, 3 of them were split in half, but still functional
  • Split center axle with bearing mount off ebay
  • Max5G2 esc, bought a mount, but made a plate to install it before the mount showed up and haven't used the mount yet.
  • 45mm rocket alloy fan for the max5 G2
  • Dual upper hinge pin plate mod on the front bulkhead
  • RPM threaded hinge pins for the inner upper, outer upper/lower arms (had to use spacers and grind the heads down on some, didn't know GPM made actual ones that fit)
  • Arrma 8D 31T pinion, GDS 46T spur
  • Upgraded cush drive polymer things I got off ebay (stiffer material)
  • Second 3D printed spur cover, first one shattered
  • Alloy spur shaft plate thing
  • New main drive gear and center diff gear, shelled the one on it. I think the bearings on the input shaft died and took the gears out.
  • JB Weld reinforced shock tower
  • Heavier oil for the shocks after rebuilding the seals, Dynamite 1000cst f/r
  • Heavier springs for the shocks: Traxxas 7856 (blue) f/7857 (black) r
That gets the me up to date with where it's at now I think.

Servo:
2023-0803-xmaxx-flashHobby_550ozin_servo_installed-bottom.jpg

Chassis brace:
2023-0805-xmaxx-m2cChassisBrace.jpg

Front tower reinforcement:
2023-1013-xmaxx-frontTower-fillerBlock-jbWeldStick.jpg

I just installed new wheels/tires my wife got me for Christmas. Had to wrap them and balance them first. Took a lot of lead tape to get them to be even close to balanced... So far, I just had the stock 8S xmaxx tires on it that I had wrapped/balanced after getting the truck used. One is tore, that I patched and at least 2 of the wheels are cracked. I installed alloy wheel hexes/hubs she got me.

These are about 4oz heavier on each corner and a bit taller, so hoping it won't cause me to have diff/heat issues:
2023-1226-xmaxx-sledgehammers-side.jpg

Also made a piece to connect the front bumper to the skid. I broke 2 or 3 of the OEM ones and 2 of the RPM ones, then made the one below out of some 1/4" thick LDPE I have on hand. So far, it's been holding up great for me:
2023-1226-xmaxx-sledgehammers-front.jpg

I got some xt90 battery plug holders so I don't have to fiddle with strapping them down each time:
2023-1219-xmaxx-xt90Clamps-top.jpg
Thats good stuff brutha!

Back