Doom's TRX-4M Land Rover

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doom!

Team Dust Devil
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
I figured Land Rover should have it's own build thread, well more of a mod thread really, but you know what I mean.
A while back I made some graphics for it.
PSX_20221122_152737.jpg

I recently I reversed out the hood graphic, liked it better with a little more contrast
PSX_20230114_135446.jpg

Today I decided to drop the low gearing transmission into it. It really made it's low end crawling much better, less jerky. Keep in mind this does cut the top speed of the truck in half, so be aware if you plan to use it as a trail truck the lower gears may be an option you want to avoid. It works great for my purposes though.
PSX_20230114_134839.jpg

I didn't take pics of the whole process as it was a pretty simple swap. Only eight 1.5 mm hex screws had to be removed then replaced. First up was removing the battery tray (2 screws). Then unbolt the motor transmission combo. (4 screws)

Here is a pic of the standard gearbox and the low end gearbox. Of course they look the same. The next step was to swap the drive shafts from one box to the other. (2 screws).
PSX_20230114_135323.jpg

Once the drive shafts have been swapped the the new gearbox you just drop it back in place making sure to get both the front and back driveshafts back in place. I wasn't paying attention and had the front pop out before I noticed it and had to unmount it and put it back in place. DOH!

Once this is done just reattach the battery tray and plug the motor back in and your golden. :)
It would have only taken about 10 minutes if I hadn't missed the disconnected drive shaft.
PSX_20230114_135002.jpg

Anyhow, it's a really easy mod, if you want to improve your low end crawling speed and control.

I also added the light kit for the Land Rover. Another quick easy mod. Pretty much remove four 1.5mm hex screws, remove the existing inner light buckets, and insert the LED's. It really spruces the Rover up. Headlights are nice and bright, tail lights look good and the back up lights work great.
PSX_20230114_134326.jpg

PSX_20230114_134509.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, J!

I haven't researched it, but is there a way to remove the initial braking from the trigger? I can't really understand why the Traxxas designers felt it was necessary to preinstall it this way, on such a small scale crawler. I've yet to have any issues with any of my 5 FMS 1/18 rigs not having that braking feature.

Man, if I didn't know that was 1/18, I wouldn't know it was 1/18. Looking great man.

Looks good, J!

I haven't researched it, but is there a way to remove the initial braking from the trigger? I can't really understand why the Traxxas designers felt it was necessary to preinstall it this way, on such a small scale crawler. I've yet to have any issues with any of my 5 FMS 1/18 rigs not having that braking feature.
Honestly, I haven't looked into it. The radio is pretty basic, I don't remember seeing any settings on the receiver either. I picked up a furitek combo motor and esc for the TRX-4M Bronco, so it won't have that issue. Waiting for some more parts before I install it. It will probably just be a matter of time before I get a furitek for the Rover too. Trying to spread the budget across several projects at the moment.

I like those graphics, lookin sharp dude!! I also swapped out for the crawler gears (and also had it back together then realized the driveshaft had popped out)…oops
Gearing is sweet for low speed crawling.
Inexpensive and easily done.
Highly recommend

What is this  manual thing to which you speak of?
You press in on the far left pedal, then grab the lever coming up through the center of the floorboard and force it into the various gears. After shearing off a few teeth on the ole cogs, it should fall into gear. Then you release the left pedal and mash your foot down on the far right pedal.

Pro tip: never take your right foot off the pedal. This technique is called "speed shifting" 🤣

Back