Project HPI

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wreckkid

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I'm extremely new to the nitro rc car community. I am 17 and today i got my first rc car. I'm not sure what model it is but its an hpi something. It measures 14 inches long and an 8 inch wheel base. If any of you know what model it is that would be greatly appreciated. I also need to know the scale size because i want a body and can't buy one until i know. Thanks! Ill be updating this with everything i do to it so It will grow rapidly hopefully!

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 216
It's belt so maybe an rs4 2?! I looked up the dimensions and I'm pretty damn sure its a rs4 2, so it's a 1/10th scale. I thought it might be the super nitro but it's to small. You're also going to need a pipe for that as well.

Thanks and The wheel base is 10 inches I measured wrong. Also I need a new 2 channel receiver. I just bought a switch and battery pack. I also bought a pull start so by friday it should at least be running hopefully. Keep my fingers crossed.

Wont be running without an exhaust pipe on there or at least I hope not :)

Ok I'll go out and buy one now. Also does anyone know of a cheap good quality 2 channel receiver?

Just got back from the hobby shop. Just bought an air filter, rear springs, a 4 way wrench, and a new glow plug. I also ordered a new switch and battery pack and also a new pull start. Both of which should be coming by Friday. I am also purchasing a BMW e30 m3 shell if anyone knows a good site. Also should I install the parts now or wait for all of them to come in?

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 193
What kind of transmitter do you have? Also look into getting the foam part for that bumper, for the pipe you can get the aluminum hpi one that replaces the stock one for about $40. Just curious how much did you pay for the car.

I traded the po 2 subs and an amp i had laying around my room for about a year. Figured it should go to someone that will use it. My transmitter is a stock hpi one.

Attachments

• IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 165
I can't tell, but looking at that plug, it may not be the one you'd want. Just a typical OS #3 hot plug should work fine in that engine.

What's the part # on that plug? I'd hate to see you put the wrong thing in there and damage the engine at your first attempt.

Doesn't say a part number. But i bought it from hobbytown. It said it was made for .12 to .15 nitro engines and i did a lot of research recently and found out the engine on my car is .15 so going by that i think it should fit.

Parts should have come today but hopefully will come tommorow. Then I'll get it running and maybe post a video.

So as of right now its still not running. I have also given up on the fix it cheap run it till it dies deal. Right now I am in need of a parts website that sells parts for my HPI RS4 2. I need the stock battery cover, all new screws, gas tank, engine sink, front and rear dog bones, and a full exhaust header and all. If anyone can help me find parts that would be greatly appreciated!

ebay is an RC hobbyist dream for cheap parts, I'm sure you can inter change parts on your RS4 just like how the savage can with all its models, but I'm not 100% on that

I know at least for engine parts I cannot due to the engine on anything after the 2 being on the left of the car instead of on the right but I'm not sure if the suspension is the same or not. And another question I just thought of is would an hpi 1/10 scale bmw e30 body fit my car or no I cannot find answers to that online.

I recently ordered a rotostart, and also new clutch shoes and springs because I accidentally bent and ruined the old springs. I am currently in the process of rebuilding the car since I decided I should give it a proper tear down and clean and when I put it all back together after cleaning the carburetor and the engine and all of the gears, gas tank, and belts, I pray it will start up for me after all of this!

Almost all back together now. My pull start and clutch should come in tommorow!

Attachments

• IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 169
The beamer body should fit no prob. Just about any 190mm body will work and most 200mm bodies will fit as well. You may need to trim and customize some small stuff but thats part of the hobby. The OS powerplant you have is probably perfect for that rig. A nice power curve with a ton of topend. I upgraded to an OS .18 in my MT2 and my Tmaxx and havent looked back since. Nice build/rebuild so far!!

Last edited:
I had to do some "Improvising" to get the rotostart to sit right on the engine. Apparently the bearing that i have isnt the stock one and was to long and kept pushing the rotostart out so as I said I improvised and it works now. Also my clutch is back together. Now all I need is a new cooling head, an exhaust, and the bmw e30 body. Ill post pictures soon!