Project: Tortuga!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 380 motor has a diameter of about 28mm.

“Kv” refers to the constant velocity of a motor (not to be confused with “kV,” the abbreviation for kilovolt). It is measured by the number of revolutions per minute (rpm) that a motor turns when 1V (one volt) is applied with no load attached to that motor.

So at 7.4v, a 4000Kv motor will turn 29,600 RPM.
4000 X 7.4 = 29,600

You could try this motor maybe?
Hosim 28/45 Brushless Motor Q901-DJ01 High Speed Brushless Car Truck Q903 Accessory Supplies https://a.co/d/4KqCa1F

I think this one is 3200kv. Not sure if that would do well in your RC because I have no idea how fast the OEM one is.

Last edited:
So I got everything together and it's making and AWFUL noise!.. hmm.. maybe the moly paste wasn't what we needed. Thought for sure that stuff would've worked.
Gonna take it apart again and see what I can come up with back at the Drawing Board!

I can't figure out how to post the video I took of it

@JustnWynn You need to post vids to youtube or similar site and link it to here to share vids.

@WickedFog you just hurt my brain with all that math formula stuff.

Bubba J Lol GIF by Jeff Dunham

IT WORKS!
got it all together and it works like a dream!
20240308_191703.jpg

So... to do:
Gotta make a cargo area/truck bed
Then finish paint and body including lights and a rack on top.
Then maybe that motor that @wickedfrog was talking about with a couple new 2sLiPos!
😁👍

A 380 motor has a diameter of about 28mm.

“Kv” refers to the constant velocity of a motor (not to be confused with “kV,” the abbreviation for kilovolt). It is measured by the number of revolutions per minute (rpm) that a motor turns when 1V (one volt) is applied with no load attached to that motor.

So at 7.4v, a 4000Kv motor will turn 29,600 RPM.
4000 X 7.4 = 29,600

You could try this motor maybe?
Hosim 28/45 Brushless Motor Q901-DJ01 High Speed Brushless Car Truck Q903 Accessory Supplies https://a.co/d/4KqCa1F

I think this one is 3200kv. Not sure if that would do well in your RC because I have no idea how fast the OEM one is.
Oem was supposed to be 40kph. Never had a way to check that though.
Do yiu think we can up the max mph since now I've got metal gears in there?
What motor would you recommend for that with a 2s lipo?

Last edited:
I would try that Hosim motor I linked. See how that does. But you will need a brushless ESC as well. You could use this one...
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...3KrYIGtLIrhtIOX2LDM3Xhm4ZApw6pBUaAjeFEALw_wcB

From there, you could just try different pinion sizes to get it running how you want. Just make sure you get an infrared temp gun (around $10 on Amazon). Keep your electronics below 160°F or so to keep them from burning up. If your motor gets too hot, your pinion is too big.

That requires you to figure out what gearing your truck has first.
https://www.engineersedge.com/gear_pitch_chart.htm

If I had to guess, your gears are possibly .6 mod (metric pitch designation for gear pitch). If you measure your spur gear with a caliper and count the teeth, you can get a pretty close guess. The actual pitch (or module) diameter comes from the point on the teeth where the two gears meet each other, wich would be here...
ti9uH.jpg

If you measure your spur gear (in metric) aiming for this area of your gear, you can get close enough to know what your gears are. Odds are, they are metric gears.

The calculation would be
Pitch diameter (module diameter for metric) ÷ number of teeth.

So if your gear's module diameter measures, lets say 24mm, and has 40 teeth:
24÷40=.6 module

Last edited:
I would try that Hosim motor I linked. See how that does. But you will need a brushless ESC as well. You could use this one...
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...3KrYIGtLIrhtIOX2LDM3Xhm4ZApw6pBUaAjeFEALw_wcB

From there, you could just try different pinion sizes to get it running how you want. Just make sure you get an infrared temp gun (around $10 on Amazon). Keep your electronics below 160°F or so to keep them from burning up. If your motor gets too hot, your pinion is too big.

That requires you to figure out what gearing your truck has first.
https://www.engineersedge.com/gear_pitch_chart.htm

If I had to guess, your gears are possibly .6 mod (metric pitch designation for gear pitch). If you measure your spur gear with a caliper and count the teeth, you can get a pretty close guess. The actual pitch (or module) diameter comes from the point on the teeth where the two gears meet each other, wich would be here...
View attachment 184180

If you measure your spur gear (in metric) aiming for this area of your gear, you can get close enough to know what your gears are. Odds are, they are metric gears.

The calculation would be
Pitch diameter (module diameter for metric) ÷ number of teeth.

So if your gear's module diameter measures, lets say 24mm, and has 40 teeth:
24÷40=.6 module
Wow... just.. 👌
That's freaking awesome!

But I think we're done with the electronic/mechanics on this one. I've got way too many other projects to change the plan at this point.
It works. I don't wanna mess with that.

But I can promise I will be using that pinion gear stuff for one or more of my projects!

I had an idea for this one last night though.. gonna try to make the bed into an extra battery holder 😁

Can someone point me in the direction of steering linkages?? Here's what I've got:
20240310_183307.jpg

Becuase the aftermarket differentials are a little wider.. my steering arms are too short.. causing some serious toe out problems...

so.. how do i know what sizes i need? Do they just scew in like the stock ones do? Will i have to redo all of the steering or can i just get away with these 2?:
20240310_183049.jpg

20240310_183055.jpg

Where do I measure to find the one that I need?
I'm totally lost here.. so any help would be much appreciated

Cheers fellas

You can buy links and rods ends separately. You just need to measure yours to see how long you need.

Ok.. is there a measurement I need to have like the diameter of the mounting holes?
Or is it just length then figure out how to mount them?

Wish I had an answer for you but that's beyond my knowledge base. :(
All good, homie. 😁.. I just appreciate you lookin!

Ok.. is there a measurement I need to have like the diameter of the mounting holes?
Or is it just length then figure out how to mount them?

All good, homie. 😁.. I just appreciate you lookin!
Yeah, they should be like 2mm or 3mm screws going through those link ends. Find out what those are, then measure from eye to eye to get the length. Let me know what those nunbers are and I can find some parts for ya.