trying my first upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to an actual hobby shop tomorrow while my wife has a visit in louisville tomorrow, thinking i should get some grease and shock fluids, as they seem to be something i would need considering the direction this hobby is taking me. I'm going to bring the car into them to see if they can give me any ideas as well. but man.... i feel like thats cheating somehow. like I'm taking the easy way. i dont learn from easy.. i learn from making painful mistakes that i am careful not to repeat. I'm the kid who touched the fire even tho you told him not to.. then touched it again just to show you i knew better but was making a choice. then never touched fire again for another 40 years...... taking it to a pro seems like I'm going to make the same mistake again... i digress. any suggetions on things to look out for in a hobby shop other than cars? watch my ass walk out with a kit... dont do it John...

I'm going to an actual hobby shop tomorrow while my wife has a visit in louisville tomorrow, thinking i should get some grease and shock fluids, as they seem to be something i would need considering the direction this hobby is taking me. I'm going to bring the car into them to see if they can give me any ideas as well. but man.... i feel like thats cheating somehow. like I'm taking the easy way. i dont learn from easy.. i learn from making painful mistakes that i am careful not to repeat. I'm the kid who touched the fire even tho you told him not to.. then touched it again just to show you i knew better but was making a choice. then never touched fire again for another 40 years...... taking it to a pro seems like I'm going to make the same mistake again... i digress. any suggetions on things to look out for in a hobby shop other than cars? watch my ass walk out with a kit... dont do it John...
Just don't let them sell you a Traxxas charger and batteries and you'll be ok 😉

only brough 400 cash and the one i wanted was 5 so they helped me not buy one with their available stock, so for now we are4 still dreaming and planning, untill then we are tinkering
scale reproductions were kinda elitist old men who were insulted that i didnt already know as much as them, wont ever be back to that store, but hobbytown people were really nice, showed me their crawlers talked for like 45 mins about crawling, and rc in general, made me feel welcome, i liked it. they looked at the monster and were confused as to why its doing what its doing, best suggestion i can get is its PROBABLY reciever related. I'm in talks with amazon for a replacement.
423541625_249453814875488_7506479201004895958_n.jpg

whats this pin called? i had wheels removed to tinker, was checking transmitter, accidfentally gave it throttle and ZING heard something whizz passed my face, that little pin shot out from one of the axles... it hold the nut that holds the wheel in place, without it it seems to spin freely.
423541645_423597170235891_3729076991462465338_n.jpg
423454454_385499554119240_3729838576038814178_n.jpg
its a 6mm shaft. i remembered my 2997a came with a few extra part, so i looked around and found a 10 mm shaft. not sure what its ACTUALLY for, but now its for this, i snipped it off as close to 6 m as i could then grabbed some sand paper and sanded it down a few times, now it fits.

score. now since I'm having a reciever issue allegedly, it seems like it just laggs and doesn't recieve like its supposed to,
but i think its something else at same time. mainly because when i have it suspended in air it works 100% but when i put it on the wheels it acts janky.. why would its orientation matter? especially to the reciever

423737893_887566783164974_5844376330267707805_n.jpg

Just curious, have you tried it on the ground with the remote close to the vehicle? could be an antenna issue if it works while it's close.

only brough 400 cash and the one i wanted was 5 so they helped me not buy one with their available stock, so for now we are4 still dreaming and planning, untill then we are tinkering
scale reproductions were kinda elitist old men who were insulted that i didnt already know as much as them, wont ever be back to that store, but hobbytown people were really nice, showed me their crawlers talked for like 45 mins about crawling, and rc in general, made me feel welcome, i liked it. they looked at the monster and were confused as to why its doing what its doing, best suggestion i can get is its PROBABLY reciever related. I'm in talks with amazon for a replacement.
View attachment 182569
whats this pin called? i had wheels removed to tinker, was checking transmitter, accidfentally gave it throttle and ZING heard something whizz passed my face, that little pin shot out from one of the axles... it hold the nut that holds the wheel in place, without it it seems to spin freely.View attachment 182570View attachment 182571 its a 6mm shaft. i remembered my 2997a came with a few extra part, so i looked around and found a 10 mm shaft. not sure what its ACTUALLY for, but now its for this, i snipped it off as close to 6 m as i could then grabbed some sand paper and sanded it down a few times, now it fits.

score. now since I'm having a reciever issue allegedly, it seems like it just laggs and doesn't recieve like its supposed to,
but i think its something else at same time. mainly because when i have it suspended in air it works 100% but when i put it on the wheels it acts janky.. why would its orientation matter? especially to the reciever

View attachment 182572
Hex pin or axle pin. You need the right diameter as they come in different sizes. Looks to be a 2mm pin?

That still looks like it's cogging to me, but really bad. And you being new to this, you won't have other parts to try the whole trial and error thing swapping out parts.

I would suggest running it as best you can and get things heated up, then check temps at all electrical connections as well as ESC and motor temps. It could be a bad solder joint somewhere. If you don't have an infrared temp gun, grab a cheap one off Amazon. They're typically around $15 or so. If you don't have one, you can use your fingers. If you can't leave your finger on an electrical component for more than a couple seconds, it's too hot.

From there, if you see no issues, it likely will be a guessing game of replacing one component at a time.

Last edited:
Hex pin or axle pin. You need the right diameter as they come in different sizes. Looks to be a 2mm pin?

That still looks like it's cogging to me, but really bad. And you being new to this, you won't have other parts to try the whole trial and error thing swapping out parts.

I would suggest running it as best you can and get things heated up, then check temps at all electrical connections as well as ESC and motor temps. It could be a bad solder joint somewhere. If you don't have an infrared temp gun, grab a cheap one off Amazon. They're typically around $15 or so. If you don't have one, you can use your fingers. If you can't leave your finger on an electrical component for more than a couple seconds, it's too hot.

From there, if you see no issues, it likely will be a guessing game of replacing one component at a time.
i have aheat gun yeah ill give it a try that out in just a feew mins, ill shoot it with the lazer, and sadly your correct i dont have the parts toi swap and try... yet... yet.. lol

i have aheat gun yeah ill give it a try that out in just a feew mins, ill shoot it with the lazer, and sadly your correct i dont have the parts toi swap and try... yet... yet.. lol
If you plan on buying more RC's, and because you may want to start replacing components, and because it's such a great deal, I would probably start with this...
HOBBYAMTE Flysky FS-GT3B Rc Transmitter Receiver 2.4Ghz 3 Channel, with FS-GR3E Failsafe Receiver https://a.co/d/8ldNv0c

Last edited:

after a few mins of full send
esc 140f, that seems a little hot
motor right around 100.
reciever 88
outside temp 63
i think I'm going to put the factory motor back in and see if that makes any difference.

Just getting that smoke out of there lightened up the RC. Always look on the bright side 🙃

Where did you buy that esc?

lol, yea probly lighter now lol. amazon , i got what i paid for seeing if i can send back for a refund but not holding my breath, is what it is, next time ill order a good brand, id like to know why it happened tho
i switched the smaller motor back on, then put the factory batteries in it, next thing we know it smells like ozone so i turnb it off and put it on floor, a min later sisterinlaw says eww whats that smell i pick up the car, realise i left battery connected so i go to unplug that and notice the bacttery is melting, so i put it on porch and pluged it in and turned it on, whoom smoke show. and smelly.
so what either bad battery? or how would a smaller weaker battery fry it like that, i must have done sokething wrong when putting it back together oof

Back